Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 31 2012, 12:55 AM   #181
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Newsroom.

Think how humanizing it must have been for Will to have all these questions about his inadequacy of being infatuated with a paragon rendered moot after she rebranded herself as a cheater.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 01:02 AM   #182
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Mmh, I hadn't thought about it that way. But it seems any relief about that was outweighed by his heart being broken.
Old July 31 2012, 07:58 AM   #183
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
He is an amalgam of several real life anchors I'm sure. I can see a little Matthews in thre.
i hope not the one who wrote "life as a Campaing".
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:26 PM   #184
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The climax of the interview with the Santorum spokesperson was enormously well done. I've actually had a conversation that went very closely along those lines not too long ago and it is pretty hard to look down on someone who believes so strongly in an issue (faith, sanctity of life, whatever it be) that they knowingly and willfully would deny themselves respect, acceptance and freedom to accomplish what they "know to be right."
Yeah, I really liked that scene, my favourite of the show so far. It was nice that there was finally a Republican (I don't count Will as one no matter how much Sorkin claims he is) on the show that wasn't just a stuffed shirt for Sorkin to rant against. Watching two equal but opposing forces face off against one another is much more mesmerising than watching a hurricane knock over a scarecrow.

Other than that, I liked the length Will went to to fuck with MacKenzie, it was a delightfully dickish thing to do.

CaptainCanada wrote:
Olivia Munn is turning out to be easily the best actress on this show, which I wasn't remotely expecting. Partly I suppose it's because Sloan is written as much less intolerable than Mackenzie and especially Maggie (rapidly climbing to the top of my list of the most annoying characters on TV), but Munn seems to have a better handle on Sorkin's dialogue too.
I have to admit, she seems to have the feel for Sorkin's style of dialogue better than the other actors, and the result is that she comes across as a better actor than most of the cast. Having seen her on The Daily Show in the past, I feared she was going to be the weak link, but Slone is now my second favourite character on the show after Charlie.

Elemental wrote: View Post
My only beef with this episode would be that some of the plot lines felt exceedingly similar to what was done on West Wing - namely, the visit to the psychiatrist being almost spot on identical to Josh's PTSD visit experience.
Yeah, this episode seemed to draw quite a bit from TWW, including Will having an abusive father, just like Bartlet. I can't remember what sort of relationship Matt Albie had with his father, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was abusive too.
Old August 2 2012, 08:08 AM   #185
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Abusive alcoholics aren't exactly a rare breed.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:53 AM   #186
Data Holmes
Admiral

Newest episode, 5/1...

Damn, that was a heck of an ending. The "late for dinner" storyline is intriguing. Is a start of a drift from "reality" or is it going to shoehorn in with the Brits phone hacking scandle.

Though her part was small, I once again enjoyed Olivia Munn's performance, and the entire b story on the airliner. I thought that fully baked will was funny if not predictable. Indifferent to the James and Maggie characters, I can't help but want more of the triangle story for the constant use of James Tiberious Harper line, but I do like the characters even if their story line is weak. Oh, and I'm liking Terry Crews as the bodyguard. Loved all the little Sorkin one liners and quips.

Overall, another hell ya, and can't wait till next week.

Last edited by Data Holmes; August 6 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 10:49 AM   #187
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I want to be locked in an airplane bathroom with that flight attendant.

Stuff happened in the rest of the episode too.

Old August 6 2012, 03:01 PM   #188
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

James definitely needs to cut Maggie loose. The brunette (can't remember her name) is a far more interesting and endearing character, doesn't seem to be nearly as damaged (or taken), and I think he would do far better with her. I think he gets that as well with his attempt at a "second first date".

The "late for dinner" voice sounds very familiar. I'm assuming that's the new character being shown in the preview for next week? I like where the potential for that character can take the show. I just hope it doesn't get too hokey.
Old August 6 2012, 06:14 PM   #189
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Maggie is one of the most annoying characters on TV (Mac wasn't quite as bad this week).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 06:52 PM   #190
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

Being someone who has taken interest in many of the real-life stories surrounding the tragedy of 9/11, I enjoyed a number of the aspects of this episode detailing "5/1". These included disseminating the news on the death of OBL to people like the United Airlines pilots and the NYPD officers. Aside from these sentimental moments, I found the storyline to be a little on the thin side, but I am willing to forgive that aspect for a story focused on this content.

Unfortunately, the annoying love triangle (square?) from hell was also back in full force this episode and was teeth-grindingly awful. I really feel that these younger characters have de-evolved to the point where they seem to have very little contribution or purpose to any larger storyline and they seem to exist only for the telling of this absolutely cliche bad sitcom-quality love triangle. I find this to be a real shame as in the pilot, Jim and Maggie seemed to be two characters with a lot of storyline potential. That has descended to the point where I cringe anytime I see them on the screen. IMO, Sorkin's style of dialogue just doesn't work in an already extremely cheesy love triangle.

3/5

After seeing next week's preview, I'm going to throw out a small theory that came to me that Mac didn't actually "physically" cheat on Will but said so either because she felt guilty for considering it or felt it would hold back Will career-wise in some way or some other soap-ish reason that gives them another reason to get back together. This is based on just one line of dialogue from a preview so I'm not throwing all my money on it yet but thought I would put it out there.

Last edited by Elemental; August 6 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 06:59 PM   #191
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Maggie is one of the most annoying characters on TV (Mac wasn't quite as bad this week).
Agreed. I have no idea what possible quality Jim could find attractive about her. But then again, his own position on the scale of annoyingness isn't anything to brag about either.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 10:11 PM   #192
Data Holmes
Admiral

So, which Newsroom character is going to go off to Mandyland between this and next season?
Old August 6 2012, 10:46 PM   #193
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Agreed. I have no idea what possible quality Jim could find attractive about her. But then again, his own position on the scale of annoyingness isn't anything to brag about either.
White knight complex?

She's kinda fucked up and he wants to save her.

Or maybe he just gets turned on by women with invisible eyebrows?

That's not her real hair colour right?

Women who dye their hair to much start to bald.

Allison is starting to bald.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 7 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old August 6 2012, 11:31 PM   #194
Jax
Admiral

Just watched last nights episode and dam The Newsroom just reached West Wing levels with that. I loved every dam minute
Old August 6 2012, 11:34 PM   #195
Data Holmes
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Just watched last nights episode and dam The Newsroom just reached West Wing levels with that. I loved every dam minute
I loved the silent speech ending. Not often you see a show dump the end credits music sequence, but it is nice when it is done and done well.