Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2012, 09:19 PM   #1051
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So whats with the Captain Marvel covers using WWII iconography????? I know they're trying to push the military connection, but it strikes me as odd.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 11:08 PM   #1052
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The inside of issue one was a good read, I don't have to be acidic about the crass sucker bait if the product has quality.

I think i found a loophole around that whole "worthy" clause with Mjolnir.

Odin might think that warriors are worthy because they are honorable and accomplished warriors, but what about woman? If he want's a hummer from some barwench in the local tavern when the wife isn't looking, doesn't that make HER worthy in the eyes of Odin?

It is by Odins estimate and not abstract right?

Becuase why would Thor be able to lift the hammer when in the beginning he had been exiled for being a dick?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:11 AM   #1053
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

They're being retro?

Really excited about "The Mighty Thor" creative team. I'll pretty much read anything Marvel wise from Jason Aaron now.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 1 2012 at 06:06 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:54 AM   #1054
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Hawkeye #1 by Fraction and Aja was fantastic! A done in one focusing on who Clint Barton is when he is not wearing the costume and his life outside the Avengers. We see where he lives, who his neighbors are and how he relates to them. In the end, whether wearing a costume or not, Clint can't help but be a hero. No Kate Bishop yet-- hopefully next issue, which one can assume will be more of a super-hero style tale.

Defenders #9-- Wow, I'm actually buying two Matt Fraction books a month. Up until Defenders, I wasn't really a fan of, well, much of anything he had written (disclaimer-- Never read his and Brubaker's Iron Fist. His characterization of Danny here makes me want to hunt down the trade). In this issue, the Concordance Engine sends the team to a just-slightly alternate Earth in the 1960's where they try to gain the help of that timeline's Nick Fury. At he end, they escape that timeline, but don't find home, as they nfind their way to yet another alternate time-line (anyone else reminded of "The Cross-Time Caper"?). It would seem that 60's Nick is the Fury reported to be joining the team, as they accidently bring 60s Nick with them.

Daredevil 16 was mostly about the efforts of Hank Pym, Tony Stark and Dr. Strange to free Matt from the senses-deadening nano-bots that he was injected with in Latveria and was almost as much about Hank Pym as it was about Matt Murdock.

The ending was disturbing. Foggy confronts Matt about what he found in Matt's desk drawer, and it is revealed to be...

Foggy, of course, takes this as proof positive that Matt has gone nuts. Matt claims to not remember doing this, but Foggy doesn't buy it, and kicks Matt out of the firm until he gets help.

Avengers Academy 34-- the first issue of the long-awaited "Final Exam" arc. Without their teachers to guide them, Mettle and Hazmat take up Jeremy Briggs offer of a cure to their powers. Former team-mate Veil tells them that he is on the up and up, as he has already cured her. Mettle and Hazmat take Jeremy up on the offer-- and it works. Hazmat can finally remove her suit and Mettle is restored to human form. Then Jeremy drops the other shoe-- he plans on using this "cure" on every super-powered human on the planet, thus ending the super-hero/villain paradigm that he believes is the cause of so many problems. Mettle, Hazmat, Stryker and Veil all seem to side with Jeremy, leaving Reptil, Finesse, Lightspeed and White Tiger on the run.

With this issue, Christos Gage ups the ante for out cast as he brings the 2nd act of Avengers Academy to its conclusion. A lot of old subplots move forward in this issue and a lot of things happen. Can't wait for the next issue.
Old August 2 2012, 05:59 AM   #1055
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Looks like it's to be Waid and Yu on Hulk.

I'll be interested in hearing what Waid's take on the book will be.
Old August 2 2012, 06:23 AM   #1056
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Rich reported this back in June, but I believe he is wrong about The Hulk and the Agents of Smash...unless that is something entirely separate coming still. Mark Waid and Lenil Yu on Hulk though. I'm excited.

Old August 2 2012, 09:52 AM   #1057
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Daredevil and Defenders were my favorite Marvel books this week. loved all the 60s craziness in Defenders.
Old August 3 2012, 03:11 AM   #1058
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Deadpool gets a new creative team

Really interesting choices here. I can't tell if it's so awesome it has no choice to be good or if it's a case of so awesome, it can only be bad.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:11 AM   #1059
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Next week's previews...

Avengers Assemble #6
Marvel Universe Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes #5
Captain America #16
Captain America & Iron Man #635
Daredevil Annual #1
Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #2
Fantastic Four #609
Gambit #1
The Incredible Hulk #12
The Mighty Thor #18
New Avengers #29
Scarlet Spider #8
The Sensational Spider-Man #33.1
Space Punisher #2
Spider-Men #4
Venom #22
Wolverine #311
X-Men Legacy #271

For me-- Avengers Assemble, Captain America, Fantastic Four, The Mighty Thor (first part of the "Everything Burns" crossover with Journey into Mystery), and New Avengers.
Old August 3 2012, 09:02 AM   #1060
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Just finished reading Avenging Spider-Man #10, the conclusion to the Peter/Carol team up and man was it good and we managed to get a heart-warming story out of too. I don't know if there are any other Peter/Carol shippers out there but Marvel has my blessing if they ever get the guts to get these two together. Their dynamic is just awesome together and really why I've become such a huge Captain Marvel fan over the last two or three years. The art was fantastic as well.

Incredible Hulk #11: This was kind of a meh story with the exception of the way Jason Aaron wrote Kraven which I thought was exceptional. I'm starting to agree with those who have stated this is fizzling out a bit, so perhaps it's a good thing Aaron's run is coming to an end in a couple of months. It started out great, but now it's becoming a little pointless.

Old August 3 2012, 06:26 PM   #1061
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I read Avenging Spider-man #10 as well. While the story was decent I just wan't gripped by it overall. Frankly I've buying the title cause it was a team up book but the overall tone of the stories has me dropping the title. The title's tone, not Spidey. A book with the title Avenging should be a bit more...vengeful. The overall stories since the opening one have all been just too much...fluff, filler, not important.

Read Defenders #9, the mix of characters is just intriguing enough to keep me coming back even though Fraction writes it with a bit more tounge-in-cheek each month than I might prefer. Looks like Ant-Man stops by next month.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 07:08 PM   #1062
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Marvel rounds out a week of announcements with...

Simon Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat on what is speculated to be X-Men: Legacy.

Confirmation of Remeder and Romita Jr. on Captain America.

And the surprising news that FF will be continuing post-Hickman, with both FF and Fantastic Four to be written by Matt Fraction with the art duties by Mark Bagley and Mike Allred, respectively.

So, there it is-- the future of the Marvel Universe. What say you?
Old August 3 2012, 08:24 PM   #1063
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
A book with the title Avenging should be a bit more...vengeful.
But that's not exactly the point of the book, is it? I thought its entire purpose was to be a book specifically focusing on Spidey teaming up with individual fellow Avengers.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 09:11 PM   #1064
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yep. The title focuses more on Peter's Avengers teammates teaming up with him rather than any "Avenging" going on.

I'll give Matt Fraction a chance on "Fantastic Four". I love the artists...this has potential indeed with just the artists! LOL. Captain America with Remender and John Jr....awesome!

So Rich turned out to be 90 percent correct. Unless there are further announcements down the road. Also he poses a good question...Where are the Phoenix Five come October? We've only been shown a redesigned Cyclops in the original Marvel Now teaser poster...but we've not seen any of the others yet. Obviously Marvel is keeping their fate post Avengers Vs X-Men a secret...but it is an interesting question.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/...ve-in-october/

Old August 3 2012, 10:08 PM   #1065
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
A book with the title Avenging should be a bit more...vengeful.
But that's not exactly the point of the book, is it? I thought its entire purpose was to be a book specifically focusing on Spidey teaming up with individual fellow Avengers.
Is it? If it is then I just didn't know that and therefore drew my own conclusion.

At any rate, I still have to cut back on my books and am going to drop this one. The Infernal Man-Thing mini ends next month.

I'm literally trying to get no more than 5 books a month come next year and this title currently has a good stopping point. The trimming has to start somewhere. Incredible Hulk will be over come end of the year. I'm only getting Dark Avengers for the Man-Thing developments, that may be resolved by then. That leaves me Punisher and Defenders, the former of which is on a collision course for termination but not likely till about March.

I'll be reading the thread for details till I get some TPB.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote