Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 7 2012, 09:44 AM   #1396
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

sojourner wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Being inspired by somebody else's concept to create something of your own is great-- using their ideas instead of your own is not great (and by "you" I mean the generic "you").
See, pre hyphen and post hyphen here are in conflict. At what point does "being inspired" cross over into "using ideas"? What's wrong with using ideas as a jumping off point?
Nothing is wrong with using them as a jumping off point-- that's being inspired by them. What I'm talking about it using them as they are.

Ever heard the saying "good artists borrow, great artists steal"?
Sure. It's funny, but it's not true.

BTW, I'm curious, what type of stuff have you written?
Mostly short fiction and poetry. In terms of genres? Pretty much everything, even a bit of mainstream.
Old August 7 2012, 03:59 PM   #1397
sojourner
Admiral

Sure. It's funny, but it's not true.
Seriously? got any proof it's not?
BTW, I'm curious, what type of stuff have you written?
Mostly short fiction and poetry. In terms of genres? Pretty much everything, even a bit of mainstream.
Who's your publisher?
Old August 7 2012, 10:21 PM   #1398
RJDiogenes

I don't need any.

Who's your publisher?
Lulu, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
Old August 7 2012, 11:28 PM   #1399
sojourner
Admiral

I don't need any.
So you're just making shit up?

Who's your publisher?
Lulu, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
So, you don't have a publisher in the traditional form. Just self published. How's that workin' out for ya?
Old August 8 2012, 01:45 AM   #1400
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Getting the thread back on track, is anybody else having trouble keeping Defiance and Revolution straight, just because of the similar titles?

God help us if somebody greenlights a show called "Rebellion" . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 8 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 01:51 AM   #1401
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Er, ignore this. I somehow missed the point of your post.
Old August 8 2012, 05:03 AM   #1402
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Getting the thread back on track, is anybody else having trouble keeping Defiance and Revolution straight
No, but if Defender gets greenlit, I'm definitely going to get that mixed up with Defiance all the time.

Josh Whedon to develop Avengers show for ABC.

So, Namor anyone?

If I had my choice, I'd opt for a WWII era series on the adventures of Cap and Bucky, even at the cost of having to recast Cap with an Evans look-alike. For Bucky, Sebastian Stan would be available since Political Animals is pretty much toast in the ratings and Once Upon a Time won't keep him busy with his recurring role.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; August 8 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 05:14 AM   #1403
JD
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Getting the thread back on track, is anybody else having trouble keeping Defiance and Revolution straight, just because of the similar titles?

God help us if somebody greenlights a show called "Rebellion" . . . .
I honestly hadn't noticed the similarity in the titles before.
Old August 8 2012, 05:20 AM   #1404
sojourner
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
For Bucky, Sebastian Stan would be available since Political Animals is pretty much toast in the ratings and Once Upon a Time won't keep him busy with his recurring role.
Never mind the fact that Political Animals is a limited run series to begin with.
Old August 8 2012, 08:30 AM   #1405
Harvey
Admiral

For Bucky, Sebastian Stan would be available since Political Animals is pretty much toast in the ratings and Once Upon a Time won't keep him busy with his recurring role.
Never mind the fact that Political Animals is a limited run series to begin with.
USA was eyeing it to be a regular series, though -- if the ratings were there. They weren't.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 09:34 AM   #1406
RJDiogenes

Uh, no. You're the one who made the assertion, so the burden of proof is on you.

So, you don't have a publisher in the traditional form. Just self published. How's that workin' out for ya?
Pretty well, thanks. This is a great time for independent creators and always getting better (just ask Chris Mihm ). The problem is advertising, of course, but I've sold a decent number of copies in at least six or seven countries and gotten great feedback from my readers. Also, being an independent creator has put me in touch with other independent creators, from writers to artists to filmmakers to rock'n'roll musicians, so I'm experiencing a lot of great stuff that's bypassed the suit-and-tie filter.
Old August 8 2012, 05:19 PM   #1407
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Right, like USA would ignore killer ratings and not extend the series if they could. Why else is the plot line being set up for a multiyear arc, with Elaine challenging the President? It's stunningly obvious what their real plan was, and their crappy ratings scuttled it.

And since we all talking about RJDiogenes' artistic endeavors now, I'm curious. Where can I get a sample of your stuff and of course the first chapter is free, right?

Self publishing is one of those areas that seem to be burgeoning in all directions now, parallel to YouTube and freemium games where the revenue stream is based in virtual goods. The problem for all such producers is exactly what you're running into - building awareness. As the corporate barriers for publishing books, games, etc fall down, the sheer volume of content creates another barrier - the need for filtering and matching content with a consumers' interests.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; August 8 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 08:25 PM   #1408
sojourner
Admiral

Uh, no. You're the one who made the assertion, so the burden of proof is on you.
The existence of every form of remake and retelling over the past 100,000 years IS my proof. Writers, musicians, artists, architects, Hollywood, Samsung, Sony, Apple, the list goes on and on of people re-using ideas. Some out right copying while others make them their own.
Old August 8 2012, 11:14 PM   #1409
RJDiogenes

^^ Great artists are the ones that good artists steal from, because they're the ones who create original works. It's just that lesser artists outnumber the great ones by orders of magnitude.

And since we all talking about RJDiogenes' artistic endeavors now, I'm curious. Where can I get a sample of your stuff and of course the first chapter is free, right?
Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, there's no free chapters, but my e-book is only 99 cents; it's available for the Nook and Kindle. Also, if you search for "Rick Hutchins" on Google Books, you can see some excerpts from my paperbacks Large In Time, The RH Factor and King of the Zombies. My deviantArt and YouTube pages are free, of course, and the links are in my sig.

Self publishing is one of those areas that seem to be burgeoning in all directions now, parallel to YouTube and freemium games where the revenue stream is based in virtual goods. The problem for all such producers is exactly what you're running into - building awareness. As the corporate barriers for publishing books, games, etc fall down, the sheer volume of content creates another barrier - the need for filtering and matching content with a consumers' interests.
That's exactly it. Advertising is expensive and what I've attempted hasn't been worth the expense. Even the ad in Weird Tales didn't do that much. I'm thinking about trying a couple of other niche publications later this year.
Old August 8 2012, 11:32 PM   #1410
sojourner
Admiral

^^ Great artists are the ones that good artists steal from, because they're the ones who create original works. It's just that lesser artists outnumber the great ones by orders of magnitude.
Even the great artists steal/are influenced by previous artists. Especially in fiction. There is no plot that hasn't been used before.