Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 1 2012, 01:38 AM   #76
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Reading this thread, last night I was watching some of my favorite clips from my favorite episode of the series, "The Way We Weren't", from season 2. I don't think there was any other series that did character development as well as Farscape did. You always hear the thing about you don't have to watch Season 1 to understand the characters. Well, with Farscape, you're cheating yourself if you don't watch Season 1 because of the consequences you see in Season 2. I watch clips of TWWW, understanding what has happened to both Aeryn and Pilot up to that point, it's a really rewarding experience, not to mention Black and Tupu/The Puppeteers pulled off a masterpiece in their own right.

I think that's why I love Farscape more than any other show. The cast was brilliant, the stories were compelling, and the show knew how to reward it's audience with timely revelations and fantastic acting. I can't say the same thing for most shows I've seen, including Babylon 5 (Which had great acting and great revelations as well, just not as good).
Old August 1 2012, 03:51 AM   #77
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I just got extremely lucky. I was ordering from Amazon (my order of B5 came first yesterday with money I got early) with the rest of the money that I got today I was planning to order Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim for the PS3. I was ordering it for me and my brother, after that I was sure I wouldn't have enough money for another season, which is why I made this thread before I decided what season I was going to get. But, Skyrim was cheaper then I expected (I always buy used on Amazon) and, I was able to get Farscape season 1

I appreciate the responses in this thread. I didn't think I would be able to get both, so it helped make my decision. I'm SUPER excited to get both first seasons, and I'm sure I'll be getting more seasons after that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 03:57 AM   #78
Forbin
Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I can definitely see how either series would have a hard time hooking someone early on, really. If my grandmother hadn't started watching the both of them, I might have passed them over as a kid.

I'm confident I'd have returned to them as an adult, given my ongoing interest in space opera settings, but yeah.
Grandmother?!!? But... but... they were just ON. A few years ago!

Must adjust my brain clock to "old" some day.

Nah.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 04:21 AM   #79
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

For what it's worth, she was still pretty darn young at the time! She was only 48 when B5 started and 54 when Farscape began.

And you're on a roll, kirk -- Babylon 5, Farscape and Skyrim combined offer you hundreds of hours of entertainment!
Old August 1 2012, 11:18 AM   #80
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Indeed, he's only missing Mass Effect........!
Old August 1 2012, 01:32 PM   #81
Forbin
Admiral

Bad acting on B5: I don't think there was any from the main cast, but some of the one-shot background characters could be just AWful! The one I specifically remember is the woman and her family in down-below when Franklin was on his walkabout. The one when the kid's ball rolls up to him. She was projecting and waving and overemoting like it was a freshman high school play. Gah!
Old August 1 2012, 06:09 PM   #82
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I love the ME series. I own a PS3, and I played 2 & 3. I loved 2, and 99% of three (except the ending). They're the best sci-fi video games I've ever played, and they're just awesome in general.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 08:09 PM   #83
Reverend
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I love the ME series. I own a PS3, and I played 2 & 3. I loved 2, and 99% of three (except the ending). They're the best sci-fi video games I've ever played, and they're just awesome in general.
Then you might notice something very familiar feeling about Babylon 5. I know that when I first played ME1 I had just such a feeling...

Forbin wrote: View Post
Bad acting on B5: I don't think there was any from the main cast, but some of the one-shot background characters could be just AWful! The one I specifically remember is the woman and her family in down-below when Franklin was on his walkabout. The one when the kid's ball rolls up to him. She was projecting and waving and overemoting like it was a freshman high school play. Gah!
Not that I necessarily disagree, but I've actually met (completely bonkers) people who act *exactly* like that.

Also, I think the bulk of the hammy guest actors are mostly only show up in season one. Or at least that's where the worst offenders are contained. For me the absolute nadir was that telepath girl in 'Legacies'. I swear, either the casting director had a concussion that week, or she must have been some studio big-wig's niece to land that part.

Not to pick on the poor girl, but I happened to be watching 'Gone in Sixty Seconds' a few week back and...well, you remember that bit where the bloke had become a driving instructor and the girl can't drive to save her life? That's her. Am I crazy or is that some of the strangest cry acting ever committed to film?

Last edited by Reverend; August 1 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:31 AM   #84
Forbin
Admiral

How about that crazy-eyed bitch who was supposed marry Vir? There was some pretty mediocre acting!
Old August 2 2012, 11:01 AM   #85
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think it's fair to say that yes, some of the guest acting left a lot to be desired, and at times, some of the dialogue that Joe wrote was pretty clunky, but, ultimately, the weight of the ongoing arcs was more than enough to compensate for that short-coming. Not to mention that the acting from the primary cast was actually very good.
Old August 2 2012, 12:17 PM   #86
Relayer1
Commodore

Neither. I thought Farscape was junk, and B5 flawed and badly acted for the most part.

I'd pick B5 if I had to...
Old August 2 2012, 07:51 PM   #87
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I think it's fair to say that yes, some of the guest acting left a lot to be desired, and at times, some of the dialogue that Joe wrote was pretty clunky, but, ultimately, the weight of the ongoing arcs was more than enough to compensate for that short-coming. Not to mention that the acting from the primary cast was actually very good.
Yeah, pretty much.
Old August 2 2012, 08:05 PM   #88
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Neither. I thought Farscape was junk, and B5 flawed and badly acted for the most part.

I'd pick B5 if I had to...
Thanks for playing.
Old August 2 2012, 08:28 PM   #89
Kegg
Rear Admiral

They're both basically good shows, both worth checking out if you like space opera TV (which as a peruser of the TrekBBS you probably do), although I'd consider Farscape the sigificantly better show in terms of acting, writing, etc.; Babylon 5 did benefit from a novelistic structure to its arcs and the ability to provide payoff for seeds planted years before.
Old August 2 2012, 08:47 PM   #90
stj
Rear Admiral

Spoiler coded after I was reminded the OP hadn't seen the series yet.

Last edited by stj; August 2 2012 at 11:10 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote