RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,570
Posts: 5,423,345
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 422
Newest member: Dobian

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 6 2012, 04:37 AM   #16
Wingsley
Commodore
 
Wingsley's Avatar
 
Location: Wingsley
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Hmmm... Looks like New Voyages/Phase II and Exeter have some new competition...

My STC and Ajax keep TOS alive! Looking forward to it!
__________________
"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. / The day that you tarry is the day that you lose. / Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder / Where the fair wind blows ..."
-- Lyrics, Jeremiah Johnson's theme.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral
 
MikeH92467's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Nice, solid effort. I especially like the seamless editing, which is only something most people notice when it's not up to snuff. The acting is also solid. Very promising effort.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Jay
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

I don't know how this is supposed to be competition for other fan shows since no one can sell them or anything. I like a lot of the fan stuff because it's us fans making them.

I liked the short clip I saw mostly. The only thing that really seemed weird for me was whoever is playing McCoy. He maybe has never seen the character? Or maybe it was in the writing because his lines were like out of a different show. He seemed real happy when everyone else was sad.

I liked how they redid the end of the last Trek episode. That was awesome and cool and really well done. Especially the woman who played Janice Lester. It's like they went back in time and got the actress!

The guy playing Kirk did okay but seems like he's trying to be The Shat and no one is The Shat. I want to see their first episode to decide but right now I dont like him much because it looks like hes trying to hard. But it is just their first try and I don't know the mix of fans to actors so he may never have really acted in anything like this. (Is the McCoy guy an actor? Because he's overacting too.) The Phase II Kirk grew into his role so maybe this guy can too.

The Spock was good, and I saw Chris Doohan as Scotty and that was awesome! I know the Uhura actress was in Phase II and Grant Imihara's Sulu voice was great. The Chekov guy looks fine but why didn't he have an accent?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 02:49 PM   #19
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Jay wrote: View Post
I don't know how this is supposed to be competition for other fan shows since no one can sell them or anything. I like a lot of the fan stuff because it's us fans making them.

I liked the short clip I saw mostly. The only thing that really seemed weird for me was whoever is playing McCoy. He maybe has never seen the character? Or maybe it was in the writing because his lines were like out of a different show. He seemed real happy when everyone else was sad.

I liked how they redid the end of the last Trek episode. That was awesome and cool and really well done. Especially the woman who played Janice Lester. It's like they went back in time and got the actress!

The guy playing Kirk did okay but seems like he's trying to be The Shat and no one is The Shat. I want to see their first episode to decide but right now I dont like him much because it looks like hes trying to hard. But it is just their first try and I don't know the mix of fans to actors so he may never have really acted in anything like this. (Is the McCoy guy an actor? Because he's overacting too.) The Phase II Kirk grew into his role so maybe this guy can too.

The Spock was good, and I saw Chris Doohan as Scotty and that was awesome! I know the Uhura actress was in Phase II and Grant Imihara's Sulu voice was great. The Chekov guy looks fine but why didn't he have an accent?
Number of points I disagree with:

1) Vic Mignogna was fantastic as Kirk and was not simply doing a Shatner impersonation. Were there moments where he was channeling a little Shat... sure, but in no way was this simply a Shatner impersonation. I was particularly impressed with the emotion he was showing in his eyes and the performance he was giving with his body language. Good stuff!

2) What I really liked in particular about this vignette, beyond the superb production value they brought (lighting and direction in particular were top notch), was the acting. It was very broad and very 60s TV where the acting was slightly more "theatrical" than what you typically see on TV today. The vignette very much evoked a feel of 60s television.

3) As for McCoy, I can name, off the top of my head, at least half a dozen to a dozen episodes where McCoy comes in at the epilogue of a slightly more somber episode to liven things up. Secondly this was the "epilogue" of "The Turnabout Intruder" and from McCoy's perspective what is there to be down about? Dr. Lester is going to get the care she needs, and Kirk is back. McCoy was always the optimistic "silver lining" guy.


Yancy
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Oh, that was totally a Shatner impersonation. Come on.

The actors are all pretty good. Chuck Huber is fine as McCoy, but he struggled with a little tin-eared dialogue: no one is going to say "Is that a smile I see on your face?" but rather "Is that a smile I see?" When you screw up a colloquialism there's always a bit of a "thud."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 03:33 PM   #21
Jay
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

^Disagreement is cool. I just didn't get from it what you did is all. But different people have different tastes. Mr. Mignogna (how do you pronounce that? Is it Italian and the g is silent) was okay and I didn't think he was bad but I noticed he was doing Shatner's hand manurisms and stuff and it just was kinda like an impersonation to me. I didnt like it but it didn't turn me off to where I don't want to watch more. I want to see if he brings himself to the part and not Shatner I guess.

On lighting and production values it all looked like Star Trek to me so that was great!

I thought McCoy's acting was terrible and they should probably get a pro actor for that role or if he is they need a better director because he seemed really out of character to me. You may disagree but that's my two cents. Maybe people think I'm nuts for thinking so and that's cool so maybe it's just me.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Jay
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Oh, that was totally a Shatner impersonation. Come on.

The actors are all pretty good. Chuck Huber is fine as McCoy, but he struggled with a little tin-eared dialogue: no one is going to say "Is that a smile I see on your face?" but rather "Is that a smile I see?" When you screw up a colloquialism there's always a bit of a "thud."
Maybe that was it. I was liking everything until he showed up and asked what he missed in this weird happy voice like he'd stepped out at a party and now was back.

I hope no one things Im down on the production and am not looking forward to more Star Trek. These fans seem to love Trek so a lot of weird acting and writing from non-professionals can be forgiving. I forgive the other webshows the same way.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 03:57 PM   #23
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Jay wrote: View Post
^Disagreement is cool. I just didn't get from it what you did is all. But different people have different tastes. Mr. Mignogna (how do you pronounce that? Is it Italian and the g is silent) was okay and I didn't think he was bad but I noticed he was doing Shatner's hand manurisms and stuff and it just was kinda like an impersonation to me. I didnt like it but it didn't turn me off to where I don't want to watch more. I want to see if he brings himself to the part and not Shatner I guess.
Oh, I think some degree of impersonation is understandable. In this four-minute vignette, half of the four minutes is a shot-for-shot reproduction of the end of "Turnabout Intruder." So reproducing everything very precisely--Shatner's mannerisms included--was probably the very intent of the production.
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; August 6 2012 at 04:17 PM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Jay
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

^I guess I can see that but since only Shatner can be Shatner it felt wrong to me. But thats why I want to see what they do next to see what the guy in the role brings if he loses that impersonation more. If it stays I dont know if I will watch a lot more because it makes you think "oh he's doing Shatner in this way" or whatever and you lose whats going on with the story.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:02 PM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Oh, I think some degree of impersonation is understandable. In this four-minute vignette, half of the four minutes is a short-for-shot reproduction of the end of "Turnabout Intruder." So reproducing everything very precisely--Shatner's mannerisms included--was probably the very intent of the production.
That's certainly true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:39 PM   #26
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore
 
Location: Southwest Georgia
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Really nice job there, Jack! You guys should be very proud of this Post Script to "Turnabout Intruder." I'm looking forward to your next production!
__________________
Randy
--------------------
Project Potemkin
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 05:05 PM   #27
Rattrap
Commander
 
Rattrap's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

I have a question if it isn't classified information and/or a sore spot. Are the producers of this series and the makers of Star Trek: Farragut still connected? The Farragut crew were guests at our con (Rising Star 20) last year and they were an incredibly friendly group of guys who really spiced up the con. Hoping we can make schedules mesh for Rising Star 22.
__________________
We're Starfleet officers, weird is part of the job.
Rattrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 05:25 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Yes, Dracogen and Farragut Films are both listed on the video as producing studios.

The Farragut folks are great, fun, reliable people.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 05:31 PM   #29
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Very clever idea adding a tag to Turnabout Intruder.

The editing was indeed pretty sharp to my eye.

I agree with what others have said, Vic really does seem to be doing a Shatner impersonation here. Personally, I'd rather he found his own take on it, much like James has these days, but that's an entirely subjective opinion.

I think it's hard to judge the others on what's a really brief snippet, but I agree Chris Doohan was very good, and Grant Imahara does a pretty good Takei.

If I had a single criticism, it would have to be that the tone of the piece didn't quite work for me. It just seemed too light for something that came immediately after the preceding scene. That said, I'm probably bring modern sensibilities to the table on this one, so I realise it's not entirely off the wall given the style of the sixties.

Either way, there's a lot of good work on show here, and I'll be interested to see where it's going. Congrats to all.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 05:58 PM   #30
Shane Houston
Commander
 
Shane Houston's Avatar
 
Location: Louisville Kentucky - Halliwell
View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Very clever idea adding a tag to Turnabout Intruder.

The editing was indeed pretty sharp to my eye.

I agree with what others have said, Vic really does seem to be doing a Shatner impersonation here. Personally, I'd rather he found his own take on it, much like James has these days, but that's an entirely subjective opinion.

I think it's hard to judge the others on what's a really brief snippet, but I agree Chris Doohan was very good, and Grant Imahara does a pretty good Takei.

If I had a single criticism, it would have to be that the tone of the piece didn't quite work for me. It just seemed too light for something that came immediately after the preceding scene. That said, I'm probably bring modern sensibilities to the table on this one, so I realise it's not entirely off the wall given the style of the sixties.

Either way, there's a lot of good work on show here, and I'll be interested to see where it's going. Congrats to all.
I agree with you Captain...it did seem way to light a scene for Turnabout Intruder. And I find that it was way too much of a Shatner impersonation. Maybe it's because I've enjoyed james performance of Kirk over the years but it seems he channels Kirk more than this new actor. But time will tell. Especially since we have a new Kirk on Phase II. Which is sad because I really like James's Kirk.

Doohan was spot on in his Scotty role. I didn't like Spock or McCoy too much either but they do a passable job.

And one last thing if you're going to get the Uhura from Phase II acting in this series could someone please make sure she has at least a line? Everyone had a line to say, even it was limited. Uhura just sits on the bridge smiling. I can see why Nichelle complained so much about the limits placed on her character. Give this woman something to say! I've seen her act and she can do it justice. I'd love to see her back on Phase II but I know how all this works.


If I could take Phase II's Kirk (Cawley), Spock, McCoy, Checkov, Sulu, Peter Kirk and Uhura (the same one from this one) and place this shows Scotty in the mix it would be a perfect crew in my opinion. But only because this Scotty knows the role. If not I like the Scotty Phase II has just fine.

I'd give this effort a B-.
__________________
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.