Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 29 2012, 10:16 PM   #4531
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

BriGuy wrote: View Post
I've been watching the episodes in order and had not come across any audio issues until Haven, which I just finished.

There is definitely a problem. The audio is "hollow" or "tinny," as has been described.

There were times I was thinking it was getting better, or that I was getting used to it. But after coming into Haven from the previous episode, Hide & Q, it was quite apparent. And it was also very apparent during the holodek scene.
I was in stereo at the time, but Haven sounded fine. It was the earlier eps and usually the Captain's Log that sounded like it was recorded in a bucket.
Old July 29 2012, 10:18 PM   #4532
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Anyone know how or where we can go to send emails to notify CBS that we are having problems with our sets, and to request information when they determine what will be offered for customers?

I went by the CBS Home Entertainment website, but when I brought up the Contact page, it was blank, in both Firefox and IE. Not sure if that was the right place to go, but it didn't work anyway.

I'll be very interested in getting my set replaced.

I can't believe they put so much time and effort into such a high-profile release, only to botch it like this.
Old July 29 2012, 10:19 PM   #4533
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I've been watching the episodes in order and had not come across any audio issues until Haven, which I just finished.

There is definitely a problem. The audio is "hollow" or "tinny," as has been described.

There were times I was thinking it was getting better, or that I was getting used to it. But after coming into Haven from the previous episode, Hide & Q, it was quite apparent. And it was also very apparent during the holodek scene.
I was in stereo at the time, but Haven sounded fine. It was the earlier eps and usually the Captain's Log that sounded like it was recorded in a bucket.
I only had one choice of audio in English. For me, the earlier episodes all sounded fine; Haven was the first one where I immediately noticed a problem.

I'd seen the mentions of audio issues here, but honestly had not been listening or looking for problems. I've been watching just to enjoy the episodes.

Last edited by BriGuy; July 29 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old July 29 2012, 10:54 PM   #4534
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

phil_g wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The plot thickens. Here's the list I've compiled of where dialogue can be heard in the mix (please correct me if I've made a mistake):

FL = front left
C = center
FR = front right

"Encounter at Farpoint" - C, FR
"The Naked Now" - C
"Code of Honor" - C
"The Last Outpost" - C
"Where No One Has Gone Before" - C
"Lonely Among Us" - C
"Justice" - C
"The Battle" - C
"Hide and Q" - FL, C, FR
"Haven" - FL, C, FR
"The Big Goodbye" - FL, C, FR
"Datalore" - FL, C, FR
"Angel One" - C
"11001001" - FL, C, FR
"Too Short a Season" - FL, C, FR
"When the Bough Breaks" - C
"Home Soil" - C
"Coming of Age" - C
"Heart of Glory" - C
"The Arsenal of Freedom" - C
"Symbiosis" - C
"Skin of Evil" - C
"We'll Always Have Paris" - C
"Conspiracy" - C
"The Neutral Zone" - C

I'll just note that I didn't bother putting my ear next to any of the rear channels to check. The only real troublesome one is the pilot because it is unbalanced and because it differs from the Next Level sampler... but the others in the middle there are strange anomalies as well.

Here's a proof for that.
A Screenshot of the Waveforms from S01E15 "11001001".
The Center channel is duplicated in Left Front and Right Front.
So the audio is parallelized and sounds kind of metallic with a slight reverb.

Thanks for that. With this everyone can now plainly see how the dialogue was incorrectly added to the (already existing) left and right channels... they should really look more like the surround channels (LS & RS).

Anyone know how or where we can go to send emails to notify CBS that we are having problems with our sets, and to request information when they determine what will be offered for customers?

I went by the CBS Home Entertainment website, but when I brought up the Contact page, it was blank, in both Firefox and IE. Not sure if that was the right place to go, but it didn't work anyway.

I can't believe they put so much time and effort into such a high-profile release, only to botch it like this.
Just sit tight. CBS is aware of the problems... and they'll be sending out info soon (perhaps as early as tomorrow) on what kind of replacement program will be offered and how to take part. You can keep checking here, thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com for any updates.
Old July 29 2012, 10:56 PM   #4535
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Per the documentary on disc one, they found the missing 13 seconds from Sins of the Father, and it will be properly restored in the Season Three set.
Old July 29 2012, 10:56 PM   #4536
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

phil_g wrote: View Post
The plot thickens. Here's the list I've compiled of where dialogue can be heard in the mix (please correct me if I've made a mistake):

FL = front left
C = center
FR = front right

"Encounter at Farpoint" - C, FR
"The Naked Now" - C
"Code of Honor" - C
"The Last Outpost" - C
"Where No One Has Gone Before" - C
"Lonely Among Us" - C
"Justice" - C
"The Battle" - C
"Hide and Q" - FL, C, FR
"Haven" - FL, C, FR
"The Big Goodbye" - FL, C, FR
"Datalore" - FL, C, FR
"Angel One" - C
"11001001" - FL, C, FR
"Too Short a Season" - FL, C, FR
"When the Bough Breaks" - C
"Home Soil" - C
"Coming of Age" - C
"Heart of Glory" - C
"The Arsenal of Freedom" - C
"Symbiosis" - C
"Skin of Evil" - C
"We'll Always Have Paris" - C
"Conspiracy" - C
"The Neutral Zone" - C

I'll just note that I didn't bother putting my ear next to any of the rear channels to check. The only real troublesome one is the pilot because it is unbalanced and because it differs from the Next Level sampler... but the others in the middle there are strange anomalies as well.

Here's a proof for that.
A Screenshot of the Waveforms from S01E15 "11001001".
The Center channel is duplicated in Left Front and Right Front.
So the audio is parallelized and sounds kind of metallic with a slight reverb.

Thanks for that. With this everyone can now plainly see how the dialogue was incorrectly added to the (already existing) left and right channels... they should really look more like the surround channels (LS & RS).

Just sit tight. CBS is aware of the problems... and they'll be sending out info soon (perhaps as early as tomorrow) on what kind of replacement program will be offered and how to take part. You can keep checking here, thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com for any updates.
Will do. Would feel better about getting communication directly from the source, but I'm expecting it to be highlighted here.
Old July 29 2012, 10:58 PM   #4537
Warped9
Admiral

I'm glad I held off buying this. I want it, but for now this seems just too prominent a screwup.
Old July 30 2012, 06:06 AM   #4538
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm glad I held off buying this. I want it, but for now this seems just too prominent a screwup.
It's not really that bad, annoying yes, but doesn't ruin the set. So far I only noticed an issue on 11001001. EAF seems fine. I haven't watched Haven yet. Yes, it's better if the problem is corrected, but with a surround system turned off its not even noticeable and my tv has 4 speakers to simulate surround and very good sound.

Also I have had no sync issues.

Having seen the possible replacement news, I will see how easy it will be to replace the set...and it'll probably wind up being a blip on the radar to most people in the long run in an otherwise amazing release.

Edit: I popped in Haven and it does sound pretty bad. It does appear that the digital stereo setting is mislabeled 2FRA, and it sounds better than the DTS Multi sounds. I would watch the episodes on this setting because the sound is still pretty awesome on this from the TV. Now I have to rewatch 11001001! What a chore!

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; July 30 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old July 30 2012, 12:43 PM   #4539
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Next video in our "SD to HD" comparison series is up (The Naked Now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7cNG5f4nGM
Old July 30 2012, 03:52 PM   #4540
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Would be cool if we could get an email contact @CBS.

During the Three Stooges remastered releases a couple years ago there was a contact at Sony that was very kind in replying to inquiries.

Though, they didn't have any serious problems that would have led to a over-abundance of inquiries like this might.
Old July 30 2012, 04:56 PM   #4541
zephramc
Commodore

I agree with RAMA. It's annoying, but that's it. Overall I'm very pleased with the Blu-Ray release. I just finished "The Big Goodbye", so I'm about half-way through S1. I don't have the 7.1 surround setup like a lot of folks here, so I've been listening in stereo only through the TV and the sound has been fine, with the exception of "Haven", which even in stereo, was pretty bad at points.

I would expect most of the glitches to be corrected in the near future, though regardless of the issues (and I realize this is anecdotal) the TNG blu-ray discs seem to be selling like hotcakes. I went to Target and Best Buy this weekend. Target was complete sold out and BB only had a couple copies on the shelves.
Old July 30 2012, 06:54 PM   #4542
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...lacement/17303

CBS Home Video has just issued a statement regarding the audio issues some consumers reported after watching their season 1 Blu-ray set:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Old July 30 2012, 07:15 PM   #4543
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That's so cool, I'm freezing right now.
Old July 30 2012, 07:15 PM   #4544
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

zephramc wrote: View Post
I agree with RAMA. It's annoying, but that's it. Overall I'm very pleased with the Blu-Ray release. I just finished "The Big Goodbye", so I'm about half-way through S1. I don't have the 7.1 surround setup like a lot of folks here, so I've been listening in stereo only through the TV and the sound has been fine, with the exception of "Haven", which even in stereo, was pretty bad at points.

I would expect most of the glitches to be corrected in the near future, though regardless of the issues (and I realize this is anecdotal) the TNG blu-ray discs seem to be selling like hotcakes. I went to Target and Best Buy this weekend. Target was complete sold out and BB only had a couple copies on the shelves.
I just have a simple Sony soundbar with a wired subwoofer. Haven was the first episode where I noticed a problem. I'm more than annoyed; I want a replacement.

That's a feeling that will only grow if I notice issues in other episodes that others have cited.
Old July 30 2012, 07:26 PM   #4545
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...lacement/17303

CBS Home Video has just issued a statement regarding the audio issues some consumers reported after watching their season 1 Blu-ray set:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Excellent. I just sent an email.

This information merits being highlighted - front-paged, maybe even its own thread so noone misses it.

Having the two so-called "official" threads here gets confusing.
Closed Thread