New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 30 2012, 09:08 PM   #271
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Well, I got the process started and it's coming August 10th and then I should have them 5 business days after that. I asked why they didn't just recall the entire set, and the reason they gave is one I'm not necessarily agreeing with. It's because half the set was unaffected, but considering new sets have to be released for people to buy them later (Christmas sales and what have you), wouldn't it just be easier to recall the entire thing and just get a new copy?
Well I imagine most of the current stock sent to stores is already sold out anyway, so it's probably easier to focus on the next batch.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:10 PM   #272
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
digger wrote: View Post
Can someone please go into detail as to what the audio issue is and on what episodes it can be found? I only watched a couple of scenes in "Encounter At Farpoint" so far but haven't noticed any audio problems.
“Encounter at Farpoint” has the dialogue unbalanced in the center and front right channels. The left channel is correct (no dialogue).

The other episodes, “Hide and Q”, “Haven”, “The Big Goodbye” and “Datalore” on disc 3... and “11001001″ and “Too Short a Season” on disc 4 have the dialogue spread equally across the entire front soundstage (L, C, R) and thus a problem is hard to perceive unless you walk up to the speaker(s) and notice that dialogue is present.

The dialogue is loud and clear in the left and right channels in the aforementioned episodes. The rest of the season's episodes have proper 7.1 mixes (i.e. dialogue in center channel only).

The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
Last week I compared watching the characters in Haven to the old cylons on the classic Battlestar Galactica. I was waiting for the "By Your Command" line somewhere.
Old July 30 2012, 09:32 PM   #273
LastRideOut
Ensign

My replacements are being sent out after the 10th of August. Coolio! That was a fast response on the part of CBS and company.
LastRideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 10:43 PM   #274
Paranoid Android
Commander

Is this disc replacement program just for the US right now or can Canadian's do this too?
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 10:44 PM   #275
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm kinda surprised the CBS team didn't fix that one exterior shot of the Observation Lounge in Lonely Among Us, where we see part of the stage above it.

It's only a very quick glance, but it still seems like one of those things they would want to correct anyway.
Old July 30 2012, 11:28 PM   #276
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm kinda surprised the CBS team didn't fix that one exterior shot of the Observation Lounge in Lonely Among Us, where we see part of the stage above it.

It's only a very quick glance, but it still seems like one of those things they would want to correct anyway.
Ha! Didn't see that because I've been watching the show in 1.50:1 format on my projector (cropped to action safe on the top and bottom). Pretty sure they're expecting most HDTV's to have overscan turned on by default and anomalies like these will go mostly unnoticed. Here it is, courtesy of TrekCore:

Full res: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4...ongushd146.jpg

Looks like it was present on the DVD too (makes sense, as it's roughly the same TV Transmitted Area):

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...lyamong062.jpg
Old July 31 2012, 12:35 AM   #277
Snaploud
Admiral

Will there be a way to tell the difference between the old sets and the updated sets (assuming we were to purchase the set sometime in the future)?
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 12:55 AM   #278
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well if you watch an episode and the sound is crappy, you'll know which one you have.
Old July 31 2012, 01:13 AM   #279
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Will there be a way to tell the difference between the old sets and the updated sets (assuming we were to purchase the set sometime in the future)?
davejames wrote: View Post
Well if you watch an episode and the sound is crappy, you'll know which one you have.
When you buy the set, put Haven in first. You'll know whether you have a bad set or not.
Old July 31 2012, 01:20 AM   #280
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Can someone explain why when they remastered the pictures come out so dark and murky? I love to collect screencaps and I've had to mess with the levels just to see many of those out now. This was not a problem on the old DVD resolution caps.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 09:39 AM   #281
throwback
Captain

For myself, I find it interesting that it's evident that in that one shot from Lonely Among Us that the set didn't have the windows. I suppose it was to prevent the production equipment being reflected in the windows. I feel from this one shot, and the infamous cardboard on the back walls of the bridge, that the cinematographers hadn't found their groove in the first season. I like that the exterior walls of the set are now gray, not that ugly green.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:30 AM   #282
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^The transparent aluminum is just really, really clean.

But it's obvious even in later seasons that there is nothing in the window frames. Y'just gotta go with it.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:39 AM   #283
Chris2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Can someone explain why when they remastered the pictures come out so dark and murky? I love to collect screencaps and I've had to mess with the levels just to see many of those out now. This was not a problem on the old DVD resolution caps.
Because, with the remastered, they are using newer technology to transfer the shots from the film... the blu-ray is how they should've looked back then, but the technology didn't allow the quality to be captured... since it was analog and not digital...
Old July 31 2012, 12:11 PM   #284
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Chris2005 wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Because, with the remastered, they are using newer technology to transfer the shots from the film... the blu-ray is how they should've looked back then, but the technology didn't allow the quality to be captured... since it was analog and not digital...
They did post-production on video tape, that is why it always looked so poor.
Old July 31 2012, 04:52 PM   #285
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
One thing they might do to make the new set noticeable is change the UPC or, like was done with Saving Private Ryan, which also had an audio issue on bluray, change the color of the UPC label: http://www.slashfilm.com/paramount-r...blu-ray-discs/

The studio could also ask retailers to pull the original sets from shelves in favor of corrected replacements.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote