Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 13 2012, 10:56 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: New "Star Wars" comic set between ANH and TESB

I haven't really read much set during that era yet, so I might be checking this one out.
Old July 13 2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Dream
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
So a Luke that barely knows how to hold a lightsaber, a Han that's still a bit more of a jerk than a hero, and a Leia that hasn't really fallen for Han yet because of her dedication to the Rebellion comes first and foremost.

Star Wars 101...
Yeah, that's a very interesting era of Star Wars. Too bad that outside of the Marvel comics, it really hasn't been covered much.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

It was covered in the Empire/Rebellion comics, there is a mini called River of Chaos, the Zahn books Allegiance and Choices of One, the Rebel Force books http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Force , i think Galactic Battlegrounds covers some of it, Vader's Quest is a comic that fits the bill and there were the classic Star Wars stories.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I'd read this if I thought it was going to be good, but SW books and comics invariably disappoint me. This is a time period of SW that interests me though, (I own Vader's Quest and read Zahn's Allegiance and I'm old enough to remember the Marvel comics) and Hunter's enthusiasm and attitude is encouraging. Still...I'll probably give it a miss.
Old July 31 2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i'll give the first issue a go, though i really am getting tired of Star Wars.
Old August 1 2012, 01:47 AM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'd read this if I thought it was going to be good, but SW books and comics invariably disappoint me. This is a time period of SW that interests me though, (I own Vader's Quest and read Zahn's Allegiance and I'm old enough to remember the Marvel comics) and Hunter's enthusiasm and attitude is encouraging. Still...I'll probably give it a miss.
It sucks that you feel that way. I recommend the graphic novel Darth Vader and the Lost Command. There's also an ongoing limited series, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison that I think is pretty good as well. Both of these stories take place between ROTS and ANH. Actually the Agent of the Empire and the Dark Times series, which also take place between ROTS and ANH, are both good too.

I also recommend the comic series Knights of the Old Republic. Though it's set thousands of years before the films I think it captures the spirit of the original films pretty well, though I don't think any of the villains are as compelling as Palpatine or Vader, which of course is a tall order.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 02:06 AM   #22
Dream
Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i'll give the first issue a go, though i really am getting tired of Star Wars.
Tired of Star Wars? Never!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 02:27 AM   #23
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I'm going to take a wait and see approach with this title. For the first time in years, I've stopped buying Dark Horse's regular Star Wars comics. It just hasn't been interesting me although I think the current Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison mini-series is excellent.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
It sucks that you feel that way. I recommend the graphic novel Darth Vader and the Lost Command. There's also an ongoing limited series, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison that I think is pretty good as well. Both of these stories take place between ROTS and ANH. Actually the Agent of the Empire and the Dark Times series, which also take place between ROTS and ANH, are both good too.

I also recommend the comic series Knights of the Old Republic. Though it's set thousands of years before the films I think it captures the spirit of the original films pretty well, though I don't think any of the villains are as compelling as Palpatine or Vader, which of course is a tall order.
Thanks for the recommmendations. I might give them a look if I see them.
Old August 1 2012, 07:17 PM   #25
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I'm going to take a wait and see approach with this title. For the first time in years, I've stopped buying Dark Horse's regular Star Wars comics. It just hasn't been interesting me although I think the current Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison mini-series is excellent.
Have you read Blood Ties or DOTJ?
Old August 2 2012, 12:34 AM   #26
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

The OT era and the Old Republic era are the only portions of the franchise that have really clicked with me from what I've checked out, aside from the Thrawn books and a few other gems. So, this is really good news.
Old August 2 2012, 02:18 AM   #27
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I've been going through all the EU chronologically for about 5 years. I've been stuck in the ever expanding list of Clone Wars era material for about half that time. I'm pretty tired of that era and am looking very forward to the Dark Times era. This comic makes me even more excited to get to ANH and beyond.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 09:32 AM   #28
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

The Han Solo Trilogy by Crispin is great.
Old August 25 2012, 03:21 AM   #29
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Brian Wood talks about the new series.
Old August 26 2012, 05:21 AM   #30
indianatrekker26
Captain

i'm willing to give the first issue a try, but this era has been covered to death in the comics. Marvel's Star wars series, the newspaper strips, River of Chaos, Empire/Rebellion, and 2 or 3 other things, have really covered this era thoroughly.
this'll be good for those newer/younger fans out there, i'm mostly curious to read this first issue, to see if Brian Wood can bring everything new to the table for this era.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote