Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 7 2012, 07:48 PM   #1021
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

The toy gods have smiled on me these past few days. I found a 6" inch Loki figure, and a 4" Hawkeye, both of which have been eluding me for some time. Also, the Club Infinite Earth subscriptions pulled an 11th hour victory, and the sub for next year will go through. I get to have my Wally West, and Larfleeze, and Saint Walker. Yay!

Last edited by OdoWanKenobi; August 7 2012 at 08:18 PM.
OdoWanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 08:13 PM   #1022
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

^
Awesome news, man...I'm happy for ya!

Even in the era of generally craptastic distribution for pretty much most toys it seems we can still make some great scores if we remain persistent.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 08:26 PM   #1023
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

It actually looks like the second wave of Avengers figures are starting to hit in pretty good numbers. Of course, Hawkeye and Black Widow are still getting scooped up fast, but I've been finding Skrulls at even the crappy Wal Marts. Now if only Hasbro could make the 6" Hawkeye and Hulk show up somewhere near me. Oh, and they need to make a freaking Black Widow in the 6" scale. What the heck is wrong with them, releasing everyone but one character?
Old August 7 2012, 08:32 PM   #1024
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

This is the company that is making the final, highly prized 12-figure wave of the Vintage Collection a limited-run online exclusive. A wave with several perfect army builders that, now, only the fairly well-off will be able to amass squads and squads of.

Guessing why Hasbro does what it does is about as pointless an exercise as one can engage in, but I'm happy to hear the second wave of Avengers figures is showing up in better numbers. That's cool.

Old August 7 2012, 08:41 PM   #1025
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

This may be funny only to me, but:

When Gotham is Ashes.....
Old August 7 2012, 08:42 PM   #1026
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

"Come get some."

Love it!

Old August 7 2012, 08:47 PM   #1027
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

NECA makes some god damn awesome stuff, don't they? I wish they would revisit Army Of Darkness, now since their two figures seem a little dated in the articulation department. The sculpts are still pretty great, though even all these years later.
Old August 8 2012, 03:51 AM   #1028
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
It actually looks like the second wave of Avengers figures are starting to hit in pretty good numbers. Of course, Hawkeye and Black Widow are still getting scooped up fast, but I've been finding Skrulls at even the crappy Wal Marts. Now if only Hasbro could make the 6" Hawkeye and Hulk show up somewhere near me. Oh, and they need to make a freaking Black Widow in the 6" scale. What the heck is wrong with them, releasing everyone but one character?
They're still holding onto the long-held idea that female action figures don't sell that well in US retail stores, so they produce them either in limited numbers or not at all.
Old August 8 2012, 03:57 AM   #1029
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Unless they're female characters from Star Wars. But even then the only female characters that sell like hotcakes are Princess Leia in a slave bikini or the ones based on the Expanded Universe(novels, video games, etc.), and then largely because they're EU figures and those always have much higher secondary market value than your average Luke, Qui-Gon or Rebel officer.

Being shortpacked or not carried forward in later waves and case assortments plays into that as well. Thinking it might be the only time you ever see that figure adds to the popularity.

Old August 8 2012, 03:58 AM   #1030
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Female figures don't sell? Then why can't I find the 4" Black Widow anywhere? Where's all the Madame Masques from Marvel Legends that should be warming the pegs.
Old August 8 2012, 04:28 AM   #1031
Davros
Fleet Admiral

City Of Villains Heroclix

This fight won't last long.
Old August 8 2012, 09:31 PM   #1032
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

The toy gods have smiled on me these past few days. I found a 6" inch Loki figure, and a 4" Hawkeye, both of which have been eluding me for some time. Also, the Club Infinite Earth subscriptions pulled an 11th hour victory, and the sub for next year will go through. I get to have my Wally West, and Larfleeze, and Saint Walker. Yay!

WOW!!!! Given that DC has kicked Wally to the curb its cool that he's still getting a figure
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 09:34 PM   #1033
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

Are you also collecting the Marvel Select versions of the these? They need to make an Avengers version of Cap. I think they they already did a Black Widow and it was exclusive to the Disney Store. The Hawkeye MS figures are easy to find.

Green Day
Old August 8 2012, 09:37 PM   #1034
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Unless they're female characters from Star Wars. But even then the only female characters that sell like hotcakes are Princess Leia in a slave bikini or the ones based on the Expanded Universe(novels, video games, etc.), and then largely because they're EU figures and those always have much higher secondary market value than your average Luke, Qui-Gon or Rebel officer.

Being shortpacked or not carried forward in later waves and case assortments plays into that as well. Thinking it might be the only time you ever see that figure adds to the popularity.

Well there really are not that many non-EU female characters in Star Wars

Green Day
Old August 9 2012, 12:33 AM   #1035
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Female figures don't sell? Then why can't I find the 4" Black Widow anywhere?
Because they didn't make a lot of them. Usually there's only one to a case. And if someone gets it before you do, well...that may have been the one and only time that figure was there at that store.
Where's all the Madame Masques from Marvel Legends that should be warming the pegs.
See above response. But I did see one Madame Masque warming the pegs at my local Target. It's been sitting there for over a month now. Next stop: the markdown bin if it's not sold in the next several weeks (Target really doesn't like peg warmers).
cooleddie74 wrote:
Hasbro still has collectors in mind (or at least partially) in that regard by making female figures at all for both Star Wars and their Marvel toylines.

When Hasbro tried to rebrand the 3.75-inch G.I. Joe line into the 8-inch Sigma 6 line during the mid 2000s, it was noticeably absent of any female characters (despite well-known ones like Scarlett and the Baroness appearing in the accompanying cartoon series). They actually did the same thing ten years earlier with G.I. Joe: Extreme--no female figures, despite having ones in the cartoon. Hasbro even skipped having any female figures in the G.I. Joe toyline that came immediately after the 2009 Rise of Cobra movie.

The short-lived A.T.O.M. cartoon series that aired on Jetix (formerly Toon Disney, now Disney XD) had a prominent female character, yet no action figure of her was ever made.

The live-action Green Lantern movie didn't have any female Lanterns in any speaking roles, but there were some in various background shots. Mattel opted not to make any, but did make some male Lanterns that were conceptual designs not actually used in the movie.
Yep. Most stores will only carry one or two of them ever, so it's very much first come, first served. Everyone else, try eBay or an online toy store.