Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 28 2012, 05:30 PM   #1306
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Samaritan wrote: View Post
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/abc-...med-tv-series/

A TV Series Set In Marvel’s Avengers World?

...the project is in a nascent stage, described as “a kernel of an idea,”
http://www.ksitetv.com/general-tv-ne...rs-world/15414

The article mentions that it “may not include characters from the Joss Whedon blockbuster” but that it would be set in the same world. One of the ideas suggested is a “high-concept cop show.” (Power Man and Iron Fist?)
Why not?
The world of the Avengers? So a show set in New York? cool
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 07:09 PM   #1307
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I vote for a TV show based on Doctor Strange or the Sub-Mariner! Blow that budget thru the roof!
Why would it blow the budget though the roof? CBS did a relatively cheap Dr. Strange pilot in the late '70s and Man From Atlantis was pretty close to Namor. With tody's visual effects they can do alot more for less money than they did in the '70s. Smallville was able to do things with Clark's powers that we still have to yet on the big screen.
Doctor Strange wouldn't be worth doing without the visuals inspired by Ditko's art, just as Sub-Mariner would be absurd without Atlantis. But some cop show in sci fi window dressing is so much cheaper. and no doubt that's what we'll get.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 08:01 PM   #1308
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Powers may start from scratch.

Jason Patric may be back, I hope they keep Titus Welliver too.
Old July 28 2012, 09:28 PM   #1309
DWF
Vice Admiral

I vote for a TV show based on Doctor Strange or the Sub-Mariner! Blow that budget thru the roof!
Why would it blow the budget though the roof? CBS did a relatively cheap Dr. Strange pilot in the late '70s and Man From Atlantis was pretty close to Namor. With tody's visual effects they can do alot more for less money than they did in the '70s. Smallville was able to do things with Clark's powers that we still have to yet on the big screen.
Doctor Strange wouldn't be worth doing without the visuals inspired by Ditko's art, just as Sub-Mariner would be absurd without Atlantis. But some cop show in sci fi window dressing is so much cheaper. and no doubt that's what we'll get.
And they can do all of that with CGI and Namor has really spent ery little time in Atlantis I could care less if we see it or not. And Namor has had plenty of surface adventures he did fight WWII with Captain America as a part of the Invaders.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 05:50 AM   #1310
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I still think "Deadman" is ideal for TV. It's "Ghost" meets "The Fugitive" meets "Quantum Leap."

Each week Boston Brand jumps into somebody else's body (and life) while trying to track down his own killer . . . .

(You'd probably want to ditch the bright red circus costume, though.)
Everyone knows you're stuck in the clothes you die in for all of eternity. So dress well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 06:05 AM   #1311
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

And they can do all of that with CGI and Namor has really spent ery little time in Atlantis I could care less if we see it or not. And Namor has had plenty of surface adventures he did fight WWII with Captain America as a part of the Invaders.
He's spent large sections of his comic runs in Atlantis with characters like Dorma, Kang and Attuma. Though most attempts to revive or boost interest in the character seem to take him out of Atlantis or cut him off from it. I find Namor and Aquaman more interesting when in sf/fantasy type setting like Atlantis.

WWII only lasted six years and the original Invaders run was only 41 issues and was published in the 1970s.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old July 29 2012, 09:18 AM   #1312
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Yeah, but he also had a ton of surface adventures fighting Nazis back in the 40s when he was first created.

I'd love to see a Ditko-styled psychedelic Doc Strange series, but I doubt if the mass audience could handle that.
Old July 30 2012, 12:56 AM   #1313
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
^^ Yeah, but he also had a ton of surface adventures fighting Nazis back in the 40s when he was first created.

I'd love to see a Ditko-styled psychedelic Doc Strange series, but I doubt if the mass audience could handle that.
But not with Captain America.
Old July 30 2012, 03:37 AM   #1314
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Although a WWII era Namor might be intriguing, I think it would be too bizarre to work in a TV series. I'd go for a Sub-Mariner series mainly for the sake of Atlantis. seeing some guy running around the surface world in his swim trunks doesn't strike me as particularly interesting. Maybe if he's got a smokin hot bod? That would be mandatory n any case.

And if the masses can't handle a Ditko style Doctor Strange, put the show on HBO. The masses can stick with their CBS procedurals.
Old July 30 2012, 03:58 AM   #1315
DWF
Vice Admiral

Although a WWII era Namor might be intriguing.
Whatever happened to taking risks and in any event he could set in the present day, John Byrne made him a CEO of his own major company.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:21 AM   #1316
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ We live in a risk-averse era.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I thought Namor, Cap and the original Human Torch were all teamed up in All-Winners Squad.

And if the masses can't handle a Ditko style Doctor Strange, put the show on HBO. The masses can stick with their CBS procedurals.
I don't think pay cable would be any more friendly to psychedelia or surrealism. All of their shows tend toward gritty realism (or at least what passes for it).
Old July 30 2012, 09:31 AM   #1317
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

The evident presence of the original Human Torch, as an easter egg, in The First Avenger holds the door open for a treatment of the Invaders in the Cap feature film series.
Old July 30 2012, 02:37 PM   #1318
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^^ We live in a risk-averse era.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I thought Namor, Cap and the original Human Torch were all teamed up in All-Winners Squad.
That was after the war in 1946. Though they did appear on various covers together they never became a team until then.
Old July 31 2012, 12:12 AM   #1319
JD
Admiral

I don't think pay cable would be any more friendly to psychedelia or surrealism. All of their shows tend toward gritty realism (or at least what passes for it).
I don't really see where something something like that would be out of place on a group of networks that include things like True Blood, Game of Thrones, and Spartacus. True Blood and Game of Thrones did start out a little more realistic, but have got more fantastic as they've gone on.
Old July 31 2012, 12:19 AM   #1320
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Even Breaking Bad sometimes has a slightly surrealistic style, even though it takes place in the real world, such as it is. Mad Men included an LSD trip this season. Cable is more willing to take creative risks and not insist that everything be straightforward and simple for the audience to grasp.

Although a WWII era Namor might be intriguing.
Whatever happened to taking risks
We're talking about TV, that's what happened. Even cable has a limited stomach for very strange ideas. Which is why my Acid Trip Doctor Strange idea is a long shot, but fun to contemplate.