Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5 2012, 06:41 AM   #751
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Maybe he will take over what is left of the League of Shadows and turn it in a better direction.
I very much doubt he would be able to do that even if he tried (which I don't think he would). I'm rewatching the entire trilogy today (I'm currently waiting for the next showing of The Dark Knight Rises this evening) and I was reminded that in Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul says the League of Shadows sacked Rome, burned London, and loaded rats on trade ships in order to restore balance in the world. The League is bigger than one man and seriously doubt they would listen to Bruce to do anything different, especially when he killed several important figures in their organization and foiled their plans.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 06:56 AM   #752
Dream
Admiral

Did anyone think putting Talia in this movie was a huge mistake?

The moment she appeared, Bane turned from evil mastermind into stupid minion. He really deserved a better death than getting shot by a rocket. Talia's slow death in the truck was pretty laughable as well. Nolan tried too hard to make this movie the perfect bookend to BB.

It also annoyed me how Nolan stole Bane's background from the comics and gave it to Talia in the movie.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 06:57 AM   #753
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

One major problem that I had with the ending, that I'm surprised wasn't brought up in this thread, is why Bruce Wayne faked his own death? No one, except his closest companions, knew that he was Batman. I understand faking Batman's death, but why fake Bruce's death? There's no reason for it.

Also, even if it was necessary for him to fake his own death, how does Bruce Wayne just disappear? He's a world famous billionaire in charge of Wayne Enterprises. That's like Bill Gates faking his own death and moving to Europe. Someone is going to recognize him.

And how long did Bruce and Selina wait at that cafe for Alfred to show up? Yes, they knew that Alfred goes there once a year, but they had no idea which day it would be. Did they simply sit at that table for 16 hours a day for months waiting for Alfred to take his vacation?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 07:08 AM   #754
Dream
Admiral

I'm surprised more people aren't upset at the whole Bruce gives up being Batman ending. Isn't that something he would NEVER do in the comics?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 08:01 AM   #755
Mike Farley
Commodore

But, as stated in this very thread, Movie Bruce isn't like Comic Bruce. The seeds for this ending have been sown all the way back in Batman Begins. He creates Batman, not as a disguise to beat up criminals, but as a symbol, larger than any one man. By the Dark Knight, he's already looking to pass Gotham's hero role to Harvey and quit to be with Rachel.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 10:25 AM   #756
Warped9
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't upset at the whole Bruce gives up being Batman ending. Isn't that something he would NEVER do in the comics?
Upset? No. Disappointed? Yes. But the groundwork for it had already been laid so in context of this story and Nolan's take on the character it wasn't a huge surprise.

Bruce and Selena only had to be aware of Alfred's arrival and to learn when he was headed for that cafe. Then they need only get there ahead of him.
Old August 5 2012, 01:15 PM   #757
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

That & brooding over Rachel's death like a hermit for 8 years.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 02:08 PM   #758
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
What I do find sad, and this is about all superheroes, is that ever since the deconstruction of the superheroes got going in the '80s is the idea someone has to be psychologically flawed to even contemplate going beyond the norm to do something right.
No, people don't have to be psychologically flawed to do something right. But people definitely have to be psychologically flawed to dress in a funny costume and/or put on a mask and go and beat up the bad guys.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 02:43 PM   #759
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote:
No one, except his closest companions, knew that he was Batman.
And Bane & the LOS. And Blake.

Kelthaz wrote:
the Fueller cop
I have to agree that the Fueller cop was a useless character. However, since there was no such character in the film, its uselessness seems irrelevant.
Old August 5 2012, 02:57 PM   #760
Warped9
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
What I do find sad, and this is about all superheroes, is that ever since the deconstruction of the superheroes got going in the '80s is the idea someone has to be psychologically flawed to even contemplate going beyond the norm to do something right.
No, people don't have to be psychologically flawed to do something right. But people definitely have to be psychologically flawed to dress in a funny costume and/or put on a mask and go and beat up the bad guys.
Well, of course, this is where the suspension of disbelief comes into play. But the Batman of the early '40s and 1970s was not portrayed as psychologically flawed and only tenuously stable. That Batman wore his suit with the same confidence as Superman wears his. And that's the Batman I really want to see.

It's a matter of perception. In the real world why can some actors pull it off and not others. George Reeves and Christopher Reeve wore the costume with confidence. Dean Cain not so much. If there really existed someone who could do what Superman does then I don't think too many people would be harping about his outfit. Olympic athletes sometimes wear attire that would look odd outside of a stadium, but when you see them in action it looks completely different. In particular speed skaters come to mind. Now if a guy could derail a train with one punch I don't think folks will be too bothered by him wearing red and blue and sporting a cape. And if a guy is so seriously badass the punks and crooks are afraid to walk the streets at night then they've likely gotten over thinking about the guy's outfit---they just don't wanna see that symbolic shadow on the walls as they skulk their way home.

We might laugh at theatricality yet we can also be moved or impressed by it.

Then again this doesn't work no matter how you think about it.

Regarding the film I'm reminded of the many Elseworlds versions of Batman I've read over the years. The Nolan trilogy does work if you can see it as yet another Elseworlds story.

Last edited by Warped9; August 5 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 03:37 PM   #761
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
That & brooding over Rachel's death like a hermit for 8 years.
I don't think Bruce had actually been a recluse for the entirety of that 8 years. 5 years into that timeframe, he was pouring money and resources into the fusion reactor project. Surely that would've required him to maintain at least some sort of public presence, at the very least at Wayne Enterprises if nowhere else. After a second viewing, my impression became that he was only a recluse during the last 3 years prior to TDKR, and that the need to shutter the reactor project compounded his grief over Rachel, driving him into seclusion.

I don't remember her exact dialogue now, but during the very first conversation between Bruce and Talia-as-Miranda, she made an observation about the reactor project and his seclusion that implied he didn't vanish until after the project had been shut down.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 03:37 PM   #762
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I believe Alfred did leave Bruce sometime after Knightfall. Becuase he saw that Bruce seemed to be disregarding his own health and safety. Which is how Bane defeated him in the comics.

While Bane attacked him in the Batcave by surprise. He was too stuburn to seek help with the escaped Arkham inmates. So he was in a weakened state when Batman struck.

The film is very similar to the comics.
Which doesn't mean that those stories are true to the characterizations throughout the decades of stories in the comics. Like Hank Pym as a wife-beater, most of us have problems with that.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 03:46 PM   #763
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I have to admit, Hank beating his wife was the part of the movie I enjoyed the least.
Old August 5 2012, 03:46 PM   #764
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I don't think Bruce had actually been a recluse for the entirety of that 8 years. 5 years into that timeframe, he was pouring money and resources into the fusion reactor project. Surely that would've required him to maintain at least some sort of public presence, at the very least at Wayne Enterprises if nowhere else. After a second viewing, my impression became that he was only a recluse during the last 3 years prior to TDKR, and that the need to shutter the reactor project compounded his grief over Rachel, driving him into seclusion.

I don't remember her exact dialogue now, but during the very first conversation between Bruce and Talia-as-Miranda, she made an observation about the reactor project and his seclusion that implied he didn't vanish until after the project had been shut down.
The issue for me is that Bruce Wayne is a driven personality, he requires strength, conviction, AND obsession. He doesn't just stop being what he is (Batman, among other things.) The depiction in the Nolan films shows someone who used the Batman persona temporarily to make a point and then fucked off. Kind of like an internet message board identity. It's not who he is. For Bruce Wayne to be Bruce Wayne/Batman, he should be thoroughly committed.

I appreciate in the Nolan universe that Bruce Wayne essentially fell apart when he stopped being Batman. His psyche is intimately tied to Batman, and to Gotham. If Gotham ceases to be, or changes radically, so too does Bruce Wayne cease to be. This is a pretty clear portrait in the story and kudos all around. That said, Bruce Wayne exists because he has extreme personality disorders, just like the Joker, et al. He doesn't just happen to stop needing to have the Batman persona to be able to deal with his personality needs.

In saying this, I like the story, and I don't. It touches the reality of the obsession and need, then it backs away from it. I don't feel it totally works as a character study.

I don't like to compare this film to Avengers; Avengers was like a symphony - it isn't about logic, it is about a trip from start to finish that leaves us thrilled. Nothing wrong with that and it does what it sought to do. TDKR is a different intent and different process. Does it do what it intended? For me there is some mixup in there.
Old August 5 2012, 03:54 PM   #765
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I have to admit, Hank beating his wife was the part of the movie I enjoyed the least.
I could make a lot of money opening a skeet shooting range and letting my customers target everything that goes over your head.