Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2012, 03:04 PM   #286
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

sojourner wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Perhaps the most dead-on bit of futurism in the movie was anticipating the technology to have the same program showing on TVs in every room of your home. I see commercials these days that look a lot like that scene.
Having missed the movie, I may not be getting the full implication of your statement here. I've always been able to tune multiple TV's to the same channel. Do you mean it was some kind of on demand thing?
Caan's character put a compact videotape-like item into a slot next to the big-screen TV in his living room, and a video montage of his ex-wife began to play on that screen (as well as three smaller monitors above it, with different images on two of them). He then moved from room to room, and in every room, there was another big-screen TV array that was already active and showing the same video as soon as he entered. So all the TVs in his house were networked to the same source, and he could move from room to room and see the same continuous program without interruption.

Naturally, the idea was the Fahrenheit 451/Max Headroom kind of thing where everyone in the dystopian future is being constantly numbed by the opiate of ubiquitous television and nobody reads books anymore -- although it didn't go quite that far, since the characters could actually turn off their TVs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:50 PM   #287
sojourner
Admiral

Ah, cool.
Old July 25 2012, 03:35 AM   #288
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Friday July 27th
0800p Dick Tracy (1990)
0955p Dick Tracy Special
1030p Dick Tracy (1945)
1145p Dick Tracy vs Cueball
0100a Dick Tracy's Dilemma
I'm sensing a pattern here.....
0215a The Gamma People
0345a Wild Wild Planet

Saturday July 28th
Noon Green Hornet Serial Conclusion
It appears there's not going to be more serials on Saturday....

Monday July 30th
1015a The Land That Time Forgot Doug McClure!
1200p Mysterious Island Crabs!
0200p The Golden Arrow "Literally a cast of thousands!"
0400p Jack the Giant Killer
0600p The 3 Worlds of Gulliver Super Dynamation!
0245a Sinbad the Sailor(1947) - Fairbanks but no Harryhausen...
0445a A Thousand and One Nights - Phil Silvers!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:36 AM   #289
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

No more serials? That's a shame. I love serials.
Old July 30 2012, 03:59 PM   #290
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Help! I stupidly managed to miss the final chapter of THE GREEN HORNET. (I had the DVR set to tape the usual three eps, not four.)

So how did it end? Spoilers welcome!
Old July 30 2012, 04:10 PM   #291
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Help! I stupidly managed to miss the final chapter of THE GREEN HORNET. (I had the DVR set to tape the usual three eps, not four.)

So how did it end? Spoilers welcome!
The cliffhanger resolution was a total copout. At the end of chapter 12, the Hornet and Banks were fighting in a building that was burning to the ground, flames and smoke surrounded them, and the walls caved in on them. At the start of chapter 13, the building had suddenly stopped burning down, and the Hornet pulled Banks out from under the collapsed wall and they had a long, calm conversation with just a quiet crackling of distant flame outside.

So let's see... I don't remember all the details, but:

Old July 30 2012, 04:13 PM   #292
Agent Richard07
Retired

All the chapters are available on YouTube.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 04:19 PM   #293
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thanks, Christopher, AgentRichard!

I actually caught the beginning of Chapter 13 before the recording stopped. Did it bother anybody else that the circus was in flames, wild animals were on the rampage, pandemonium reigned . . . and the Hornet just takes off to his next adventure without doing anything about the disaster?

Granted, he could hardly snuff out the flames with his super-breath, but it was odd how the entire catastrophe gets swept under the rug so that that the Hornet can rush off to deal with the bomb at the Sentinel . . . .
Old July 30 2012, 05:05 PM   #294
Christopher
Writer

Did it bother anybody else that the circus was in flames, wild animals were on the rampage, pandemonium reigned . . . and the Hornet just takes off to his next adventure without doing anything about the disaster?
Yeah. And not only that, but the whole disaster was Mike Axford's fault for going off to confront the racketeers himself rather than calling the police. So he's personally to blame for millions in property damage, probably the deaths of a lot of animals, and perhaps even the deaths of people.

Of course, I'm assuming all that zoo-disaster footage was stock from some earlier movie and they wrote the chapter around it. Still...

Old July 30 2012, 08:52 PM   #295
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

They may go back to serials in September... it's almost time for "Summer Under the Stars", where they show a single star's movies each day all month. It's a fun time unless you don't like the star lol... though there are only a handful of sf/f movies all month.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 01:46 AM   #296
sojourner
Admiral

TCM has a bunch of Sinbad and adventure movies on today.
Old July 31 2012, 02:27 AM   #297
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Did it bother anybody else that the circus was in flames, wild animals were on the rampage, pandemonium reigned . . . and the Hornet just takes off to his next adventure without doing anything about the disaster?
Yeah. And not only that, but the whole disaster was Mike Axford's fault for going off to confront the racketeers himself rather than calling the police. So he's personally to blame for millions in property damage, probably the deaths of a lot of animals, and perhaps even the deaths of people....
Good point! I'd forgotten that Axford was responsible, not the gangsters!

More post-mortem: Is Lenore Case the most-underutilized female lead in history? Did she do anything except answer the phone and chirpily defend the Hornet the whole series? Heck, I don't think she ever left Reid's office.

She was no Lois Lane . . . or even Margo Lane!
Old July 31 2012, 03:57 AM   #298
Christopher
Writer

More post-mortem: Is Lenore Case the most-underutilized female lead in history? Did she do anything except answer the phone and chirpily defend the Hornet the whole series? Heck, I don't think she ever left Reid's office.
She did help out slightly with the bomb in Britt's office in the final episode, but not as much as one would've expected given her previous support for the Hornet. And yeah, I think you're right -- her every scene was in either Britt's office or her own outer office.

(Also, according to the credits in episode 1, she was actually Leonore Case here rather than Lenore.)

For what it's worth, on radio, Casey didn't learn Britt was the Green Hornet until 1948, and this serial was made in '39 and released in '40. So her role would necessarily have been more limited than it was by the time the '60s TV series came along. Plus it was the '40s and she was a secretary. Lois Lane was a reporter and Margot Lane was a socialite. Secretary was a more constrained role.

Old July 31 2012, 04:07 AM   #299
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Still, you'd expect her to get kidnapped by gangsters, or try to figure out the Hornet's true identity, or flirt with Reid or something. She didn't even meet the Hornet until the very last chapter . . ..
Old July 31 2012, 04:18 AM   #300
Christopher
Writer

I gather that the serial was a pretty literal adaptation of the radio series, perhaps even a direct remake of some of its episodes. And a weekly series could drag out things like that a lot longer and have Casey get involved in the stories a lot more intermittently or gradually.

But if so, then yes, it was a weakness, and it goes to show how unwise it is to adapt something too literally, since what works in one format or medium may not work in another. Casey's small role here was a disappointment and a waste of an interesting actress.

But the actress, Anne Nagel, did return in the second serial, so maybe she had more to do there. It also brought back the same actors as Axford and Kato, though Britt was recast (as was the Hornet's voice) and Jenks was replaced by a different reporter. (And the bad guy was the same actor who played Perry White in the Superman serials!)