MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 29 2012, 08:15 AM   #391
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

I wonder if Scotty will be court matialed.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 12:15 AM   #392
The Wormhole
Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I doubt it. Court room drama doesn't really seem like exciting ground for an ongoing comic book series. Especially when we know Scotty would be cleared of all charges since he is going to be in the next movie.
Old July 30 2012, 01:05 AM   #393
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I doubt it. Court room drama doesn't really seem like exciting ground for an ongoing comic book series. Especially when we know Scotty would be cleared of all charges since he is going to be in the next movie.
I could not disagree more strongly.

First of all I fail to understand how an ongoing comic book series is any different from a tv series, novel series, or movie series. All three medium have employed the device of a trial of some sort and done it in a way that is "exciting". Star Trek itself is well known for stories that have involved legal proceedings and they are very well regarded indeed.

Secondly while there is no dispute that Scotty is going to be in the next movie that does not dictate that he would be cleared of ALL charges. But even if he were the whys and wherefores of the story behind his court martial and clearance could done properly be very interesting indeed.

Now I can certainly understand if you are actually simply meaning that you would not find such a story interesting or worth reading. But trust me there are some (and perhaps more than some) who would hold quite the opposite opinion.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 01:25 AM   #394
The Wormhole
Admiral

Stoek wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I could not disagree more strongly.

First of all I fail to understand how an ongoing comic book series is any different from a tv series, novel series, or movie series. All three medium have employed the device of a trial of some sort and done it in a way that is "exciting". Star Trek itself is well known for stories that have involved legal proceedings and they are very well regarded indeed.

Secondly while there is no dispute that Scotty is going to be in the next movie that does not dictate that he would be cleared of ALL charges. But even if he were the whys and wherefores of the story behind his court martial and clearance could done properly be very interesting indeed.

Now I can certainly understand if you are actually simply meaning that you would not find such a story interesting or worth reading. But trust me there are some (and perhaps more than some) who would hold quite the opposite opinion.
Well, I don't get how a comic book consisting of 30 pages of people sitting in a court room is going to be enthralling. At least on TV you can have the actors' performances carry the story. Granted, you could always try to have flashbacks to make things interesting, but if Scotty were indeed court martialed over what goes on in thos story, wouldn't flashbacks to a previous comic basically be a clip show? Those are bad enough on TV, a comic would be even worse.

Besides, I get the impression these comics are meant to be more action oriented than character. After all, the character based episodes of TOS haven't been adapted, like The Conscience of the King, City on the Edge of Forever, or even Court Martial.
Old July 30 2012, 03:24 AM   #395
Christopher
Writer

I've read my share of trial stories in comics. Heck, Peter David did a whole 3-parter called "The Trial of James T. Kirk" for DC. And Marvel has two superheroes who are also practicing lawyers, Daredevil and She-Hulk. There are a lot of courtroom scenes and subplots in their books.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:18 PM   #396
indianatrekker26
Captain

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/star...-tribbles.html
The following link is an interview newsarama did with writer Mike Johnson.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:53 PM   #397
ClayinCA
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've read my share of trial stories in comics. Heck, Peter David did a whole 3-parter called "The Trial of James T. Kirk" for DC. And Marvel has two superheroes who are also practicing lawyers, Daredevil and She-Hulk. There are a lot of courtroom scenes and subplots in their books.
The Trial of James T Kirk was fantastic, even if it was 50% fanwank.

Interesting thought about Jen Walters and Matt Murdock: anybody know if they ever went up against each other in a court of law? If not, that would seem like a wasted opportunity...
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:37 PM   #398
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Nrama: Invasion of earth? Fantastic. Can you reveal any of the other classic episodes you're reinterpreting in the series over the coming months?
Johnson: I would love to revisit the “Mirror Universe” with the new crew.
Is he doing it or is it a maybe then?

i would love a movie showing of the mirror universe.

I am really curious about the next "Countdown".
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 11:18 PM   #399
Christopher
Writer

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Interesting thought about Jen Walters and Matt Murdock: anybody know if they ever went up against each other in a court of law? If not, that would seem like a wasted opportunity...
That seems unlikely, since they're both criminal defense attorneys. I suppose it's possible they could choose to represent opposite sides in a civil case, but on the whole, you'd be more likely to see them working together as co-counsels (particularly since they both tend to specialize in superhero-related cases).

Old July 31 2012, 05:45 PM   #400
JD
Admiral

Have they worked together? I think I remember reading about them appearing together in a comic, but that doesn't necessarily mean they worked together.
Old July 31 2012, 06:22 PM   #401
Christopher
Writer

^I'd be surprised if they haven't, given how many years they've both been around.

Old July 31 2012, 07:54 PM   #402
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I don't believe they've officially worked as co-counsel on any cases yet.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:11 PM   #403
ClayinCA
Commodore

Which I guess was really what I was after, though I do thank Christopher for reminding me that Matt and Jen would be on the same side of the courtroom, so to speak. But it would be a blast to see a courtroom story with them both in, however it'd be arranged. Although, are either of them currently practicing law? I know Matt's had to more or less stop trying cases because everyone thinks/knows he's Daredevil, but didn't Jen get disbarred or something?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 09:51 PM   #404
Paris
Fleet Captain

Knowing those two characters, they're probably more likely to have slept together than actually worked together
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:41 PM   #405
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Although, are either of them currently practicing law? I know Matt's had to more or less stop trying cases because everyone thinks/knows he's Daredevil, but didn't Jen get disbarred or something?
I can't speak for Jen, but Murdock is indeed practicing law again. A Wikipedia summary refers to their work as "consulting counselors" now, coaching clients how to represent themselves in court, rather than Matt and Foggy representing directly. The public knowledge that Murdock is Daredevil is handled by himself and Foggy as "past allegations" that they strenuously deny. I don't know the exact specifics of how they handle that, though, because most of the recent Daredevil issues I've read have focused more on the crime-fighting than on Matt's civilian life.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote