MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Deborah Ann Woll
Thumbs Up 69 77.53%
Thumbs Down 7 7.87%
Thumbs Sideways 13 14.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Deborah Ann Woll: Babe of the week #32 (Aug. 2012)

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
According to wiki, she also suffers from coeliac disease: a couple of friends of mine have it, and while not life threatening, it's certainly no fun.
I just found out that a lot of people have it and don't even know it. Not everyone shows obvious symptoms.

Don't know much about Deborah Ann Woll, but she's obviously popular with the True Blood crowd. My first thought upon seeing that main pic was "Little Red Riding Hood".
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

She's one of the few consistently good things about True Blood, her character arc has been one of the more interesting to follow.

I have her added on Facebook, she's funny, witty, and devotes a lot of her time to helping others.
Old August 3 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Scout101
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
As an aside, and building off of the previous couple of these threads: we argue about all the sexist and crude comments in these threads, but we've already had two female posters whose response has essentially been "I'd fuck her". We're either ok with that kind of comment or we're not, right? Guy says the same thing, we go through the same shitstorm again.

Just saying...
I dunno. To test your hypotesis, I suggest you go around calling black people the n-word. Since I've seen some black guys using it among themselves, it must be obviously perfectly ok for white people to use it. The world is perfectly black-and-white, after all, with no nuances and situational conditions.
Interesting strawman, but don't see how it plays into what I said. Completely different situation, and you know it.

Hell, we just spent the last couple weeks' worth of threads beating down anyone who said anything other than "I respect her as an individual", and decrying anything worse as locker room trash that makes people uncomfortable, but we get two people essentially saying "I'd fuck her" and that's cool?

The locker room vibe is either ok or it's not. If you want to get on people's cases about it, shouldn't really have the people complaining about it doing it themselves.

Just to go off on a tangent, will pick at the strawman for fun. Personally, (white male, so little value in my opinion here, i guess), I'd say that blacks should STOP using the n-word. I kinda get why it started, trying to de-power the word by making it their own and changing the meaning somewhat. But at this point, their own use is helping to keep it alive. If they weren't using it so heavily themselves, it would be less common, and easier to stamp out the racist assholes that used it. Make it a big deal, and you won't see it out much. By using it so much themselves, it really harms their cause. White people see blacks using it, and the shock value isn't there as much. Yeah, a white guy saying it is still gonna cause a shit storm, but when blacks are still using it so much, it's harder to find the high ground that makes it sometimes ok vs a horrible offense. My (admittedly fairly worthless) two cents on that one...

I guess to tie that back into the above topic: if you want to curb the locker room trash talking, maybe don't go into threads and talk about whether the woman being featured is fuckable or not? Or bitch less when others act the same way you're acting. It's not nearly at the level of the n-word discussion, but don't get offended when others act the same way you're acting...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 04:40 PM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Hell, we just spent the last couple weeks' worth of threads beating down anyone who said anything other than "I respect her as an individual", and decrying anything worse as locker room trash that makes people uncomfortable, but we get two people essentially saying "I'd fuck her" and that's cool?
I have certainly never said it was "cool". I don't know where you did get that.

The locker room vibe is either ok or it's not. If you want to get on people's cases about it, shouldn't really have the people complaining about it doing it themselves.

(...)

I guess to tie that back into the above topic: if you want to curb the locker room trash talking, maybe don't go into threads and talk about whether the woman being featured is fuckable or not? Or bitch less when others act the same way you're acting. It's not nearly at the level of the n-word discussion, but don't get offended when others act the same way you're acting...
Who is this "you" you are talking about? The people making those comments are certainly not me, and neither people who complained about the behaviour. Or I suppose all women (and all "masculine feminists", to quote another poster) look the same to you?
Old August 3 2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Way up.
Old August 3 2012, 04:43 PM   #21
RevdKathy
I WILL have this wedding PERFECT!

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

Err, I don't recall either woman here saying the candidate was 'fuckable'. They said they'd be interested in her if they were gay. Whether that interest was as a friend, girlfriend, confidante, romantic attachment or for sex was never specified.

Making it rather different from
"I'd do her"
Old August 3 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Err, I don't recall either woman here saying the candidate was 'fuckable'. They said they'd be interested in her if they were gay. Whether that interest was as a friend, girlfriend, confidante, romantic attachment or for sex was never specified.

"I'd do her"
What do you think "If ever I were to go gay, Ms. Woll would be my first choice" insinuates? First choice for what? Bridge partner? Tennis doubles partner? Personal chef?

Let's not delude ourselves.
Old August 3 2012, 05:55 PM   #23
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Instead of arguing over the intent of the words, why don't we ask?

Dorian Thompson and DevilEyes, was your intent to say that, if you were gay, you would fuck Deborah Ann Woll, or were you thinking of a more general form of companionship? Your answers are very important, they will determine in which direction this thread will be derailed.
Old August 3 2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Scout101
Admiral

have certainly never said it was "cool". I don't know where you did get that.
Guess I got that from you going after the guys talking shit in the last thread, but you choosing to ignore the comments in this one in favor of picking on mine...

Who is this "you" you are talking about?
poor pronoun choice, I suppose. 'You' as part of a bigger group, as opposed to you singular, I guess. You had nothing to say about the comments in this thread, but did in the previous one.

Most of the rest of the 'you' comments could just be replaced with the term 'one', as in "if one wanted to complain", etc. Shouldn't have been all directed at you, most was generic to the group.

Or I suppose all women (and all "masculine feminists", to quote another poster) look the same to you?
And back to strawmen again? Wanna point out my comments about women all looking/being/acting the same?

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post

"I'd do her"
What do you think "If ever I were to go gay, Ms. Woll would be my first choice" insinuates? First choice for what? Bridge partner? Tennis doubles partner? Personal chef?

Let's not delude ourselves.
Indeed. Not a lot of detective work to figure out exactly what was implied. But whereas in the previous thread, anyone who said anything like that was a close-minded sexist pig, nary a peep this time...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old August 3 2012, 06:18 PM   #25
Scout101
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Instead of arguing over the intent of the words, why don't we ask?

Dorian Thompson and DevilEyes, was your intent to say that, if you were gay, you would fuck Deborah Ann Woll, or were you thinking of a more general form of companionship?
Guess you could choose to be pedantic, but seems pretty clear. If they were talking about being friends, what does their current sexual orientation have to do with it? Nothing, the comment was intended to be sexual, as it would appear.

Several posters chose to make a stand in the couple previous threads about this, and appeared to have pretty wide support. Let's just be consistent about it, I guess...
Old August 3 2012, 06:45 PM   #26
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

UP

Even though I can't see a single pic here at work I'm quite familiar with her to know my vote. Didn't know about her condition with coeliac.

I can see I didn't quite get in before the crazy derailment begins yet again.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 06:53 PM   #27
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Guess you could choose to be pedantic, but seems pretty clear. If they were talking about being friends, what does their current sexual orientation have to do with it?
Because there's more to a relationship than sex. Sure, sex is usually a component in romantic relationships (although asexual relationships do exist), but it is far from the only component, and most people that reach adulthood know that. There is a big difference between saying "I wish to be in a relationship with person A" and "I wish to fuck person A", and I have to believe that you're intelligent enough to understand the distinction.

Which of those meanings did those two women in question intend to use? I don't know, I'll let them elaborate if they choose to do so.

Nothing, the comment was intended to be sexual, as it would appear.
In a binary world.

Several posters chose to make a stand in the couple previous threads about this, and appeared to have pretty wide support. Let's just be consistent about it, I guess...
Yes, I'm aware of recent events.
Old August 3 2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Sideways.

Pretty, obviously, but in that other-wordly Romantic/Pre-Raphaelite sort of way that doesn't do it for me at all. Not even a whiff of sultriness in her photos. Haven't seen her in anything though, so maybe she comes across differently in motion.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:41 PM   #29
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I read the name and said, "Who?"

Then I saw the pictures and said, "Meh."

Sideways.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 10:14 PM   #30
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Cute, sure.

As an aside, and building off of the previous couple of these threads: we argue about all the sexist and crude comments in these threads, but we've already had two female posters whose response has essentially been "I'd fuck her". We're either ok with that kind of comment or we're not, right? Guy says the same thing, we go through the same shitstorm again.

Just saying...

So, let me get this clear:

1) When someone tells you they're interested in you or asks you on a date, you immediately run off crying "Noooo, he/she just essentially told me 'I want to fuck you'! I am so offended!"

2) When you want to ask someone on a date, you say "I'd like to fuck you". 'Cause, it essentially means the same thing, so why not say it like that?

I'm just trying to understand how exactly your mind works, out of curiosity. It's certainly one of TrekBBS's biggest oddities I've encountered.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote