New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 30 2012, 03:01 PM   #256
SillyTilly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Finished watching the episodes now and I have really enjoyed the rewatch of the season. The season might not be as good as the later seasons but I still think it is enjoyable and does have quite a few fantastic episodes. Watching the extras later tonight
SillyTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:35 PM   #257
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a statement Bernd (EAS) received from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution regarding the sound issues of the recent TNG season 1 Blu-ray release:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:46 PM   #258
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Thanks for the update. I just sent them an email asking for the replacement disks.
Old July 30 2012, 07:07 PM   #259
Captrek
Rear Admiral

It sounds like we should have replacement discs in hand by the time episode-a-week gets to the affected episodes. How convenient.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:51 PM   #260
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Be aware, if you call they will ask for a number on the back of the discs. They are so small they are impossible to make out.

Girl finally got frustrated and sent me the replacement anyway and said the instructions on what to do with the original discs would be included.
Old July 30 2012, 08:16 PM   #261
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Called, gave them the info, easy as pie... discs on their way after August 10th. Thank you, CBS Home Video!
Old July 30 2012, 08:18 PM   #262
Sho
Fleet Captain

Hoping for info for us Germans ...
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:19 PM   #263
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Called, gave them the info, easy as pie... discs on their way after August 10th. Thank you, CBS Home Video!
They told me five days on mine. I wonder why the difference?
Old July 30 2012, 08:19 PM   #264
digger
Lieutenant Commander

Can someone please go into detail as to what the audio issue is and on what episodes it can be found? I only watched a couple of scenes in "Encounter At Farpoint" so far but haven't noticed any audio problems.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:46 PM   #265
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
Hoping for info for us Germans ...
And those of us in the UK.
Old July 30 2012, 08:47 PM   #266
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
They probably just left out the August 10th detail. The person I talked to told me the discs would be mailed out after then and would take up to 5 business days to arrive in the mail.
Old July 30 2012, 08:57 PM   #267
NewHorizon
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
They probably just left out the August 10th detail. The person I talked to told me the discs would be mailed out after then and would take up to 5 business days to arrive in the mail.
Do you have to return your current discs first, or after you get the new ones?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:59 PM   #268
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Well, I got the process started and it's coming August 10th and then I should have them 5 business days after that. I asked why they didn't just recall the entire set, and the reason they gave is one I'm not necessarily agreeing with. It's because half the set was unaffected, but considering new sets have to be released for people to buy them later (Christmas sales and what have you), wouldn't it just be easier to recall the entire thing and just get a new copy?
Old July 30 2012, 09:04 PM   #269
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

digger wrote: View Post
Can someone please go into detail as to what the audio issue is and on what episodes it can be found? I only watched a couple of scenes in "Encounter At Farpoint" so far but haven't noticed any audio problems.
“Encounter at Farpoint” has the dialogue unbalanced in the center and front right channels. The left channel is correct (no dialogue).

The other episodes, “Hide and Q”, “Haven”, “The Big Goodbye” and “Datalore” on disc 3... and “11001001″ and “Too Short a Season” on disc 4 have the dialogue spread equally across the entire front soundstage (L, C, R) and thus a problem is hard to perceive unless you walk up to the speaker(s) and notice that dialogue is present.

The dialogue is loud and clear in the left and right channels in the aforementioned episodes. The rest of the season's episodes have proper 7.1 mixes (i.e. dialogue in center channel only).

The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
Old July 30 2012, 09:05 PM   #270
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

NewHorizon wrote: View Post

Do you have to return your current discs first, or after you get the new ones?
No return necessary AFAIK.