Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 2 2012, 05:47 AM   #31
Dream
Admiral

Re: X-MEN: First Class sequel (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

I guess this means they'll use old Wolverine for all the future scenes. Now they can have their cake and eat it too.

Jackman should be pleased.
Old August 2 2012, 03:48 PM   #32
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Seems to me they'd be better off saving DOFP for FC3, after FC2 makes a hard break with the previous continuity, with Mags being mischievous and pissing the world off. Though I guess they could do both at once - one of FC's strengths, after all, was the extent to which they packed so much into one movie.

Either way, hope the end of FC2 breaks with prior continuity once and for all.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 05:17 PM   #33
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I guess this means they'll use old Wolverine for all the future scenes. Now they can have their cake and eat it too.

Jackman should be pleased.
Unless they choose to use a different character.
Old August 2 2012, 05:20 PM   #34
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I hope they use Wolverine. I always love seeing Hugh Jackman play that part.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 06:04 PM   #35
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I hope they use Wolverine. I always love seeing Hugh Jackman play that part.
Oh I do, too. I just don't think we should automatically assume that they will go that route.
Old August 2 2012, 06:24 PM   #36
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Wow. I'm suddenly really excited for this.

Days of Future Past is one of my favorite X-Men storylines (as a matter of fact, it's probably one of my favorite comic-book storylines period). I'm VERY excited that this is happening. I was already excited for the First Class sequel, but now my anticipation has just risen through the roof!

Also, interesting side note: In the original storyline, Kitty Pryde travels back to the 1980's if memory serves me correctly. I know Vaughn was talking about setting the sequel in the later half of the 60's, dealing with the Kennedy assassination and perhaps the Vietnam War. I wonder if this is still happening, or if the sequel is going to jump to the 80's (in which case introducing Scott Summers and Jean Grey might be more of a possibility).
Old August 2 2012, 06:27 PM   #37
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I imagine they're Star Trek-ing the X-Men franchise so that they can have their own wacky adventures without worrying about the existing franchise continuity.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 06:42 PM   #38
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I imagine they're Star Trek-ing the X-Men franchise so that they can have their own wacky adventures without worrying about the existing franchise continuity.
So, let's assume that is what they are going to do. How would the forthcoming Wolverine film and any other sequels to that fit in? Just as a hypothetical, I'd like to hear people's ideas.
Old August 2 2012, 07:40 PM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Sounds like Sean O'Neal of the AV Club would fit right in around these parts:
And yes, Singer further hinted that this does mean the film could "bring some connectivity" between the two X-Men incarnations beyond Hugh Jackman cameos, and clear up any inconsistencies between their continuities using the old comic-book trick of "alternate universes." Of course, that's all just speculation at this point, and it will likely remain that way until 2014 (or the first leaked set report of, say, Patrick Stewart turning up). But if they are planning on establishing alternate X-Men timelines, perhaps this will eventually lead to the designation and subsequent disowning of Earth-Ratner.
Wouldn't it be awesome if they really ignored The Last Stand, and had the Sentinel-fueled future come about in reaction to Mags' attempt at exterminating all humanity in X2? Only trouble is that I don't quite see how the FC cast would be in a position to do much about that so early on...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 09:23 PM   #40
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well that was surprising. I honestly didn't expect this to turn out to be true. Mostly because as Singer himself said, it's a very ambitions concept.

Obviously if they're setting the "present" in the 60's a lot of the details will change (probably meaning the dystopian future will be set in the X1-3 time-frame.)

The obvious question for me is which character should do the time travelling? I'm betting it's not Wolverine--though a little prologue cameo with him slicing up sentinels wouldn't be out of the question--and while I think it should be an already established character (from FC) I can't see it being either Magneto or Professor-X. Mystique would be an interesting choice I think. For one thing it'd help connect the dots between what we saw of her in FC and the ice cold psychotic killer we saw in X1-3.

The only other choices would be either Beast or Havok...or possibly Cyclops if we assume they're father and son rather than brothers as in the comics...on the other hand, perhaps Havok really is Scott's brother and he's already been sent back in time...? Nah. Too convoluted.

Mystique is still my favourite choice.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 10:23 PM   #41
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm wondering if they're introduce Rachel Summers...she is a pretty important character from Days of Future Past. I also wonder if Ellen Page will have any interest in returning as Kitty Pryde or if they're recast. There are a ton of interesting questions about this project now. I'm guessing things will be tweaked and altered where necessary rather than them doing a straight up adaptation of Days...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 11:46 PM   #42
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^As I said I'm not sure it'd work unless the person travelling back is a future version of someone already close to the existing FC cast. Rachel Summers would be cool, but it'd require too much exposition and would probably necessitate (re)introducing Cyclops. Kitty wouldn't work because in the original story, she quantum leaped back into her own past self's body. The whole point being that the messenger was someone they already knew and..well...the movie version of Kitty won't be born for a few more decades.

Raven is probably the only one of the bunch who'd still be fighting fit 40-60 years in the future AND is already central to the plot of FC.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 11:51 PM   #43
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah that's why I said they'll probably alter and tweak the story to fit with the X-Men cinematic universe. It should be extremely interesting to see how they pull this off.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 12:12 AM   #44
Skywalker
Admiral

It also wouldn't surprise me if they ramp up Mystique's importance simply because of how high Jennifer Lawrence's star has risen since The Hunger Games.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 12:26 AM   #45
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I suspect they will surprise us all and the "future" we will see will be the 1980s!
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote