Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your favourite Batman...
Batman (1943 serial) 0 0%
Batman and Robin (1949 serial) 0 0%
Batman TV series (1966) 8 10.00%
Batman (1966) 3 3.75%
Batman (1989) 16 20.00%
Batman Returns (1992) 3 3.75%
Batman Forever (1995) 0 0%
Batman & Robin (1997) 1 1.25%
Batman Begins (2005) 16 20.00%
The Dark Knight (2008) 25 31.25%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 8 10.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

Your favourite Batman...

So now that The Dark Knight Rises has bowed and is now known rather than just being a question lets look at your favourite live-action take of the Batman, just for fun.

Batman (1943 serial)
Batman and Robin (1949 serial)
Batman (1966 TV series)
Batman (1966)
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Forever (1995)
Batman & Robin (1997)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

The 1940's serials strike me as just throwaway efforts with little real enthusiasm to them. For their time they were disposable entertainment. The 1960's television series and feature film are just a parody of Batman and his world. They're okay for a periodc smirk, but I find them just too cringe inducing, primarily because I haven't been seven years old for a very long time.

I find this something of a tough call. I quite liked the 1989 Batman when it was released, but it has aged and at the time there wasn't a lot to compare it to. Since then we eventually got Batman Begins which really showed up the camp aspects of the '89 film. In its overall approach Batman Begins was what many of us had hoped the '89 film would have been. Now I tend to look at the recent Nolan trilogy as something of a united work, a great sprawling story spread across multiple films even though each one is somewhat self-contained. It's really tough to choose because they're each replete with great moments I really like. But if I have to choose I'd give the nod to The Dark Knight. It simply feels the most complete.
Old July 28 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
JD
Admiral

Re: Your favourite Batman...

I went with The Dark Knight. The Nolanverse version is my favorite live action version, and I think the already established, full strength Batman was my favorite portrayal of him in that universe.
I'd go with Batman Returns for my second pick. I do like Burton's more comic booky take on the character, but I haven't watched the '89 Batman in ages so I don't remember it very well at all.
Old July 28 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Warped9
Admiral

As much as I like the Nolanverse version it isn't quite the Batman of the comics, at least as I see him. I do think Nolan came closest though.

Having watched some fans films recently---particularly Batman: Dead End and City Of Scars---I think it's now possible to do a more classic approach to Batman without the obvious body-armour, something I'd really like to see. I also wouldn't mind a retro period piece Batman set back in the 1940s and similar to how Captain America was done last year.
Old July 28 2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Gojira
Commodore

The movie that is the most "fun" for me to watch is Batman Forever. I do, however, Like Christian Bale's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman with Batman Begins being my favorite of the Nolan movies.
Old July 28 2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

IMO, Michael Keaton is still the best Batman. It was faithful to the comic books of my childhood, when I would go to second-hand stores and rummage for those I had not yet read. In 1989, it was amazing to see Batman come to life in a believable way. Jack Nicholson's Joker will always be my favorite portrayal. He made me hate-- and pity-- him, all at the same time due to his back story.
Old July 28 2012, 11:36 PM   #6
scnj
Captain

I don't know. My current favourite is Rises, though that might be novelty factor. By this time next year, it might be back to being the Dark Knight.

I've never really liked what Burton did with the character. It's just never sat well with me. Schumacher's take was also pretty bad, but it felt like he was attempting to recreate the Batman he grew up on (the 60's tv show) while still working within the darker universe envisioned by Burton. I think he's unfairly saddled with the reputation of Batman & Robin, when most of the issues concerning that film were out of his hands.

So yeah, I'm undecided between TDK and TDKR, but tempted to vote for B&R because I know nobody else will.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

1989 because oF its lead actor, its Batmanesque surreal nature, its status as a groundbreaker, its simple and ingenious advertising campaign and the fact that I'm not entirely sober.
Old July 29 2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Favorite live-action is 1989s Burton/Keaton/Nicholson movie. Favorite overall is B:TAS.
Old July 29 2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

I was torn between Batman '66 and The Dark Knight. Certainly TDK is the most brilliant and powerful Batman movie ever made. But the question was about my favorite, i.e. the one I derive the most enjoyment from -- and that specific phrasing, "favorite Batman" rather than "favorite Batman production," makes me feel I had to go with which version of the character brought me the most enjoyment. While TDK is an awesome movie, Christian Bale will never be my favorite Batman. Of the actors who played him in live action, I have to go with Adam West as the one I've found most enjoyable, and his show (and the associated movie) as the live-action interpretation I've been most satisfied by on the whole. (If you consider the Nolan trilogy as a whole, it has a lot more weaknesses than TDK does by itself.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 01:05 AM   #10
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Dark Knight gets my vote, with Batman Returns a close second.
Old July 29 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Never having seen the Nolanverse films, I'd have to say 1989.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Warped9
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Favorite overall is B:TAS.
I gotta say that B-TAS and films like Mask Of The Phantasm really nail Batman more so than the live-action films so far.
Old July 29 2012, 01:59 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
IMO, Michael Keaton is still the best Batman. It was faithful to the comic books of my childhood, when I would go to second-hand stores and rummage for those I had not yet read. In 1989, it was amazing to see Batman come to life in a believable way. Jack Nicholson's Joker will always be my favorite portrayal. He made me hate-- and pity-- him, all at the same time due to his back story.
Agreed, except that for me, it's a tie between Michael Keaton and Adam West.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 02:58 AM   #14
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Batman: TAS and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are my all time favorite Batman material. Even more so than the comics. But since that wasn't a choice I chose Batman Begins, my favorite of all the live action Batman projects.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Gojira
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Never having seen the Nolanverse films, I'd have to say 1989.
Where have you been?