Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 3 2012, 10:27 PM   #106
JD
Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Goji wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
The episode also has a 9.6/10 with 194 reviews on TV.com. I also thought it was pretty good.
Old August 3 2012, 11:07 PM   #107
RoJoHen
Awesome

^^^Correct. I value coherent plots and themes a lot, but the first time around the very original visuals and music and the Crichtonisms, and most of all, the shameless gusto in the series still made it an enthralling experience. I was shocked at how unwatchable I found it the second time. I didn't expect that at all. If you read the last coded plot point recapped, you'll see what I mean by plotting problems. But that sort of thing sure makes a strong first impression. It's just when you start to think about it...
Honestly, I find this surprising. Farscape is a show I re-watch at least once a year. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times all the way through, and it never gets old. Most of the plots actually make more sense than you realize. The first half of Season 4 is full of tiny moments and explanations that I missed the first time around, and it's one of the reasons that it went from being my least favorite season when I first watched it to my favorite season of the entire show.
Old August 3 2012, 11:31 PM   #108
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
As most people on here currently debating what sounds like a fairly major plot point of Farscape with no end in sight, I think it's fairly obvious that the OP should choose B5.
I don't know. That depends on how much plot matters to you. There's also character, setting, mood, humor, visuals, music, dialogue . . . .

If plot was all that mattered, then reading a synopsis would be the same as watching the show!
Ding.
Old August 4 2012, 12:01 AM   #109
DWF
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^^^Correct. I value coherent plots and themes a lot, but the first time around the very original visuals and music and the Crichtonisms, and most of all, the shameless gusto in the series still made it an enthralling experience. I was shocked at how unwatchable I found it the second time. I didn't expect that at all. If you read the last coded plot point recapped, you'll see what I mean by plotting problems. But that sort of thing sure makes a strong first impression. It's just when you start to think about it...
Honestly, I find this surprising. Farscape is a show I re-watch at least once a year. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times all the way through, and it never gets old. Most of the plots actually make more sense than you realize. The first half of Season 4 is full of tiny moments and explanations that I missed the first time around, and it's one of the reasons that it went from being my least favorite season when I first watched it to my favorite season of the entire show.
I've found it nigh impossible to rewatch Farscape, but then it's hard for me to finish rewatching B5 as well. For that matter for me aynway, it's hard to rewatch many of the '90s shows that I used to watch. On the other hand though I have little problem rewatching classic Doctor Who.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 06:28 PM   #110
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

The episodes "Kasas" and "Terra Firma" both ended up becoming the name of two of the more popular Farscape fan forums around. Kansas shut down a while back due to some issues, but Terra Firma is still up and running. Ironically enough, there's a fairly recent discussion that went on about both episodes with favorable opinions of them.

http://terrafirmascapers.com/index.p...c,40889.0.html

JD wrote: View Post
Goji wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post

The episode also has a 9.6/10 with 194 reviews on TV.com. I also thought it was pretty good.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 06:44 PM   #111
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I got Farscape yesterday. I've watched the first two episodes so far. I think I'll use this thread to post about my experiences with both shows. first, I'll compare the first episodes of B5 and farscape.

Farscape ("Premiere") - This had an interesting beginning. I'm not sure if slingshoting around the earth would actually make something go so fast, but its a sci-fi show, so you accept stuff like that. The show's theme song is a bit annoying, but that doesn't matter. I like Crichton. He has some funny lines (little yellow balls of light ) and he seems like an interesting character. The puppets took a little getting used to, but I like them. The effects are pretty good. Not mind blowing, but enjoyable (not that effects are super important to me, but its always nice for them to be good). The main ship looks cool, and I like the concept of a living ship. The Peacekeepers seem a little bland as an evil empire, and the revenge plot with the leader isn't anything new, but they play their role well. I like the characters. I'm interested to see how they develop and learn more about them. I enjoyed this episode.

Babylon 5 ("Midnight on the Firing Line") - I've mentioned what I thought of this before, so I'll just add a little bit. The effects/sets are not great, even compared to other shows of the time period it was on, but as long as the story is good bad effects can be ignored, and the story was interesting. I didn't see The Gathering, but I don't think I missed much. I wasn't confused during the episode. I may not know some of the back story, but I'm sure I'll be informed as the series goes on. The characters were interesting, and I liked the tone of the show, serious and, it seemed to me, somewhat dramatic, which seemed to fit it. I'm interested in seeing what comes next.

I liked both episodes, but so far I think I have to give the edge to Farscape. It just seems like a fun show.

I also watched the second Farscape episode, (I, E.T.). It was pretty good. I liked the concept, and I liked that we get more time with the characters and get some character development. Even the child actor wasn't horrible, and traditionally I dislike episodes of TV series that have a focus on child actors (not that he was really a focus, but he didn't annoy me). A solid episode.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 06:39 PM   #112
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Sorry for the double post, but I watched a few more Farscape episodes over the weekend.

Exodus from Genesis - This was a good episode.

Throne for a Loss - I liked this episode, and I'm starting to enjoy Rygel more as a character.

I expect B5 to come within a few days, so I'll post about its episodes when I get it. I'll probably split my viewing time evenly between B5 and farscape.
Old August 6 2012, 08:19 PM   #113
MacLeod
Admiral

I enjoyed both shows.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 10:43 PM   #114
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
As most people on here currently debating what sounds like a fairly major plot point of Farscape with no end in sight, I think it's fairly obvious that the OP should choose B5.
I don't know. That depends on how much plot matters to you. There's also character, setting, mood, humor, visuals, music, dialogue . . . .

If plot was all that mattered, then reading a synopsis would be the same as watching the show!

Which is fine, since I was being semi-facetious anyway.
Old August 7 2012, 04:52 AM   #115
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Ooh, Farscape commenting time!

OK, firstly, the puppets and special effects in general look ridiculously better in the third and fourth seasons, and the second has a firmer grip on things, too. But really, I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised with the overall production value of the series going into its second half. There's a big leap between years two and three, and for the life of me I've never gotten around to asking anyone why. The show was never exactly a breakaway hit ratings-wise, so I dunno.

As for the theme song, it's so ingrained into me that I can't imagine disliking it, but I have a long history with the show! That said, I'll spoil for you that the theme song changes in the third year (there we go with big alterations again) and Crichton's narration changes every year, too, which is neat. Anyway, point is, I think the second theme is loads better, and sounds much crisper and higher-quality to boot.

If you liked "I, ET", I think you're in for a real treat with the show. Many consider that a pretty bad ep overall, and a really weak one to show as the second hour of the series, and I agree with them. But I do think it has some saving graces. Aeryn and D'Argo in a tree (thankfully, not K-I-S-S-I-N-G?) was great stuff in particular, I thought.

"Exodus from Genesis" is really good for the first half of the first season, which is certainly the weakest run in the show. (Which is always nice, because it means brighter pastures are ahead of ya!) The space bugs are actually kinda cool, and seeing someone so down-to-Earth (except not...) as Crichton handling sci-fi tropes is really fun.

"Throne For A Loss" is also solid stuff for its era. Rygel comes into his own in this ep, although I think the writers still struggled with him a little for several more episodes. Many would disagree with me, and I respect that -- I think they wrote him well for what he's presented as, but he's just not all that deep, yet. Yes, believe it or not, even Rygel gets deep!

As for B5, I guess you didn't miss too much without "The Gathering", and seeing all the cast changes is kinda odd, anyway. I'll try to remember to point something nifty out about a certain character's arrival on the station later on, though, as she'll in fact be familiar to all those who watched the pilot!
Old August 7 2012, 06:14 PM   #116
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I, ET was kind of weak, but I thought the concept was done well enough. Its probably my least favorite episode so far, but I still liked it. I just watched another episode today.

Back and Back and Back to the Future - The concept of repeating a future event has been done several times (like in ST:TNG's great "Cause and Effect" episode) but I liked how this episode did it.
Old August 7 2012, 09:11 PM   #117
Harvey
Admiral

I think "Back and Back and Back to the Future" is my least favorite episode from the first season, but it does establish something that will become important later...

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 10:50 PM   #118
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Having Crichton as the perspective so much especially early on really helps sell the idea that this is sort of an average human dude from 1999, who is, granted, quite intelligent and very genre-savvy, but otherwise, no bells and whistles. And he's surrounded by the other end of the galaxy, literally and figuratively.
Old August 7 2012, 11:18 PM   #119
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Thanks for playing.
You know Greg, just sometimes I'll post not because I'm making a considered statement, but because I'm in a bit of a snarky or offhand mood and then I'll regret it. I didn't exactly advance the discussion much did I
Well, I'll admit to a bit of snark there myself, but your original post did seem like a bit of drive-by!
Yep - caught snarking !

TBH I'm glad you called me on it. I'm now thinking I may have to give Farscape another go. It's not like there's a lot of new none Earth based Sci-fi to watch is there ?
Old August 8 2012, 06:11 PM   #120
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Thank God It's Friday, Again - I didn't really like this episode, although its hard for me to be specific. It had some good moments, I liked Pilot and aeryn's scene, but overall its my least favorite episode. The white skinned woman with red eyes really annoyed me with the way she talked and acted. The story as a whole had an ok concept, but it just didn't feel quite right to me. This wasn't a horrible episode, but I didn't really enjoy it.