RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 467
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 31 2012, 05:14 AM   #4576
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

captrek wrote: View Post
A fun experiment. I play the Blu Ray on my home theater while at the same time stream the show from Netflix on my tablet. It can get out of sync at the commercial breaks, which may be timed differently between the two versions, but aside from that it looks and sounds as if the tablet is playing a degraded version of the same signal as the home theater.
Ive played both together for comparisons....
Old July 31 2012, 10:37 AM   #4577
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Netflix has commercial breaks?
Old July 31 2012, 11:08 AM   #4578
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

2009-2010

Michael Okuda: On a very nuts and bolts level, first we were brought in to look at that early test, frankly, what they were thinking of doing was taking the original standard definition video, which at the time, of course, was absolute state of the art, and enlarging it and using various animation techniques to make it look as good as possible. And it looked…pretty good. But we said, you know, 'If you do this, people are going to go, "Geez. It doesn't look that much different from my DVD."' And so the fact that they stepped up to the plate to say, "Hey, let's actually take the effort to rescan all the films.
Michael Okuda: On a very nuts and bolts level, first we were brought in to look at that early test, frankly, what they were thinking of doing was taking the original standard definition video, which at the time, of course, was absolute state of the art, and enlarging it and using various animation techniques to make it look as good as possible. And it looked…pretty good. But we said, you know, 'If you do this, people are going to go, "Geez. It doesn't look that much different from my DVD."' And so the fact that they stepped up to the plate to say, "Hey, let's actually take the effort to rescan all the films.
http://m.nbcchicago.com/nbcchicago/p...tguid=xP4Oh1yf

Makes you wonder when they would start on DS9-R...
Old July 31 2012, 11:41 AM   #4579
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

BriGuy wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...lacement/17303

CBS Home Video has just issued a statement regarding the audio issues some consumers reported after watching their season 1 Blu-ray set:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Excellent. I just sent an email.

This information merits being highlighted - front-paged, maybe even its own thread so noone misses it.

Having the two so-called "official" threads here gets confusing.
Cool just saw this and emailed them! Really great they are moving so fast on fixing this.
Old July 31 2012, 07:45 PM   #4580
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Netflix has commercial breaks?
It has the fade-ins and outs where a commercial break would be, with a couple seconds of black in between.
Old July 31 2012, 08:11 PM   #4581
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Regarding European disc replacements - I confirmed with CBS today that they are in the midst of putting a programme together for this and instructions for international customers will be announced as soon as it is finalised.

Wonderful to see such a great response after only 6 days of the blu-ray being on shelves!

In the meantime... our Blu-Ray screencaps continue, with some stunning images from the (not-so-stunning-episode) 'Code of Honor':
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=6

The Observations article will follow with our partners at Ex Astris Scientia very soon!
Old July 31 2012, 08:31 PM   #4582
bullethead
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
In the meantime... our Blu-Ray screencaps continue, with some stunning images from the (not-so-stunning-episode) 'Code of Honor':
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=6

The Observations article will follow with our partners at Ex Astris Scientia very soon!
I'm incredibly amused by the fact that the torpedoes still detonate in low orbit rather than in the actual atmosphere.
Old July 31 2012, 08:44 PM   #4583
M
Vice Admiral

Here's the brief sequence I was talking about in the other thread. It looks like this was simply upscaled from SD, doesn't it? It's even more jarring in motion, actually.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old July 31 2012, 09:30 PM   #4584
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Here's the brief sequence I was talking about in the other thread. It looks like this was simply upscaled from SD, doesn't it? It's even more jarring in motion, actually.

Definitely not upscaled - there's so much more detail in the shot compared to the SD version. But there are certainly some issues with that particular shot, perhaps one of the resident videophiles here can shed some light on it.
Old July 31 2012, 11:05 PM   #4585
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Good catch! I can now see what you were talking about... those are scaling artifacts. For some reason the original shot (after being scanned from film) ended up with a vertical resolution of 540p, and they did a simple "Nearest Neighbor" enlargement to 1080p.

You can verify this by taking the TrekCore image into Photoshop and reducing the vertical resolution by half to 540 (uncheck "Constrain Proportions"). The image will now be squashed, but the "jaggies" will be gone. Now scale it back up to 1080 using "Nearest Neighbor"-- it will look the same as it did before.
Old August 1 2012, 02:05 AM   #4586
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Anyone else notice the flickering/failing fluorescent light inside the transporter room wall panel? Never noticed it before but it's very obvious in pretty much every scene that takes place in the transporter room where the panel is seen. Obviously the ballast to the fixture was going out during the filming of the season and no one could take the 20-minutes to replace it.
Old August 1 2012, 08:54 AM   #4587
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Good catch! I can now see what you were talking about... those are scaling artifacts. For some reason the original shot (after being scanned from film) ended up with a vertical resolution of 540p, and they did a simple "Nearest Neighbor" enlargement to 1080p.

You can verify this by taking the TrekCore image into Photoshop and reducing the vertical resolution by half to 540 (uncheck "Constrain Proportions"). The image will now be squashed, but the "jaggies" will be gone. Now scale it back up to 1080 using "Nearest Neighbor"-- it will look the same as it did before.
I've wondered something similar since seeing that shot. It's kind of like they've taken one 1080i interlaced field which would be 1920 x 540 and then stretched it out to fill the whole frame.

In "The Battle" when Wesley is talking to Dr Crusher and Troi there's a really obvious interlaced shot lasting for several seconds at 32:57 and then a pixelated one at 33:02.

I've noticed interlaced and pixelated frames here and there in a number of episodes, they're difficult to spot but going frame by frame you can see them. I don't understand why they're there as the blu-rays should have been produced end to end in progressive scan. I wonder if it's some sort of bit stream flag issue.
Old August 1 2012, 11:20 AM   #4588
raffie
Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Definitely not upscaled - there's so much more detail in the shot compared to the SD version. But there are certainly some issues with that particular shot, perhaps one of the resident videophiles here can shed some light on it.
This is an interlacing issue, the fields (odd lines / even lines) were switched. But then I would assume the blu-ray wouldn't contain interlaced video but rather progressive, so for some reason this interlaced piece of video was used which would also produce a result like this if your output was going to be progressive.
Old August 1 2012, 03:59 PM   #4589
Mutai Sho-Rin

I think it is time to retire this well used thread since there are two new ones to play with in the sticky stack. Farewell old thread; you have served admirably.