Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 3 2012, 12:42 AM   #316
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

And since TCM doesn't cut it'll include the nude swimming scene lol...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 03:40 AM   #317
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm curious how The Adventures of Robin Hood qualifies as SF/fantasy. I know there are some interpretations of the Robin Hood legend with supernatural elements, but I'm pretty sure the Errol Flynn version isn't one of them. Is it just that Robin Hood was sort of a prototype superhero (and the person Robin, the Boy Wonder, was named for), and superheroes are counted as genre fiction? Or is it just "It's not really SF/fantasy but it might interest the same audience so I'll mention it here"?
I could argue that both its version of the sociopolitical situation and the arrow-splitting scene [as Mythbusters proved] are fantasy but you're right lol. Got overly enthusiastic.
Old August 3 2012, 09:44 AM   #318
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

sojourner wrote: View Post
Odd that they are showing the Tarzan movies in almost reverse order. A couple of the early ones are a bit racey (mainly in the area of Jane's lack of costume), being made before the Hays code was enforced..
There's a nice little interview with Maureen O'Sullivan that they show occasionally between movies where she talks about that and how she thought it was no big deal. I'm sure they'll show it today.

In fact, they had a documentary one time about the pre-code era where they interviewed a bunch of actresses in their later years. It was great to see these older women reminisce about what they were able to get away with back in the day. You kind of expect people that age to be a bit prudish, but it was definitely not the case.
Old August 3 2012, 11:51 AM   #319
Christopher
Writer

Klaus wrote: View Post
I could argue that both its version of the sociopolitical situation and the arrow-splitting scene [as Mythbusters proved] are fantasy...
Heck, by that standard, you'd have to throw in any action movie that shows cars exploding on impact, cars surviving big jumps and being able to keep driving, gunshot victims being thrown backward, people being blown forward by explosions and being unharmed, EMTs giving up on CPR after 30 seconds or using defibrillators to restart a stopped heart, etc.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 12:47 PM   #320
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^You say it as though it would be a bad thing to label such movies as fantasies. People tell themselves that they know it's just a movie, but the cumulative effect can be devastating to a person's grip on reality, despite their conscious intent. This seems to be particularly true for kids who've absorbed thousands of hours.

Perhaps a truth in moviemaking should require the Twilight Zone theme to play during these scenes?
Old August 3 2012, 03:00 PM   #321
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think movies like Robin Hood and Zorro and Tarzan ride that edge because they really transport the viewer to a different time and place, usually more idealized than reality, with larger than life heroes. The Green Hornet barely qualifies from a SFF perspective in one sense but the way it's packaged it feels right at home. Yeah, you gotta be careful not to get ridiculous but they pass my squint test for "genre" movies.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:47 PM   #322
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think movies like Robin Hood and Zorro and Tarzan ride that edge because they really transport the viewer to a different time and place, usually more idealized than reality, with larger than life heroes. The Green Hornet barely qualifies from a SFF perspective in one sense but the way it's packaged it feels right at home. Yeah, you gotta be careful not to get ridiculous but they pass my squint test for "genre" movies.
True story: Years ago, when I was editing a line of original ZORRO novels for Tor, I wanted to market them as SF on the grounds that Zorro was a superhero and that's where the audience was, but I was overruled by my bosses because Zorro wasn't technically sf or fantasy. So the books were shelved in the mainstream fiction section and vanished without a trace.

To this day, I wish I had fought harder to get them into the SF/Fantasy section . . . ..

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 3 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 07:33 PM   #323
Christopher
Writer

The Green Hornet counts as a marginally SF character because of his gadgets -- the Black Beauty with its special engine and other gimmicks, the gas gun, and (in the TV series) the Hornet Sting.

As for Zorro, I don't think that really counts as SF/fantasy. It's pulp adventure, a genre that has a lot of overlap with comics and SF. Unfortunately "pulp" is no longer really a category in its own right, so it's hard to get all the various pulp-influenced genres grouped together in stores.

Old August 3 2012, 07:41 PM   #324
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Just turned on Tarzan's New York Adventure, wow, the later movies really get cartoon-ish. Jane has a dish-washing contraption right out of the Flintstones.

ETA: wow, some nice shots of that flying boat.

Last edited by sojourner; August 3 2012 at 08:04 PM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 05:30 AM   #325
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Tarzan and his Mate seems to be of a bit higher caliber than many that followed. Probably the best use of that projection-type FX that I've seen. Jane feels a lot more real in this installment, more dynamic and spirited than many of the later Janes, and not such a glamour doll. Is she the only Jane to do a Tarzan-like yell? Does Johnny have a great yell or what? Drags a bit 2/3 in or so where you're waiting for Tarzan to come back but finishes with some good action.
Old August 4 2012, 06:35 AM   #326
Klaus
Rear Admiral

The scene where she held the two lions off with fire and swinging a rifle butt was pretty cool...
Old August 4 2012, 10:31 AM   #327
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Does Johnny have a great yell or what?
It's distinctive, certainly, but I don't think it captures the quality of the Tarzan yell Burroughs describes in the books, which is more of a fearsome animalistic roar.

Old August 4 2012, 05:00 PM   #328
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ aaah, you never agree with me
Old August 4 2012, 07:38 PM   #329
Christopher
Writer

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly striking and unforgettable in its own way, and it's become a cultural icon. It's just that once I read the books, I realized that -- like most of the content of the Tarzan movies -- it was really its own separate entity that had little to do with what Burroughs described.

Heck, even the '70s Filmation animated Tarzan series, which was one of the most faithful screen adaptations of the books ever made (aside from toning down the violence and maybe -- I forget -- being set in a more recent era), used the Weismuller-style yodel-yell -- though Bob Ridgely didn't do it nearly as well as Weismuller did.

And while Weismuller's yell isn't the terrifying roar Burroughs described, it does have a "jungle animal" sound to it in a different way, now that I think about it -- maybe something more like certain species of monkey or tropical bird.

Old August 5 2012, 10:08 AM   #330
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I love the Weissmuller Tarzan movies, but after Tarzan and His Mate they definitely become way too family friendly. The first two films are both exotic and erotic and Jane is a strong woman with blood in her veins-- in the later films she is demoted to jungle housewife.

As for the "genre" issue, I'm happy to have stuff like Tarzan included under that umbrella. Genre is a vague term, unlike Mystery or Science Fiction; really, any work of fiction has a genre. But in the context we use it here, it really means almost-anything-but-mainstream, which pretty much suits my tastes.