RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 550
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 31 2012, 12:19 AM   #31
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Rape Jokes

Reverend wrote: View Post
. . . Indeed, anyone who's spent any time at all around soldiers (and I imagine doctors & nurses too) can probably attest that nothing is sacrosanct or "too serious to joke about."
Doctors in particular are well-known for their morbid sense of humor.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Like Blazing Saddles and the N word, it's about context. One way can be funny, another irredeemably offensive.
It's also about time and distance. For example, hardly anyone today would object to "hole in the head" jokes about John F. Kennedy -- and certainly not about Abraham Lincoln.

OTOH, jokes about recent tragedies can be funny precisely because of the social taboo factor. I'm sure a lot of us remember the jokes about the Ethiopian famine, the space shuttle Challenger explosion, Princess Diana's death, etc.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
. . . A woman in a desperate panic rings the police station and screams down the phone line: "HELP ME! HELP ME! I'm being REAPED!!!!" ...The policeman answering the call replies "I'm sorry ma'am, but don't you mean "raped"?" "Oh no" She says, "He's using a Scythe."
See, now I don't find that funny at all. Not because it's offensive, but because it's DUMB.

Last edited by scotpens; July 31 2012 at 12:38 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 02:44 AM   #32
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Nothing is ever off-limits in humor. Whether everyone thinks it's funny or not is another matter (and probably impossible, since everyone is different).
Old July 31 2012, 02:52 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Everyone one is not different.

There are probably only 10 sorts of sane people.

15 at the most.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 31 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 03:25 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
Nothing is ever off-limits in humor.
Well, that depends. Censorship is wrong, but self-discipline is an important part of creativity. Good comedy, like any good creativity, entails choosing the right thing to say, and knowing what not to say. Just saying anything and everything because you can is not being funny, it's just being indiscriminate and lazy. Offensive humor can have value, but only if it's judicious, if it's targeted and used when and where it serves a purpose.

So while it's true that nothing should be absolutely forbidden, that does not mean that everything should be spewed out indiscriminately without any regard for its appropriateness or impact. Censorship is wrong because it restricts freedom of choice -- but part of having freedom of choice is actually making choices, exercising judgment and responsibility.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 03:45 AM   #35
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Disruptor wrote: View Post
My advice to anyone offended by a rape joke is to just lie back and enjoy it.

That's in exceptionally bad taste, given that there are probably people reading this thread who feel very strongly about the subject and some who have experienced sexual assault. It's one thing to make a joke to a wide audience and happen to have someone whom the joke touches personally. It's another thing to come into a controversial situation and say something intentionally offensive.
Old July 31 2012, 07:02 AM   #36
Winged Victory
Captain

Wow, what a remarkably vulgar statement...

ETA:^Couldn't have said it better, Kestra.
Old July 31 2012, 07:18 AM   #37
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Logically that's how you psychologically depower a rape act if you can't physically.

If it's a question of power, control and domination, then the surest way to fight someone using that sort of moral compass, is to enjoy, or pretend to enjoy yourself which will extract the pleasure they are plaining to reap from the complete event.

Then of course there are several different reasons for rape, so it's not like short of a blinding and castration that their is any one sure single blanket defense against every motive and agenda.

If you really want to piss off a rapist, because I know it pisses me off during consensual sex, is to say these magic four words "Is it in yet?"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 01:53 PM   #38
Disruptor
Commodore

Kestra wrote: View Post

That's in exceptionally bad taste, given that there are probably people reading this thread who feel very strongly about the subject and some who have experienced sexual assault. It's one thing to make a joke to a wide audience and happen to have someone whom the joke touches personally. It's another thing to come into a controversial situation and say something intentionally offensive.
Exceptional? Really?

Here I thought I was mocking the sick statement some people have made about actual rape, by applying it to rape jokes as well.

I know from personal loss that suicide isn't funny, either. Would I still laugh at a suicide joke? Maybe. If someone wrote "Those who think suicide jokes aren't funny should kill themselves", I would not take them seriously.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 02:23 PM   #39
Rhaven
Captain

[QUOTE=Disruptor;6736181]

Disruptor wrote:
Exceptional? Really?
Yes, quite unfeeling.

Here I thought I was mocking the sick statement some people have made about actual rape, by applying it to rape jokes as well.
FAIL

I know from personal loss that suicide isn't funny, either. Would I still laugh at a suicide joke? Maybe. If someone wrote "Those who think suicide jokes aren't funny should kill themselves", I would not take them seriously.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Rape has one person at the mercy of another. There is no control for the one preyed upon. There is no choice for the victim. It's not funny, ever.
Old August 1 2012, 02:48 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^The problem here, I think, is that Disruptor was going for irony or satire -- saying the opposite of what he really believes in order to expose and ridicule it -- but a number of his listeners took it as a genuine sentiment. This is a perennial problem faced by satirists of all stripes. Perhaps the problem is that the satirist believes the sentiment is so obviously absurd or self-contradictory that no one could be expected to take it as a serious belief, but that proves overoptimistic, because there are people in real life who actually do hold such views in earnest. So the satirists get mistaken for endorsers of the views they're ridiculing.

(For instance, Macchiavelli was actually satirizing the amoral, manipulative practices that he's become a namesake for, Twain's anti-racist satire Huckleberry Finn has often been censored in the belief that it's racist, Stephen Colbert is often mistaken by conservatives for a sincere supporter when he's actually ridiculing the hell out of them, etc.)

And I have to disagree with the attitude that genuinely painful and tragic things should never be joked about. Humor can be a valuable defense mechanism, a way of coping with genuine pain. True, it can also be used as an assault, a means of hurting or victimizing people, and that's wrong. But the blame lies with the way the tool is used, not with the tool itself, the same as if someone used a surgical scalpel as a weapon rather than a healing tool. People can use humor to cope with things that they themselves or people they care about have been hurt by, to give it less power over them by ridiculing it. This is why Mel Brooks, who of course is Jewish, has spent much of his career making fun of Adolf Hitler. There's nothing funny about the evils Hitler inflicted, but mocking Hitler takes away his power to frighten us, exposes his ideology as the pathetic load of nonsense it actually was.

It's the same with other painful subjects. You see it after major tragedies like Princess Diana's death and the 9/11 attacks -- really tasteless jokes soon start to appear. In most cases it's not out of genuine cruelty, but as a coping mechanism, a way of taking something horrifying and painful and taking away its power over us.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 03:29 PM   #41
Myko
Commander

The thing that complicates it for me is that laughing isn't voluntary. If you make an offensive joke that's really funny, I'm going to laugh. So yes, rape jokes can be funny. That doesn't mean it's ok to tell rape jokes, I don't know. But they can definitely be funny.

Making jokes about something bad is a coping mechanism. I had a medical situation earlier this year which for me was very saddening and still is, and they way I helped get through it was to make jokes about it. People around me weren't sure if it was ok to laugh so it became interesting to observe their behaviour.
Old August 1 2012, 03:49 PM   #42
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I find rape jokes in extremely bad taste. My gfirlfriend was sexually assaulted by her ex, and I've had to hold her while she cries because it was a horrible horrible experience for all involved. All that comedians show to me by joking about rape is that they have no tact or self-control.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 04:25 PM   #43
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Exceptional? Really?

Eh, I got exactly what you were going for and even got a chuckle out of the line.

If we stopped telling jokes or having portrayals of anything that offended someone we would be repressed prisoners. The correct response to people offended by rape jokes (Not just an individual rape joke but the very concept) is a shrug. These people are thought police, whatever their intentions may be.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 04:48 PM   #44
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh, what a load of hyperbole. Being offended by a rape joke, and making that offense known is someone’s right, just as much as it is someone’s right to make the joke in the first place. There are no “thought police” involved (what a stupid, meaningless term that is), and being called out on making a tasteless and offensive joke, and even being asked not to make such a joke does not make one an “oppressed prisoner” any more than being expected to say please and thank you or to wear deodorant is oppressive; no one is oppressing you by expecting you to do those things, or by recognizing that you’re rude and stinky if you don’t.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:01 PM   #45
Use of Time
Commodore

You can't really compartmentalize a concept as "this can never be funny." The most important thing to me kind of harps on what Chris said. If you are going to go there, you had better know your audience.