Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 3 2012, 07:06 PM   #376
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/dg3.cfm

You were officially a consultant with the show.

Well, actually I was supposed to be a producer, but they kept whittling my duties. And my title. And my pay. And I finally got the very clear message that Gene's lawyer didn't like me. And that whatever Gene promised me, the lawyer was going to take away. And the lawyer was afraid that Gene was going to lose control of the show. So what he was doing was significantly undermining everybody that might be a threat to Gene, so that he could stay in control. And he appointed himself chief of staff. And the result was that we had a lawyer running the show. A lawyer who had no knowledge of how to do television. No knowledge of what Star Trek was supposed to be. And he was re-writing scripts. And I said, "Gee, this is going to be the worst possible situation to be on. How can we do a real Star Trek when we've got a guy here who's thinking only in terms of how much money he can make?" He thought he was protecting Gene, but in his efforts to protect Gene, he was hurting Gene. I was the second or third person to leave, but there were 30 other people who followed me out the door in that first season alone.
Old August 3 2012, 08:07 PM   #377
MikeS
Fleet Captain

According to that interview Rodenberry didn't like Berman. I always got the impression that Berman was crowned as successor by Rodenberry himself! Either Gerrold is very bitter or Berman is one incrediably gifted propogandist!
Old August 3 2012, 08:19 PM   #378
cbspock
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well in his son's TrekNation doc from a few months back, we saw footage of him appearing forgetful during an interview. Not sure what the cause was, though.

To be fair though, with or without Gene it was probably going to take some time to iron things out with TNG. Launching an entirely new Star Trek series with a whole new cast would have been a huge, daunting task for anyone.

The fact we got as many great episodes in that first season as we DID is kind of amazing, if you ask me.

TNG Season 1 is a horror show compared to Season 1 of Star Trek. Oh and for the 60s, the effects even looked better than season 1 of TNG. Why just light the warp engines on ENT-D when the Enterprise had a cool looking effect in model.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 08:22 PM   #379
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Well Gene lost control of the movie franchise, and it was for the better. Although I would have loved to have seen his treatment for Star Trek 2 with the Kennedy Assassination story as possibly a TNG / DS9 or Voyager episode or movie.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 08:26 PM   #380
cbspock
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Well, actually I was supposed to be a producer, but they kept whittling my duties. And my title. And my pay. And I finally got the very clear message that Gene's lawyer didn't like me. And that whatever Gene promised me, the lawyer was going to take away. And the lawyer was afraid that Gene was going to lose control of the show. So what he was doing was significantly undermining everybody that might be a threat to Gene, so that he could stay in control. And he appointed himself chief of staff. And the result was that we had a lawyer running the show. A lawyer who had no knowledge of how to do television. No knowledge of what Star Trek was supposed to be. And he was re-writing scripts. And I said, "Gee, this is going to be the worst possible situation to be on. How can we do a real Star Trek when we've got a guy here who's thinking only in terms of how much money he can make?" He thought he was protecting Gene, but in his efforts to protect Gene, he was hurting Gene. I was the second or third person to leave, but there were 30 other people who followed me out the door in that first season alone.

As was said on Revisited.. Gene could take a bad script and make it good, but he could also take a great script and make it good.

Looking back on the "modern" series. I think DS9 is the stand out for stories, and characters, it was also more true to Star Trek. TNG's best work was season 3-5, and Voyager was best when it didn't try to be TNG-Lite, when Voyager was a straight up action adventure show it had good episodes.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 08:56 PM   #381
Ghostface1701
Commander

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
I thought the CG model was pretty impressive when I first saw it, but the detail on the real model blows it out of the water!

BillJ wrote: View Post

Thanks for this link. I've been a TNG for over 20 years, and I'd always believed Berman was Roddenberry-approved. My mind boggles at what Trek would be like without the interference of these men in suits.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 09:16 PM   #382
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
Thanks for that! As far as I can tell, it was first found and re-used in "Lonely Among Us", albeit flopped. Courtesy of TrekCore:

Full res: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...ongushd288.jpg

I'm still not entirely sure why these found shots were not replaced in episodes like "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Code of Honor". I thought their philosophy was to use whatever they could find that was original (e.g. the 13 seconds they finally located for "Sins of the Father"). According to the time stamps on the stream folders on the Blu-rays, they were authored around late May. Seems like plenty of time to drop the shots back into the episodes and re-render/re-encode.

And now they have a second chance with the replacement program -- though I doubt we'll see a fix there either. Not going to keep me up at night or anything... but strange nonetheless.
Old August 3 2012, 09:26 PM   #383
BillJ
Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Thanks for this link. I've been a TNG for over 20 years, and I'd always believed Berman was Roddenberry-approved. My mind boggles at what Trek would be like without the interference of these men in suits.
Well, Gerrold was only there for six months. So no one honestly knows what types of twists and turns the relationship between Roddenberry and Berman took.
Old August 3 2012, 09:27 PM   #384
cbspock
Rear Admiral

People are complaining about a missing phaser blast in Heart of Glory, the scene is editing slightly different, you see the shot from the gun, then it cuts to the security guy getting hit. The sequence looks better now, with the beams coming from the right place.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 09:28 PM   #385
davejames
Vice Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
TNG Season 1 is a horror show compared to Season 1 of Star Trek. Oh and for the 60s, the effects even looked better than season 1 of TNG. Why just light the warp engines on ENT-D when the Enterprise had a cool looking effect in model.
Well I think everyone agrees that TOS had the best first season of any Trek.

But for my money Where No One, Big Goodbye, 11010011, Heart of Glory, and Conspiracy are still some of the best episodes of TNG that were ever made-- and up there with the best eps of Trek period.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 09:31 PM   #386
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

People are complaining about a missing phaser blast in Heart of Glory, the scene is editing slightly different, you see the shot from the gun, then it cuts to the security guy getting hit. The sequence looks better now, with the beams coming from the right place.

-Chris
So wait, you're saying that rather than forgetting to add an effect, they actually fixed a continuity error? I guess I have to watch the DVD and Blu-ray again.
Old August 3 2012, 09:33 PM   #387
BillJ
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well I think everyone agrees that TOS had the best first season of any Trek.

But for my money Where No One, Big Goodbye, 11010011, Heart of Glory, and Conspiracy are still some of the best episodes of TNG that were ever made-- and up there with the best eps of Trek period.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. In addition, TNG effects work of 1987 are far better than the TOS work of 1966. TOS effects look amazing for their time and TNG effects look amazing for their time.
Old August 3 2012, 09:49 PM   #388
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Season 1 on DVD always looked crappier than the rest of the DVD set. Now the season 1 blu, makes all those seasons on DVD look like crap.
I actually think with the bluray sets, the opposite is going to be the case. The season one lighting is so much better than in later seasons, that I think season one (and maybe season two) is going to benefit the most from this remaster. On the sampler, "Farpoint" looked better by far than "Sins of the Father" or "Inner Light." It's like we had to wait all these years to really reap the benefits of the season one lighting, but it's totally made the season one remaster for me.

Last edited by Hober Mallow; August 3 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 10:16 PM   #389
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think calling Gene an "idiot" is needlessly harsh. His views and direction was certainly different than what others had and maybe not suited for a 1980s TV audience and sensibilities but much of his vision for the series and the "universe" of Trek lasted throughout TNG (though mostly went away in DS9 and in Voyager.) I'd probably liken him to George Lucas in a way that he "had a good idea" that was best brought out by people who were better writers and directors. But Gene an "idiot" no way, he's the one that brought everything to life when it comes to Trek. Without him we never would have had any of it. It was better and stronger because of those he trusted to work under him but it still all started with him. Though it did seem (maybe due to declining health/encroaching senility) he was a bit power-made as TNG's 1st season wound down. But everyone still had strong respect for the man.
Old August 3 2012, 11:35 PM   #390
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

-Chris
So wait, you're saying that rather than forgetting to add an effect, they actually fixed a continuity error? I guess I have to watch the DVD and Blu-ray again.
Okay, so I just examined the DVD and Blu-ray again and the sequence is edited exactly the same. The phaser beam is genuinely missing and it's a full-on mistake -- there has been NO attempt at correcting beam placement (one isn't required).

Funny thing is, they went to all the trouble of erasing the security guard's pyrotechnic igniter squib from his uniform AND the wire coming out of his pant leg! Everything looks great... except for the missing beam.