Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Deborah Ann Woll
Thumbs Up 69 77.53%
Thumbs Down 7 7.87%
Thumbs Sideways 13 14.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3 2012, 10:36 PM   #31
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Deborah Ann Woll: Babe of the week #32 (Aug. 2012)

Scout101 wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
have certainly never said it was "cool". I don't know where you did get that.
Guess I got that from you going after the guys talking shit in the last thread, but you choosing to ignore the comments in this one in favor of picking on mine...
I ignored the comments because they were more generally appreciative than sexually objectifying, so I considered them rather harmless (to use RJD's language, even if we have vastly different thresholds). On the other hand, I went after yours because you decided out-of-the-blue to push the polemics button without having a solid foundation.

Who is this "you" you are talking about?
poor pronoun choice, I suppose. 'You' as part of a bigger group, as opposed to you singular, I guess. You had nothing to say about the comments in this thread, but did in the previous one.

Most of the rest of the 'you' comments could just be replaced with the term 'one', as in "if one wanted to complain", etc. Shouldn't have been all directed at you, most was generic to the group.
There is no "group". I speak for strictly myself, and extend to others the same courtesy.

And back to strawmen again? Wanna point out my comments about women all looking/being/acting the same?
The ones about this mysterious "group".

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Err, I don't recall either woman here saying the candidate was 'fuckable'. They said they'd be interested in her if they were gay. Whether that interest was as a friend, girlfriend, confidante, romantic attachment or for sex was never specified.

Making it rather different from
"I'd do her"
What do you think "If ever I were to go gay, Ms. Woll would be my first choice" insinuates? First choice for what? Bridge partner? Tennis doubles partner? Personal chef?

Let's not delude ourselves.
"She would be my first choice" is rather different from "I'd do her". The first is appreciation, the second is objectification. As I have been saying for the last three thread, there is nothing wrong with appreciation. If all comments were limited to "As a heterosexual male, she is definitively my first choice", you will find a lot less people complaining about it.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; August 3 2012 at 10:47 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 11:22 PM   #32
Scout101
Admiral

Guess the question boils down to what you think people meant when they said that she'd be their first choice if they were gay...

First choice for what?

If it's just friendship, what's being gay have to do with it?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 11:30 PM   #33
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Sideways.

Pretty, obviously, but in that other-wordly Romantic/Pre-Raphaelite sort of way that doesn't do it for me at all. Not even a whiff of sultriness in her photos. Haven't seen her in anything though, so maybe she comes across differently in motion.
Agreed. Thumbs sideways.
Old August 3 2012, 11:49 PM   #34
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Guess the question boils down to what you think people meant when they said that she'd be their first choice if they were gay...

First choice for what?

Ignoring post #30 wont make it go away, and arguing that a person said one thing when when they've made it clear you got the wrong end of the stick is kinda rude.
Old August 4 2012, 12:04 AM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

First choice for what?

Frankly if I said "if I was to go gay Woll would be my first choice" I would talking about having sex with her. It would be my way of saying she's super hot, and I think being a bit round about and respectful, admiring etc.. in terminology is a helluva lot hotter than bluntly saying "I'd do her".

I don't know this person at all, I know her less than I know my usual "OMG HOT" focus who is in my avatar. She's just a photo. Why in the world would I be saying I would want to be her friend or be in a relationship with her based on a photo? All I have in those photos is a body so that's what I'd be responding to.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 12:15 AM   #36
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't know this person at all, I know her less than I know my usual "OMG HOT" focus who is in my avatar. She's just a photo. Why in the world would I be saying I would want to be her friend or be in a relationship with her based on a photo? All I have in those photos is a body so that's what I'd be responding to.
Perhaps the ladies in question are fans of True Blood and know of the actress, perhaps they've seen her in interviews and were delighted by her personality, perhaps they know this person better than you and are not just judging her based off a picture.
Old August 4 2012, 12:26 AM   #37
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yes that may all be true. Certainly many people end up feeling they could be friends or close to a famous person based on interviews. You don't need to change your sexual orientation to feel like that however.

Anyway I'm not speaking for those who posted about picking her if they were to "turn gay", I'm speaking for myself. I think maybe they posted that way to make it a bigger compliment as to how much they liked Woll. That's my speculation.. and if so people are taking them much more literally then what they intended.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 01:09 AM   #38
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Thumbs way up! Love her.
Old August 4 2012, 03:01 AM   #39
Shanndee
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

First choice for what?

Ignoring post #30 wont make it go away, and arguing that a person said one thing when when they've made it clear you got the wrong end of the stick is kinda rude.
^Agreed.

If I said something like "she'd be my first choice" I'd mean my first choice to ask out on a date. In my world going on a date means going somewhere fun while you get to know each other. After you find out if you like each other then things may progress.

Therefore "first choice" and "date" do not necessarily equal sex.

(Although the belief that it did is certainly responsible for some very bad dates that I have had in the past!)

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources

Last edited by Shanndee; August 4 2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: missed a sentence!
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 10:40 AM   #40
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

What Dorian and DevilEyes indicated (whether seriously, jokingly or just as hyperbole) is that Deborah is so attractive that if they changed their sexual orientation, they would go for her. They're talking about level of sexual attractiveness That means having sex with her. What their, or anyone's, pre-sex protocols are are irrelevant to that because it's entirely hypothetical. It's just an issue of how that concept is expressed in polite company. And what is acceptable in polite company is fluid and changes according to time and place. Many discussions and turns of phrase that are acceptable here and now would not have been acceptable fifty or a hundred years ago.

And, for the sake of perspective, it's also worth noting that the very idea of changing sexual orientation is still offensive to many people, including people on this BBS. And it would be used as fuel for their ideological belief that sexual orientation is a choice. You can politicize, or be offended by, anything if you're determined enough.

The bottom line is that Dorian and DevilEyes, like most of the rest of us here, were just expressing their opinion of Deborah's beauty and sexuality in an amusing way. They didn't feel the need to say that they would bring her flowers, take her out to dinner, wait for the standard third date, proposition her and then gracefully bow out if declined. Nobody should have to consult their lawyers for the proper disclamatory language before posting. Women talk about men, men talk about women, women talk about women, men talk about men-- that's not sexism (or homosexism) or objectification. It's sexuality. It's fun.

If any individual is impolite or insulting, then that individual is dealt with. Other than that, it's just fun.
Old August 5 2012, 02:51 PM   #41
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Cute, sure.

As an aside, and building off of the previous couple of these threads: we argue about all the sexist and crude comments in these threads, but we've already had two female posters whose response has essentially been "I'd fuck her". We're either ok with that kind of comment or we're not, right? Guy says the same thing, we go through the same shitstorm again.

Just saying...
A lady is standing lone by a turnstile staring into the sunset.

Along comes a man who wouldn't turn down any woman who ever came to his bed, telling her “I would sleep with you”. Truly a testament to her qualities and beauty his words are, for that makes her fearfully retreat down the alley with an accelerated pace.

There she comes across another woman. After a lengthy stroll together she, who has never felt even the slightest romantic interest in another woman, simply doesn't resists it and says “Men who know you are lucky, if I'd ever were to abandon men it would be for someone like you”. And that is truly the same thing, because all it did was bring an uneasy but delightful smile on the lady's face.
Old August 5 2012, 04:27 PM   #42
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

I'd buy her flowers.

{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 04:50 PM   #43
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 05:56 PM   #44
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I'd fuck the flowers.
Old August 5 2012, 06:22 PM   #45
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Personally, (white male, so little value in my opinion here, i guess), I'd say that blacks should STOP using the n-word. I kinda get why it started, trying to de-power the word by making it their own and changing the meaning somewhat. But at this point, their own use is helping to keep it alive. If they weren't using it so heavily themselves, it would be less common, and easier to stamp out the racist assholes that used it. Make it a big deal, and you won't see it out much. By using it so much themselves, it really harms their cause.
I'd...
write an essay on how the persistent and massive use of the N-word amongst a primarily lower-class section of the black community has devolved from being an act of defiant empowerment to a self-debasing unconscious yelp against the injustices of continued if subtler discrimination as well as a lament of the tragic breakdown of the working-class black family unit
... for her.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote