Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 4 2012, 09:38 AM   #1531
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Mass Effect 3

Yeah, the GPS is nice, especially for squadmates. Once it was introduced into ME2, squadmates who should have been using shotguns but really couldn't because their AI was atrocious with them finally had something mid-range enough not to get their heads blown off in ten seconds on anything above Normal. There was much rejoicing.

I'm an AR fellow, myself. I've gotten a couple of "dumb dudebro Soldier with Assault Rifle" comments in the past, which is funny considering I haven't touched virtually any other shooters. I just like the punch and rapidity of the fire, coupled with Adrenaline Rush and formidable defenses.

My Drell Adept is rockin' that Harrier.
Old August 4 2012, 09:49 AM   #1532
John Clark
Commodore

I don't typically use the shotgun for my soldier shep either, but with my new game+, having a full load isn't giving any weapon penalty so I've figured I might as well use it.

For the record, for a no penalty load, I've gone with the X versions of in single player:-

Particle Rifle (Great for harvesters so far)
Pistol - Eagle
Shotgun - Disciple
SMG - Hurricane (with lightweight materials)
Sniper - Valiant

To be honest, it's not the perfect load for maximum damage, but it's doing the job so far.

During my first playthrough, it was primarily the Mattock, Eagle and incisor.
Old August 4 2012, 09:51 AM   #1533
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

NG+ offers no penalty on full loads?
Old August 4 2012, 10:02 AM   #1534
John Clark
Commodore

No, I'm afraid that there are still penalties, but if you plan the load carefully, you can get a nil percentage for a full load (at least for a soldier).

If the penalties were totally negated, I'd swap some of the weapons on my list (Probably Mattock and the geth shotgun for a start).

If I remember correctly, when I had a Disciple 9 (with the rest as 10) and the SMG has to have the lightweight materials, there was something like a 6 percent penalty, but when I'd upgraded it, it came to zero.

There are probably other combinations, but that's the one I've found so far.
Old August 4 2012, 10:09 AM   #1535
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Ah, OK. That makes more sense.

I like super-fast recharge speeds, they're sexy. I've been planning my MP characters around that with one exception, and I'm a monster pimping just one gun. My Infiltrator really needs the pair, though, especially because I desperately need aiming lessons with ME3's sniper rifles for whatever reason.

For my Soldier in the campaign, though, I think I busted out the Mattock and the Valiant. I'd have gone with the Widow but the weight was just too ugly for my taste... when I do my NG+ with him, though, I'll work it up to Level 10 and take it along for the ride.
Old August 4 2012, 10:19 AM   #1536
John Clark
Commodore

I, on the other hand, kept forgetting about my powers (for Shep at least) except for ammo in the first go. This time round, I'm using grenades a fair bit more, rush when needed and a bonus power of energy drain.
Old August 4 2012, 10:24 AM   #1537
Skywalker
Admiral

I wish you could just equip one weapon in SP. My favorite class is the Vanguard, and now with the Charge + Nova combination, a shotgun is the only weapon I need. Charge into a group, Nova them, and if there's anyone left, give 'em a shotgun to the face.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 10:31 AM   #1538
John Clark
Commodore

I admit I haven't actually tried that. It has happened by accident but that may have been a technical hiccup.

I'd finished the Geth Fighter mission and rushed off to do the Admiral without checking my load to see that they'd just given me one of the standard pistols.

Fortunately for me, before I'd met a significant threat, there was a sniper rifle pickup and I could grab the gear I wanted there.
Old August 4 2012, 10:43 AM   #1539
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I wish you could just equip one weapon in SP. My favorite class is the Vanguard, and now with the Charge + Nova combination, a shotgun is the only weapon I need. Charge into a group, Nova them, and if there's anyone left, give 'em a shotgun to the face.

^You can't just equip one weapon? Strange I thought you could. Next best thing if you want to minimise the weight it so just equip a shuriken with the light-weight materials mod. It weighs practically nothing and is very cheep to upgrade. Plus it's not a bad backup weapon if you run short of clips for your shotgun. Works surprisingly well on Guardians' mailslots.

For MP I honestly don't have a favourite class (though I'm really enjoying my new N7 Demolisher) though if I had to pick a least favourite, it'd have to be the vanguards...mostly because of the shotgun thing again.

In SP my main Shep is a soldier class, but that's just because on my very first playthough I didn't understand what biotics and tech powers were all about and of course my being stubborn at roleplaying so I never changed her class . In ME3 her loadout varied wildly as I liked to try out the new weapons. By the end of the game though she was rocking a revanent, a valiant, a carnifex and a disciple.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 10:54 AM   #1540
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Could have sworn you can equip just the one weapon in SP...
Old August 4 2012, 10:58 AM   #1541
Skywalker
Admiral

Nope, every time I've tried to do so it's said "you must equip at least two weapons," or something like that.
Reverend wrote: View Post
Next best thing if you want to minimise the weight it so just equip a shuriken with the light-weight materials mod. It weighs practically nothing and is very cheep to upgrade.
Oh yeah, don't worry, I'm already aware of that trick. It's certainly better than nothing.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 11:04 AM   #1542
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Damn, that's lame. My girlfriend's Adept barely fires off her pistol; it would have been nice if she could have at least reduced her weapon load to just said pistol!
Old August 4 2012, 03:05 PM   #1543
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I think most people will be getting the Raider since who the hell in their right mind pre-ordered the game on Origin?
Anybody playing on PC, since the game requires Origin to play anyways, so why bother with getting a disc?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 06:40 PM   #1544
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I bothered because I don't trust that Origin will be around for very long (the bloody thing is still in beta for goodness sake!), because I bought the first two games on steam and thought it would be nice to have a physical copy of the third one and because it came with a cool little N7 velcro patch!

...oh and I had plenty of credit on Amazon to burn.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 07:55 PM   #1545
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Well, if you don't intend on playing MP, you can always crack the DRM. If you want MP, you're stuck with Origin.