RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 782
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2012, 08:56 AM   #826
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

There seems to be some confusion as to the nature of this third film, which means that an update is in order. According to The One Ring.Net, Jackson and Co. are, in effect, doing what they did back when New Line Cinema agreed to finance the LotR films: they will be expanding the story that they were originally planning to tell in 2 films and instead telling it in 3. The only difference here is that they have already filmed their originally planned 2 films and will therefore be crafting a third film from scratch, reworking what they have already shot so that it can work in conjunction with the new third film.

BTW, said third film will be the only one of Jackson and Co.'s Tolkien-based films not to be released in December, as it is scheduled to premiere in the summer of 2014.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 09:14 AM   #827
Vassa
Commander

Emh wrote: View Post
I agree filming it in its entirety is too much, but there are definitely some interesting stories to be told, particularly Feanor.

I would very much like to see the Fall of Gondolin on screen.

The Battle of Angmar would also be sweet.
Vassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 09:49 AM   #828
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
There seems to be some confusion as to the nature of this third film, which means that an update is in order. According to The One Ring.Net, Jackson and Co. are, in effect, doing what they did back when New Line Cinema agreed to finance the LotR films: they will be expanding the story that they were originally planning to tell in 2 films and instead telling it in 3. The only difference here is that they have already filmed their originally planned 2 films and will therefore be crafting a third film from scratch, reworking what they have already shot so that it can work in conjunction with the new third film.

BTW, said third film will be the only one of Jackson and Co.'s Tolkien-based films not to be released in December, as it is scheduled to premiere in the summer of 2014.
That's an intersting development. Sounds like they're going more towards a bridging film (like the second film was originally envisioned as) and that's a good thing. I'm surprised by the summer 2014 release date but it's good that we don't have to wait as long

Vassa wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I agree filming it in its entirety is too much, but there are definitely some interesting stories to be told, particularly Feanor.
I would very much like to see the Fall of Gondolin on screen.

The Battle of Angmar would also be sweet.
I definitely would love to see both of those as well.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:24 AM   #829
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ There is no 'bridging film'. The new film will be a direct continuation of and expansion from what has already been written and shot. IOW, what was originally a single story that was set to be told across two films will now be told across three instead.

Old July 31 2012, 10:48 AM   #830
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Though this isn't the thread for it I wanted to comment on this:
(Dark Knight Rises, which I do actually like more than any other of these follow-up movies I've mentioned, but event hat feels bloated and self indulgent)
I agree with it. Nolan "Nolanized" what in essence was the simplest story of three films, he had to make it seem as complex as he could just so it fit.
Old July 31 2012, 11:24 AM   #831
Lonemagpie
Writer

OK, LOTR I could understand - it's huge, split into three volumes, etc. But, the Hobbit? Fuck off - it's not that long or deep that it would take three long movies to do. 90 minutes should have covered it nicely. Really, this is just taking the piss to stretch out the lifespan of the cash-cow, isn't it?

What's next, turning The Dambusters (which PJ is/was supposedly remaking) into a six-movie epic that lasts longer than the actual war...?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 12:57 PM   #832
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
What's next, turning The Dambusters (which PJ is/was supposedly remaking) into a six-movie epic that lasts longer than the actual war...?
Possibly a Dickens novel (like, David Copperfield, or Bleak House) into a trilogy. (No proof, just speculation, and with Dickens' plots it would work better)
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 01:26 PM   #833
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

OK, LOTR I could understand - it's huge, split into three volumes, etc. But, the Hobbit? Fuck off - it's not that long or deep that it would take three long movies to do. 90 minutes should have covered it nicely. Really, this is just taking the piss to stretch out the lifespan of the cash-cow, isn't it?
The idea that this is being done for monetary reasons doesn't hold water because Peter, Fran, and Philippa came up with the idea of doing a third movie, not the studios.

Old July 31 2012, 01:45 PM   #834
propita
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Putting PJ through the geek translation matrix:

"Time to show Lucas how to make a frakking prequel trilogy!"
That may be possible!

At the same time, LotR had the nine of the Fellowship, plus MANY other characters, yet each was visually fairly distinctive. Here, there's 13 fairly visually-similar characters. I mean, if they're all (or mostly) short, male, with beards, time (film time) is going to be needed to have 13 fully established and distinguishable characters.

And many non-Tolkien fans won't get references to "past history" without some help. Some history of the dwarves and the King Under the Mountain--why they're all going there in the first place--why there's five armies fighting at the end, who Dale is, etc. Explanations to the casual viewer so things make sense to them. And this is going to take screen time. Sometimes a chapter can take two minutes on film; sometimes a half hour. It adds up.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 03:25 PM   #835
Lonemagpie
Writer

The idea that this is being done for monetary reasons doesn't hold water because Peter, Fran, and Philippa came up with the idea of doing a third movie, not the studios.
Yeah, cos writers and directors do it all for free?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 03:34 PM   #836
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I was initially skeptical of a two-part split, but the proposed dividing line made a lot of sense. The book is actually packed full of many scenes, so I understood that those take a longer time to play out on the screen. Some appendix material explaining Gandalf's absence makes a lot of sense too and would be fun to see (once they got Christopher Lee, I figured it could be exciting).

Three concerns me because the split might be less logical and because the appendix material might start to overshadow Bilbo. I'm cautiously optimistic, but you have to recognize that the side story never overlaps with the main story. As much as he wants to tie it in with the Lord of the Rings, it also needs to stand as its own story. So my position right now is to wait and see what direction this takes.
Old July 31 2012, 03:54 PM   #837
Gojira
Commodore

Yeah, cos writers and directors do it all for free?
I really don't see PJ being motivated by cash. He really does have a passion for these stories and wants to tell them. His financial successes have given him the opportunity to do these movie but I don't think he is motivated by greed.
Old July 31 2012, 04:18 PM   #838
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
who Dale is
Yes, I can see that some fans are going to need help.
Old July 31 2012, 05:01 PM   #839
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm no Tolkien fanatic, but I really enjoyed LOTR and was looking forward to revisiting that world for one extra, fun little adventure.

But I can't say I really want to sit through another LOTR. And that's basically what this is starting to sound like. To justify three movies they're probably going to make things much more serious and important, with FAR more characters and storylines than we really need to see, and MUCH more ominous forshadowing of later events than we really need.

I realize Jackson is in love with this world, but come on. Not every story that happens in it needs to be a humongous epic.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 05:25 PM   #840
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My fear is that The Hobbit is going to turn into a B-plot its own movie.
I think this move -- to move to a trilogy -- could prevent that.

If you think about the chronology of events in The Hobbit and where the "split" that ended the first film was rumored to take place (at the barrels sequence), then the second film would have been top-heavy with battle sequences -- in addition to the Battle of Five Armies, there also would have been the Dol Guldur business. The story of the Dwarves would have been crowded in its own movie.

Splitting all the LOTR background material into a third film would prevent that. Material leading to the White Council's attack on Dol Guldur can be seeded in the first two films (which would adapt The Hobbit), and then, in the third film, Bilbo asks Gandalf on the way home from Lonely Mountain, "So where were you during all that time?" and Gandalf tells the tale of what's basically the opening move in the War of the Ring. This way the latter half of The Hobbit gets the room it needs to breathe, as does the White Council material, without it all stepping on each other.

If that's what Jackson does, then they've basically gone back to the original plan -- a Hobbit adaptation and a Lord of the Rings prequel/bridge film. And I'd suggest that the best possible names for this bridge movie would be either The Return of the Shadow or The White Council, though I like the former better. And I don't think this would require a lot of filming. It would really amount to re-editing the films and doing pick-ups where the narrative goes a little thin because they were trying to compress so much into the second film.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote