RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 737
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 6 2012, 07:15 AM   #121
Sci
Admiral

Re: Janeway returning to Trek Lit?

teacake wrote: View Post
I know it's a terrible thing to have to take 3 New Jedi Order books out of the space the 3 Voyager books were supposed to be in and move them down a shelf. I feel bad for them, I really do.
If you were to do that, it would incredibly rude and disrespectful to someone else's property; it would be rude to other customers, who may be looking for copies of either series and not know where to find them because you have moved them; it would run the risk of getting store clerks in trouble with their supervisors, depending upon that supervisor's temperament; and it would be doing it over something a different company did.

It's not your property. You have no right to do that. Buy the damn book and burn it if you like, but don't fuck with someone else's stuff.
Old August 6 2012, 07:18 AM   #122
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^^^It's not even that so much as that the people you're upset with won't even be aware of your gesture. Do you really think any bookstore you screw around with is going to contact Simon & Schuster to say "Some punk shuffled some of our books around"? I find it highly unlikely, and it -certainly- won't convey your desire to have Janeway be brought back.

If your feelings are directed towards Simon & Schuster, then take action towards Simon & Schuster.

As I've never actually been to a Chick-Fil-A (we don't have those in VT) I can only assume that a more appropriate analog to your idea for a protest would be if I went in there and shuffled the contents of their salad bar around in a nonsensical manner, rather than doing anything to specifically indicate that I took issue with their massive donations towards groups that are fostering homophobia.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 07:21 AM   #123
Sci
Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
^^^It's not even that so much as that the people you're upset with won't even be aware of your gesture. Do you really think any bookstore you screw around with is going to contact Simon & Schuster to say "Some punk shuffled some of our books around"? I find it highly unlikely, and it -certainly- won't convey your desire to have Janeway be brought back.

If your feelings are directed towards Simon & Schuster, then take action towards Simon & Schuster.

As I've never actually been to a Chick-Fil-A (we don't have those in VT) I can only assume that a more appropriate analog to your idea for a protest would be if I went in there and shuffled the contents of their salad bar around in a nonsensical manner, rather than doing anything to specifically indicate that I took issue with their massive donations towards groups that are fostering homophobia.
Indeed; in both instances, it would be a much better -- and much less mean-spirited towards innocent third parties -- idea to send letters of protest to corporate HQ and to refuse to give them your business.
Old August 6 2012, 07:28 AM   #124
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

This is Australia, you get 1/3 of a shelf for Trek stuff and 2 shelves for SW stuff, all right next to each other. There's not really a better visual location.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 07:33 AM   #125
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

You're missing the point, which is that if you want to send Simon & Schuster a message, this won't achieve that goal.

Or is your real goal to take out your frustration in a pointless display that will only hurt people that have nothing to do with whether Janeway is ever brought back to life?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 07:54 AM   #126
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

This is Australia, you get 1/3 of a shelf for Trek stuff and 2 shelves for SW stuff, all right next to each other.
Sometimes. Typically, the ratio reversed around the time of the 2009 "Star Trek" movie - and I even posted Melbourne and Sydney pics of bookshop shelves on TrekBBS to prove it.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 08:43 AM   #127
teacake
Admiral

You're missing the point, which is that if you want to send Simon & Schuster a message, this won't achieve that goal.

Or is your real goal to take out your frustration in a pointless display that will only hurt people that have nothing to do with whether Janeway is ever brought back to life?
Hurt people?

Dude, this is not shit in a game box.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 6 2012, 08:50 AM   #128
teacake
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
This is Australia, you get 1/3 of a shelf for Trek stuff and 2 shelves for SW stuff, all right next to each other.
Sometimes. Typically, the ratio reversed around the time of the 2009 "Star Trek" movie - and I even posted Melbourne and Sydney pics of bookshop shelves on TrekBBS to prove it.
I noticed that myself. It was quite a shock. However my friend at Dymocks told me that the Trek books were still not selling while SW steadily rolled off the shelves. Rolled off as in, once a week or so. I think most people buy stuff online now.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 6 2012, 10:49 AM   #129
Sci
Admiral

Hurt people?
"Jim, why are these Star Trek books and Star Wars books swapped? Why did you move the Trek books to the YA section? I told you where to put them!"

You don't know what kinds of internal politics are at play in a store if merchandise gets mis-placed. Deliberately moving their merchandise away from where they are supposed to be? That's a violation of their property rights, and you could well land a clerk in trouble for no damn good reason.

They're not your goddamn books and you have no right to move them. If you want to make some meaningless protest over a development in a book series you dislike, write a letter to S&S HQ. Don't fuck with other people's stuff.
Old August 6 2012, 11:05 AM   #130
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

And this speculated over reaction is more likely than the clerk noticing while restocking or just having it brought to their attention by a customer asking for their desired book how? Your reaction here seems as overblown as teacake's idea seems trivial.
Old August 6 2012, 11:06 AM   #131
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

coca cola paid me for a few afternoons work some years back where I went to all the convenience stores they leased free of charge soda can refrigerators to, and made sure of two things primarily... That I extract all non coca cola products from the fridges, and two, make sure that the coca cola products are displayed identically and uniform compared to photographic instructions they supplied me with.

That's a Nazi institution doing Nazi things.

I dare you to coherently challenge me on that.

Meanwhile I have friends who have worked at many major chain bookstores and the juniors shelving the books generally after they abide to the alphabet, they are allowed to get arty farty about their presentation, and they fight. The clerks go to war. I'm not talking about switchblades in the break room, but after layout... They manipulate the information available to make sure that their authors are dominant and others fall out of stock due to personal taste rather than saleability. An if there's a difference of opinion, it works into tides and pushing and pulling to make one ideology manifest depending on the swingshifts.

Mouthbreathing civil service like fucking angels restricting your options until you're a bloody Manchurian candidate.

In either case...

FIGHT THE POWER!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 6 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 11:37 AM   #132
teacake
Admiral

You know I never liked the Titan series. I think I'll put those ones in Gardening.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 6 2012, 01:32 PM   #133
JanewayRulz!
Rear Admiral

You know I never liked the Titan series. I think I'll put those ones in Gardening.

You are SUCH a troublemaker!
Old August 6 2012, 01:34 PM   #134
teacake
Admiral

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post

You are SUCH a troublemaker!
My anarchist manifesto, "Rearrange This Book" will be available in the Cooking section soon.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 6 2012, 02:49 PM   #135
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I preordered The Eternal Tide this morning.