Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2012, 01:13 AM   #76
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: What's next for Batman...

My roommate just bought "Lego Batman 2," so that's what's next for Batman in this household.
Old July 31 2012, 04:35 AM   #77
Warped9
Admiral

Classic Batman! It's time we get to see him.
Old July 31 2012, 09:01 AM   #78
Eddie Roth
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
Maybe they're rally interested in doing a JLA movie, they could spin off whomever play Batman in that movie into a new series of Batman movies. That'd be something of the reverse of how Marvel Studios built up to the Avengers movie.
And that's I think what they're likely to do. But I'm just not sure if that's the best way to go. I personally felt that The Avengers would've fallen completely apart if it hadn't been for most of these characters' introductions in their own films. With some of the JLA characters being much more unknown to a general audience (any myself, frankly), how can you do them justice AND Batman AND Superman?

Besides, how much Batman could there even be in such an ensemble piece?

But the studio seems hellbent on replicating the Avengers success with their own brand, so this is what we'll get. I myself would like to see another fanciful Batman - not a campy one, mind you, but one that is both dark and comic-book big, allowing also for the somewhat supernatural elements. Sorta like Tim Burton's approach, but without the Burton craziness shtick. A gothic Gotham (gargoyles, I need gargoyles!), a noir-ish quality, Batman as detective, mystery and a great villain, etc. So many of the comic books have done that so perfectly: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, for example. There's gotta be a way to do that today, even now that the "near-real world Batman" by Nolan is all the rage.
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 02:24 PM   #79
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It could be interesting if WB weren't hung up on being tied to the Justice League feature.
Who says they're hung up on it? I've never seen a single quote from them to suggest that they're even planning one, never mind 'hung up on' it?
Old July 31 2012, 07:18 PM   #80
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Maybe they're rally interested in doing a JLA movie, they could spin off whomever play Batman in that movie into a new series of Batman movies. That'd be something of the reverse of how Marvel Studios built up to the Avengers movie.
And that's I think what they're likely to do. But I'm just not sure if that's the best way to go. I personally felt that The Avengers would've fallen completely apart if it hadn't been for most of these characters' introductions in their own films. With some of the JLA characters being much more unknown to a general audience (any myself, frankly), how can you do them justice AND Batman AND Superman?

Besides, how much Batman could there even be in such an ensemble piece?

But the studio seems hellbent on replicating the Avengers success with their own brand, so this is what we'll get. I myself would like to see another fanciful Batman - not a campy one, mind you, but one that is both dark and comic-book big, allowing also for the somewhat supernatural elements. Sorta like Tim Burton's approach, but without the Burton craziness shtick. A gothic Gotham (gargoyles, I need gargoyles!), a noir-ish quality, Batman as detective, mystery and a great villain, etc. So many of the comic books have done that so perfectly: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, for example. There's gotta be a way to do that today, even now that the "near-real world Batman" by Nolan is all the rage.

The think about the JLA characters unlike most of the Avengers is that actually the audiences DO know who most of them are (or at least have a passing familiarity and think they know them).

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman really don't NEED another introduction (though Superman is getting one and we just finished a fairly comprehensive interpretation of Batman's origins). The Flash and Aquaman are also on fairly solid ground in terms of recognition depite little deep understanding (Aquaman might need a movie just to address the popular ridicule...but a JLA movie could fix that first). Green Lantern (I was actually surprised at how few people know the character) is also getting a soft relaunch film. Martian Manhunter, who is in almost every version of the League, is usually introduced in a league related story anyway since he rarely has his own stories. An that's the core JLA 7.

Thus of the 7, only The Flash and Aquaman could probably use an intro...however I could also see WB deciding to wait and see how audiences react to them in a JLA movie before green lighting solo films.

They may also go the JL(U) route and add another woman...or gasp...a person of color (Hal...might not make it to the league if they do that). In which case we might get either Black Canary, Hawkgirl or Vixen (there we go, two birds with one stone ).
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:34 PM   #81
ClayinCA
Commodore

As far as including the origin, Denny O'Neil used to have this great way of including a small mention of it in a panel or two every so often; not enough so that you'd get tired of it, but enough to (a) give new readers a quick refresher and (b) remind readers that yeah, this is what happened, it's basically his raison d'etre but we're not going to dwell on it. Seems to me like the cinematic equivalent, whatever that might be, is the way to go.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 04:24 PM   #82
Warped9
Admiral

Bale has already stated he'd be willing under the right conditions. That right there offers up a possibility. If the demand is there and the right story presents itself then it could conceivably happen. In Hollywood "never" only counts until someone changes their mind.

I personally don't demand there be a followup to effectively make a quadrilogy (although assuming it was good it would make for a sick accomplishment to have four solid consecutive films in one franchise). I would like to see a Catwoman standalone or tie-in with Anne Hathaway. But if there's a solid story to be told then why the hell not? After all the comics are full of stories that end dramatically and somewhat definitively only to be followed up by a new story. Same with Batman in the DCAU features.

If there isn't a fourth film then we'll get a relaunch sooner. My concern then is what form it would take. If it's a lukewarm reboot like The Amazing Spider-Man then I could very well pass.
Old August 1 2012, 04:43 PM   #83
tighr
Commodore

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
They may also go the JL(U) route and add another woman...or gasp...a person of color (Hal...might not make it to the league if they do that).
Wouldn't they just have John Stewart? It would still be Green Lantern, just not Hal Jordan.
Old August 1 2012, 04:48 PM   #84
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post
They may also go the JL(U) route and add another woman...or gasp...a person of color (Hal...might not make it to the league if they do that).
Wouldn't they just have John Stewart? It would still be Green Lantern, just not Hal Jordan.
That was my point. The only thing that works against that idea though is if they do a soft reboot of the GL movie wich was unfrotunately about Hal. It would not make much sense to make another movie about Hal and then show a different GL in a JLA movie. They COULD do that, but I seriously doubt that they would do it.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:24 PM   #85
marksound
Fleet Captain

tighr wrote: View Post
Here's your new GL: Coby Bell, from Burn Notice.

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:31 PM   #86
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Pretty cool. But after the last movie did so poorly at the box office, there's no way that they'd entrust the franchise to a tv actor, unproven as a cinematic draw.
Old August 1 2012, 06:38 PM   #87
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote:
Bale has already stated he'd be willing under the right conditions.
But aren't those conditions unlikely given the statements of others?
Old August 1 2012, 06:42 PM   #88
tighr
Commodore

I could see them coming out with a new Green Lantern film, in the same cinematic universe as the first, with a new character in place of Hal Jordan (i.e., not Ryan Reynolds), instead of a complete reboot. Similar vein to XxX: State of the Union, swapping out Vin Diesel for Ice Cube.
Old August 1 2012, 08:25 PM   #89
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Given that that movie flopped and killed the franchise (a mooted return by Vin for xXx3 notwithstanding, that doesn't bode too well. Of course, since the original GL movie didn't exactly set the world on fire, recasting couldn't really make things too much worse.

Perhaps the Bourne Legacy might prove a better comparison?
Old August 1 2012, 08:37 PM   #90
Warped9
Admiral

I can now think of two franchises with three solid films to them: the Bourne trilogy and now Nolan's Batman trilogy. If the forthcoming The Bourne Legacy is good then it'll be one helluva quadrilogy.