Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2012, 09:02 PM   #796
Gojira
Commodore

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My fear is that The Hobbit is going to turn into a B-plot its own movie.
That wouldn't be a bad thing - if it is the bones they hang the rest around, that would suit me.

Much as I like it, The Hobbit IS a kids book and rather 'fluffy'. I want it to be turned into a fully grown prequel to LOTR.
I have never read the book but had heard that it was for kids so I also hope Peter makes it into a more adult story and prequel to LOTR.
Old July 30 2012, 09:18 PM   #797
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Gojira wrote: View Post
I have never read the book but had heard that it was for kids so I also hope Peter makes it into a more adult story and prequel to LOTR.
It is for kids. That's what the book is. That's what makes it charming and that's what makes it memorable. Trying to turn it into a "more adult story" may be possible I guess, but it betrays a completely tone deaf approach to the material.
Old July 30 2012, 09:20 PM   #798
Gojira
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
It is for kids. That's what the book is. That's what makes it charming and that's what makes it memorable. Trying to turn it into a "more adult story" may be possible I guess, but it betrays a completely tone deaf approach to the material.
I think a balanced approach to the material could work. LOTR was dark and serious but you can do more adult and still be lighthearted and even whimsical.
Old July 30 2012, 09:24 PM   #799
Skywalker
Admiral

So they're actually going to stretch the story of The Hobbit across three movies? I dunno, I thought two might have already been pushing it. But there's no rule saying that these movies have to be three hours (or more) long like the LOTR films were. Still, if they were going to do a third movie, I thought they'd do the bridge film instead.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:31 PM   #800
Gojira
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So they're actually going to stretch the story of The Hobbit across three movies? I dunno, I thought two might have already been pushing it. But there's no rule saying that these movies have to be three hours (or more) long like the LOTR films were. Still, if they were going to do a third movie, I thought they'd do the bridge film instead.
They are doing the Hobbit and mix it in with material found in the LOTR appendices.
Old July 30 2012, 09:39 PM   #801
Skywalker
Admiral

That's still stretching the story out over a third movie. My worry is that they'll lose the core story in all this new material. I mean, what else is there in the Appendices that could apply to The Hobbit? They've already added in material about the White Council taking on the Necromancer at Dol Guldur.
Old July 30 2012, 09:50 PM   #802
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

They should have gone for my idea and brought Viggo back to do Aragorn's undercover time fighting for Rohan and Gondor!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:53 PM   #803
Gojira
Commodore

Klaus wrote: View Post
They should have gone for my idea and brought Viggo back to do Aragorn's undercover time fighting for Rohan and Gondor!
That would be nice, I would like to see that!
Old July 30 2012, 09:53 PM   #804
Skywalker
Admiral

That's what I would have liked to have seen, too. They could also include his first meeting Arwen, becoming friends with Gandalf, and hunting down Gollum.

Though I think Viggo is probably too old to play the role at this point, especially Aragorn in his younger days.
Old July 30 2012, 09:55 PM   #805
Gojira
Commodore

That's what I would have liked to have seen, too. They could also include his first meeting Arwen, becoming friends with Gandalf, and hunting down Gollum.

Though I think Viggo is probably too old to play the role at this point, especially Aragorn in his younger days.
The things they can do with make-up and motion capture would make me think that they could make Viggo look younger.
Old July 30 2012, 09:59 PM   #806
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I mean, what else is there in the Appendices that could apply to The Hobbit? They've already added in material about the White Council taking on the Necromancer at Dol Guldur.
If I'm not mistaken, the only relevant material comes from Appendix B, aka "The Tale of Years". It's a short timeline of events during the Second, Third and Fourth Age of Middle Earth. You can find it here and judge by yourself.

There's some additional material in the short story "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", but that's in the Silmarillion and as far as I know, NewLine doesn't hold the rights to it.
Old July 30 2012, 10:01 PM   #807
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

MarkMonitor, the internet brand protection company that handles the domain names for the Saul Zaentz Company in general and the Hobbit movies in particular, has made domain registrations in the last few days that could reveal potential titles for the third film (or the new second film I guess): The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug or The Hobbit: Riddles in the Dark.
Old July 30 2012, 10:16 PM   #808
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Riddles in the Dark better be in the first film.
Old July 30 2012, 10:22 PM   #809
davejames
Vice Admiral

Man, feels like King Kong all over again. You've got this cool, simple, and effective story, and Jackson is going to stretch it out into something MUCH longer and more bloated than it really needs to be.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 10:24 PM   #810
Gojira
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Man, feels like King Kong all over again. You've got this cool, simple, and effective story, and Jackson is going to stretch it out into something MUCH longer and more bloated than it really needs to be.
Although I do like the idea of 3 movies having him do what he did in Kong is a fear of mine.