Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 25 2012, 04:00 AM   #76
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Currently working through the missing episode audios...

Well the macra terror turned out as well as the underwater menace; I had a sketchy transfer of the Colin baker narrated cassette version, and was very hard to hear. I understand a new Fraser Hines version is out/is coming out, so will wait for that.

The Faceless Ones it is.
Old July 25 2012, 06:12 PM   #77
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Anneke did the new version; it is already out in the collection 4 boxset. I waited till the set was low enough that I didn't mind buying the whole set for one story.

And it was certainly worthwhile. Never knew how much I didn't know about the story.
Old July 26 2012, 11:34 PM   #78
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Candlelight wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Well, the ones that got killed by the Greeks were Trojans, who lived in present-day Turkey. And Turkey has a pretty checkered reputation when it comes to Doctor Who.
1. Roger Delgado was on location in Turkey when he died in a car accident.
2. Turkish bombing of northern Cyprus destroyed the warehouse containing the last known copies of parts 4 & 5 of "The Reign of Terror."
Actually it was the Cyprus civil war that destroyed the archive, but I know what you mean.

Civil wars are also a bane on Dr Who - look at the now legendary Sierra Leone...
I'm not familiar with the Sierra Leone incident. Please, elucidate & enlighten.
Old July 27 2012, 01:20 AM   #79
Candlelight
Admiral

Well, the ones that got killed by the Greeks were Trojans, who lived in present-day Turkey. And Turkey has a pretty checkered reputation when it comes to Doctor Who.
1. Roger Delgado was on location in Turkey when he died in a car accident.
2. Turkish bombing of northern Cyprus destroyed the warehouse containing the last known copies of parts 4 & 5 of "The Reign of Terror."
Actually it was the Cyprus civil war that destroyed the archive, but I know what you mean.

Civil wars are also a bane on Dr Who - look at the now legendary Sierra Leone...
Documentation came to light a couple of years ago indicating the entire third season - minus both dalek stories and the war machines - existed in a film store in sierra leone. Sadly, the film vault, alone with most of the country, was destroyed in the civil war. The films could've existed as late as 2002.
Old July 27 2012, 08:17 AM   #80
Candlelight
Admiral

If you're not familiar with the missing episode tally, including the 2011 discoveries (of which Galaxy 4 ep 3 would've been redundant) we would be down to 88 missing episodes...
Old August 1 2012, 12:16 AM   #81
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Documentation came to light a couple of years ago indicating the entire third season - minus both dalek stories and the war machines - existed in a film store in sierra leone. Sadly, the film vault, alone with most of the country, was destroyed in the civil war. The films could've existed as late as 2002.
Holy $#!t. Well, I guess I know what my next stop is once I get a working time machine.
Old August 1 2012, 05:07 AM   #82
Candlelight
Admiral

THE FACELESS ONES
7/10

I enjoyed this one. Despite being very little suspense and mystery about the story the very down-to-earth alien abduction storyline would've felt right at home a few years later under Jon Pertwee. The removal of Ben and Polly so early in the story was a little weird, bringing them back for one scene in the final story made for a very frustrating finale, as they'd already been gone for three weeks beforehand!

I think this story would've worked better as a four-parter, as it just doesn't hold it's length. The fact that the originals are simply hidden in a carpark at the airport and not somewhere more secure (like maybe not even at the airport) would've been more realistic.

Got some time to kill so gonna go back and try and listen to the entire The Evil of the Daleks again in it's entirety, and not try to skip two episodes this time.
Old August 3 2012, 08:45 PM   #83
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

The removal of Ben and Polly so early in the story was a little weird, bringing them back for one scene in the final story made for a very frustrating finale, as they'd already been gone for three weeks beforehand!
Would you prefer if they just vanished and didn't show up again like Dodo?

Actually, that makes me wonder if Ben & Polly left due to a contract despute too. Anyone know?
Old August 4 2012, 01:23 PM   #84
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Not quite, Anneke was asked to stay for longer, but didn't think it was fair on Micheal, who's wasn't renewed. It's possible they were only contracted for so many episodes, and their departure scene was shot on film so may have been shot weeks earlier anyway.
Old August 4 2012, 09:57 PM   #85
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

I guess they just never expected Jamie to take off like gangbusters the way he did.
Old August 5 2012, 06:09 AM   #86
VDCNI
Captain

Just got the last box set of missing episodes audio releases so looking forward to working through them once the Olympics is over particularly Web and Fury.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 02:46 PM   #87
diankra
Commodore

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Not quite, Anneke was asked to stay for longer, but didn't think it was fair on Micheal, who's wasn't renewed. It's possible they were only contracted for so many episodes, and their departure scene was shot on film so may have been shot weeks earlier anyway.

Indeed, their departure scene in episode six was shot with the rest of the location work between Macra Terror 4 & Faceless Ones 1, so their last work on the series was the studio for FO2.

And, as you suspect, their contracts for so many episodes had been issued before the number of episodes in each story later on in the season had been tied down, so they ran out in mid story. The oddity is that it wasn't halfway through Faceless One - they were both under contract and paid through to Evil of the Daleks (episode 2, I think, but I've not found the reference to check). There's been speculation that they were originally going to be left behind in 1966 London when the action in Evil jumped back to 1867 Canterbury, but the surviving story outlines, etc, don't back this up).

Their departure is a bit odfd and perfunctory, but the best explanation is just that having decided to switch to Jamie and the new girl (and that was originally going to be Samantha/Cleo/Mary, before ending up as Victoria next story) producer Innes Lloyd wanted to make the change as soon as possible.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 03:37 AM   #88
Phillip Culley
Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
The oddity is that it wasn't halfway through Faceless One - they were both under contract and paid through to Evil of the Daleks (episode 2, I think, but I've not found the reference to check).
It was episode 2 of Evil - IIRC this was because they were renewed for a certain number of 4-episode stories. With The Faceless Ones being 6 episodes, this meant Wills and Craze's contract only lasted through to the first two episodes of Evil.
Phillip Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:26 AM   #89
Candlelight
Admiral

Phillip Culley wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
The oddity is that it wasn't halfway through Faceless One - they were both under contract and paid through to Evil of the Daleks (episode 2, I think, but I've not found the reference to check).
It was episode 2 of Evil - IIRC this was because they were renewed for a certain number of 4-episode stories. With The Faceless Ones being 6 episodes, this meant Wills and Craze's contract only lasted through to the first two episodes of Evil.
Indeed; it's been an often quoted fact that David Whittaker originally had Ben and Polly in the first two episodes of Evil, but had to remove them when they were written out in The Faceless Ones. Pity, it's the last time until the late Tom Baker era that the Doctor had three companions. It did allow adventures to be spread over 3 or even 4 storylines when everyone splits up.
Old August 14 2012, 02:33 AM   #90
Candlelight
Admiral

THE EVIL OF THE DALEKS (REDUX)
7/10

I managed to listen to the story the entire way through. I still find the early episodes extremely dull and in the whole scheme of things largely superfluous. That said, I do have a new found appreciation of certain elements, and enjoyed episode 5 now more than I did. The final two episodes however are still stunningly good.

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN
6/10

Based on the surviving episode, I'd always had a soft spot for this serial. It felt quite good, the isolated base under siege saga isn't new but being in a 1930s monastery in Tibet adds a new flavour to it... even if it was a Welsh countryside.

But the rest of the missing serial is decidedly average. Victoria is bizarrely written, with her eager to get out there and explore, especially in the cave towards the end of episode one, when suddenly she doesn't want to go in and becomes all hysterical. The Yeti don't actually do much in this story, except walk up and down the mountain a few times. Another story which would probably have worked better as a four-parter.

Pity episode six is missing, I'd love to have seen part of the Himalayas explode.

Might as well stay with the Yeti theme and hear a story I know next to nothing about...