TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your favourite Batman...
Batman (1943 serial) 0 0%
Batman and Robin (1949 serial) 0 0%
Batman TV series (1966) 9 11.11%
Batman (1966) 3 3.70%
Batman (1989) 16 19.75%
Batman Returns (1992) 3 3.70%
Batman Forever (1995) 0 0%
Batman & Robin (1997) 1 1.23%
Batman Begins (2005) 16 19.75%
The Dark Knight (2008) 25 30.86%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 8 9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30 2012, 12:37 AM   #61
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Your favourite Batman...

stj wrote:
Street criminals stand for anyone who would use violence or threats of violence against us, something we all know of from the playground.
Or from having street criminals use violence against us.
Old July 30 2012, 12:52 AM   #62
Warped9
Admiral

I applaud Nolan for making the effort to make Batman seem credible as opposed to trying to portray a storybook fantasy with little resemblance to the real world. Watching Burton's Batman is like something out of a distorted dream. I'm never really moved because it's so obviously faked.

When I was seven years old I liked the Adam West series, but then I didn't recognize the camp and parody. I didn't understand it and only saw colour and adventure and cool gadgets. But within a few years I discovered the 1970's comics and a more interesting Batman. Along with that I had gained enough added perception to see how silly the '60's series was. I was then offended because I resented the mockery of what I saw as a great character.

Now I can occasionally smirk when I see the Adam West version, but at heart I still resent the extensive parody. While I don't agree with everything in the Nolan film's I appreciate him evoking something of what I saw in those 1970's comics.

I also appreciate that Nolan was going for something more in his Batman films. Just as science fiction can be a setting for raising questions and issues (even if you don't get definate answers) Nolan used Batman as a setting to pose questions and issues. And different people are going to get different things out of them.

More succinctly, The Avengers was a comic book movie (and an entertaining one at that). Nolan's trilogy are films that happen to have Batman in them. That kind of clever storytelling really clicks for me.
Old July 30 2012, 12:55 AM   #63
Christopher
Writer

Takeru wrote: View Post
The Nolan movies are good movies but I don't like Bale's Batman, it's the voice, I have no idea what Bale was thinking, it sounds ridiculous.
Probably was Bale was thinking was "This is what Chris Nolan wants, so this is what I'll do." If it had been Bale's idea and Nolan hadn't agreed, then Nolan would've had him do it differently. So the voice is what Nolan wanted it to be. The buck stops with him.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 01:22 AM   #64
inflatabledalek
Captain

I've not seen the 40's serials (and by all accounts I'm not missing much) but I enjoy pretty much all versions of Batman a lot. As others have said, he's a remarkably versatile character (it's hard to imagine pretty much any other superhero being able to do the West series and the Nolan film styles equally well) and that's part of what I love about him. I, as disscussed recently in another thread, even acknowledge Batman and Robin does what it sets out to do fairly well even if it's not really for me.

In terms of sheer personal pleasure without any objectivity though, it's Batman Forever.
Old July 30 2012, 02:25 AM   #65
Warped9
Admiral

There is a curiousity factor to the '40's serials. I can't help but squint and wonder what might have been been with a bit more money, resource and dedication. But that would have been bucking the trend of how comic books were then percieved.

Zorro, an influence on the development of Batman as a character, does give some indication as to what could have been done if Batman had been taken a bit more seriously. There are also a good number of thriller, adventure and horror films of the 1920s, '30s and '40s that give you an idea of what could have been done.

I also look at the first season of The Adventures Of Superman with George Reeves as something of a template to how a more straight and somewhat more serious Batman could have been done.

It really comes done to someone's vision challenging current accepted conventions. Superheroes on film really didn't get serious minded until after the comics themselves had done so.

A fan looks at a favourite character and can express his appreciation to it being treated seriously. A non-fan will look at the same work and deride it for appearing to take itself so seriously.
Old July 30 2012, 03:39 AM   #66
Christopher
Writer

And I still say that "serious" is not the only legitimate way to do comics. A comedy approach to Batman isn't mocking or insulting or bad, it's just developing different potentials in the character and the premise.

I guess the thing is, a lot of people formulate the question as, "Should Batman be a comedy?" I think I prefer to approach it as, "Should a comedy be Batman?" That is, does using Batman as the basis for a comedy result in a good comedy? And both Batman '66 and Batman: The Brave and the Bold have demonstrated that the answer is very much yes. Both were very funny and innovative comedies with rich imagination.

Comedy and drama are two sides of the same coin. The characters and ideas that can produce a good result in one can generally produce a good result in the other. If they're rich characters, if they have interesting lives or personalities, if they're in interesting or challenging situations, if there's a lot of emotional depth or complexity to them, then they can be great for either comedy or drama. The best dramas are often quite funny, and the best comedies are often quite moving. So it really doesn't make sense to say that a character or concept that works well when treated seriously is therefore a bad choice for a comedic treatment. If it's good for the one, it's good for the other.

Old July 30 2012, 03:45 AM   #67
Gojira
Commodore

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
In terms of sheer personal pleasure without any objectivity though, it's Batman Forever.
The same for me too!
Old July 30 2012, 03:47 AM   #68
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I still say that "serious" is not the only legitimate way to do comics.
While this is true we've gone from Howard The Duck in the '70s to the much darked themed "humor" of Lobo. However I did love John Byrne's runs on She-Hulk's book and Petere David's run on The Incredible Hulk. I doubt if they're going to bring back Bat-Mite anytime soon.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:49 AM   #69
Warped9
Admiral

And I still say that "serious" is not the only legitimate way to do comics. A comedy approach to Batman isn't mocking or insulting or bad, it's just developing different potentials in the character and the premise.

I guess the thing is, a lot of people formulate the question as, "Should Batman be a comedy?" I think I prefer to approach it as, "Should a comedy be Batman?" That is, does using Batman as the basis for a comedy result in a good comedy? And both Batman '66 and Batman: The Brave and the Bold have demonstrated that the answer is very much yes. Both were very funny and innovative comedies with rich imagination.

Comedy and drama are two sides of the same coin. The characters and ideas that can produce a good result in one can generally produce a good result in the other. If they're rich characters, if they have interesting lives or personalities, if they're in interesting or challenging situations, if there's a lot of emotional depth or complexity to them, then they can be great for either comedy or drama. The best dramas are often quite funny, and the best comedies are often quite moving. So it really doesn't make sense to say that a character or concept that works well when treated seriously is therefore a bad choice for a comedic treatment. If it's good for the one, it's good for the other.
Fair enough, but it still comes down to opinion and individual preference. I appreciate humour in Star Trek and even enjoy the occasional spoof, but I wouldn't like to see it done on an extensive basis. I can enjoy the humour in The Brave And The Bold, perhaps partly because it's animated, but it doesn't strike me as ridiculous as the '60's TV series.

Still that's my opinion.
Old July 30 2012, 03:58 AM   #70
Gojira
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
While this is true we've gone from Howard The Duck in the '70s to the much darked themed "humor" of Lobo. However I did love John Byrne's runs on She-Hulk's book and Petere David's run on The Incredible Hulk. I doubt if they're going to bring back Bat-Mite anytime soon.

Everything changes. Right now it is dark and serious is all the rage. In time the pendulum will start heading in the other direction. Fads come and go and at some point audiences will want superheroes that are a little more lighthearted.
Old July 30 2012, 04:06 AM   #71
DWF
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

Everything changes. Right now it is dark and serious is all the rage. In time the pendulum will start heading in the other direction. Fads come and go and at some point audiences will want superheroes that are a little more lighthearted.
I'd agree if comic books were still written for kids, the lighthearted approach is now even more grown up just not as dark as Byrne's runs on She-Hulk and David's run on the Hulk showed.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 05:03 AM   #72
Dream
Admiral

I'd say there is room for both. Look at how successful The Avengers and The Dark Knight were. Two very different movies, but both incredible successes.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 10:09 AM   #73
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I would like to see a future film be closer to the 70s and 80s comics, before Frank Miller changed the tone of the character. Still a serious detective. But also overtly heroic. With more of an adventurous, swashbuckling feel.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:30 PM   #74
Christopher
Writer

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I would like to see a future film be closer to the 70s and 80s comics, before Frank Miller changed the tone of the character. Still a serious detective. But also overtly heroic. With more of an adventurous, swashbuckling feel.
That might be a good approach for a film reboot that would be distinctly different from Nolan's version. Denny O'Neill's Batman as globetrotting adventurer, master detective, and romantic lead. Avoiding the camp and cartooniness of the Burton and Schumacher movies, but also very different from Nolan's approach. It would also fit more neatly into a shared Justice League universe.

Old July 30 2012, 04:21 PM   #75
Gojira
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
I'd say there is room for both. Look at how successful The Avengers and The Dark Knight were. Two very different movies, but both incredible successes.
I do agree that there will always be room for both. I wonder what tone Batman will take once it is rebooted? It is possible that the next director may steer away from the serious tone of the Nolan movies in an effort to make it different and to put his own creative touch on it. Or they may make it close in style to the Nolan movies because they were so successful. There are many options.