Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 27 2012, 08:57 AM   #91
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: General Music Thread

^ I "listen like" Bella Swan, based on what I typed in: After Forever, Delain, Epica, Kamelot, Nightwish, Within Temptation.

Their "use your facebook music likes" doesn't work too well. It only used a few of the mainstream metal bands I have in there and dubbed me a "vengeance dad".
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 09:36 AM   #92
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
BTW, am sorry to hear that the Queen remastered vinyls did not come out well. Is that an opinion that is held by a lot of others who purchased them? It's really too bad - Queen deserves much more than that.....
It is yes, the general opinion seems to be that the whole release was botched badly.

What is even more galling is that they apparently took the 1998 remasters they did for CD and just plonked them onto vinyl, in 2010. And then in 2011, they remastered all the albums again for a brand new CD release, which makes me wonder why they didn't wait and do a proper vinyl master at the same time.

Anyway, I have not bought the 2011 remasters because I am tired of them rereleasing the same stuff over and over again. I would rather they just did some new music, solo albums, whatever. Just something new instead of trading off their legacy.

BTW, did you get the Jeff Ament solo album yet? I am eyeing the vinyl in the PJ shop, I haven't even heard the album yet, but will be picking it up soon.
Old July 27 2012, 04:52 PM   #93
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

Dire Straits
I've heard good things about Dire Straits. I'm planning to get an album or two by them soon. Could I have a couple of links for your favorites? I could look for them myself but I'm not sure where to start. I'm really starting to get into quite a bit of 70s and 80s music. I started with Fleetwood Mac (who I now consider one of my favorite bands), then The Eagles, Pink Floyd and to some extent Queen.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 08:52 AM   #94
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Pingfah wrote: View Post
BTW, did you get the Jeff Ament solo album yet? I am eyeing the vinyl in the PJ shop, I haven't even heard the album yet, but will be picking it up soon.
I bought the CD, but not the vinyl. The album is reasonably good. I mean, it's not a Pearl Jam record...but it's new and pretty good. I have not decided yet if I will buy the vinyl. I did buy the Brad album on vinyl.

BTW, did you see PJ this summer in the UK? I heard the shows over there were great! Eddie is still over there, IIRC, doing some solo shows. I am seeing Pearl Jam in September - Music Midtown in Atlanta. It's a festival so it won't be a full blown for-the-fans PJ show...but they have just not been touring the US in recent years, so it's better than nothing. PJ headlines night one and Foo Fighters headlines night two...so that will be great!

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 09:22 AM   #95
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

JayOwl wrote: View Post
Dire Straits
I've heard good things about Dire Straits. I'm planning to get an album or two by them soon. Could I have a couple of links for your favorites? I could look for them myself but I'm not sure where to start. I'm really starting to get into quite a bit of 70s and 80s music. I started with Fleetwood Mac (who I now consider one of my favorite bands), then The Eagles, Pink Floyd and to some extent Queen.
Dire Straits is awesome. And the first album you should probably buy is an easy choice, because it is the album that was a MAJOR smash in the early 80's: Brothers In Arms. It doesn't have all of their major hits on it...but it the strongest overall record - not a filler song on it.

Another possibility might be Money For Nothing, which is sort of a 'best of' compilation. Most of the hits are on there. That might be a good one if you don't know anything about them and just want to test them out. But I do like their albums - back in the 80's we did not have iTunes...and you bought an entire album. So albums are kind of the more authentic way of listening to this music - the way we did.

One very important thing to note about Dire Straits, however, is that they were an AWESOME live band. Mark Knopfler is considered to be one of the best guitarists around...and so the live jams at the end of songs are a not-to-be-missed experience. If you notice on YouTube, alot of their live music is 10+ minutes long. That's cus on songs such as Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road, they cut loose at the end just let it happen. Probably their best known live album is called Alchemy Live...this was a hugely popular double album and was made as a CD and as a DVD. Here is Sultans of Swing off that album:

Here is Telegraph Road:

The songs are long...so you have to have the time to just sit and let the music wash over you, listen to the story...and let Mark Knopfler amaze you. This isn't clubbing music. But this was an amazingly talented band - one of the key bands of the 80's (they started in the 70's...but the 80's was their peak) that all of us of a certain age respected...and still respect to this day.

Oh...and by the way, if you really want to see what the 80's in rock was like, you might consider purchasing the DVD set of Live Aid. Anyone who was alive on that day will tell you that Queen ruled the universe that day (they turned in the most amazing set that I am aware of any band ever turning in, EVER)...but Dire Straits easily took second place - they had an amazing set too.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
Old July 28 2012, 09:58 AM   #96
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

JayOwl...another thing about the early 80's is that we are a true MTV generation. When MTV first came on, it was fabulous..and alot of us spent hours and hours in front of MTV....staying up all night, partying with friends, and watching videos. Here is Dire Straits two most popular videos that I watched about 50,000 times each in the early 80's:

Both of these songs, btw, are off of Brothers In Arms.

Here is the title song off of Brothers In Arms - sad song...but very beautiful....still gets me choked up when I listen to it. But this is definitely one of those songs where you have to just sit and let it wash over you and reach into your soul.

Okay! So all of this should give you a reasonable idea of what this band is about. Hope you enjoy!!!

Old July 28 2012, 11:32 AM   #97
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

PKTrekGirl wrote:
Dire Straits is awesome. And the first album you should probably buy is an easy choice, because it is the album that was a MAJOR smash in the early 80's: Brothers In Arms. It doesn't have all of their major hits on it...but it the strongest overall record - not a filler song on it.

Another possibility might be Money For Nothing, which is sort of a 'best of' compilation. Most of the hits are on there. That might be a good one if you don't know anything about them and just want to test them out. But I do like their albums - back in the 80's we did not have iTunes...and you bought an entire album. So albums are kind of the more authentic way of listening to this music - the way we did.

One very important thing to note about Dire Straits, however, is that they were an AWESOME live band. Mark Knopfler is considered to be one of the best guitarists around...and so the live jams at the end of songs are a not-to-be-missed experience. If you notice on YouTube, alot of their live music is 10+ minutes long. That's cus on songs such as Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road, they cut loose at the end just let it happen. Probably their best known live album is called Alchemy Live...this was a hugely popular double album and was made as a CD and as a DVD. Here is Sultans of Swing off that album:

The songs are long...so you have to have the time to just sit and let the music wash over you, listen to the story...and let Mark Knopfler amaze you. This isn't clubbing music. But this was an amazingly talented band - one of the key bands of the 80's (they started in the 70's...but the 80's was their peak) that all of us of a certain age respected...and still respect to this day.
Thanks! That's ok, I don't like clubbing music much at all.

My Dad has loads of records and I know Dire Straits are amoung them, but I don't see him or his record collection much, and I can't get records onto mp3. I listen to most things via iTunes/ my iPod. As it turns out, I don't buy many single songs or much off iTunes at all, I buy CD albums to 1) keep the value rather than just having worthless mp3s, 2) To have a physical copy to play in the car and 3) It's usually cheaper anyway, and if it's new it's just the same price!

Listening to the first link, I have to agree, they are amazing live! The best ones are. I don't regonise any yet, but they'll probably grow on me. I've just ordered "Brothers In Arms"- £2.75 including packaging. I love Amazon. .

I'll listen to the studio version in a mintute, while they sound great live, the studio versions are obviously going to be cleared. Still, I like "Telegraph Road" most so far.
I didn't get the MTV videos because they're 'not available in my country', but I searched it anyway, and "The Walk Of Life" has a really nice backing. I'm glad I got the album now. I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Thank you! I'm convinced. Once I have one album I can see how much I like it and go from there, but it's looking good so far.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 12:39 PM   #98
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet

I loved several of Dire Straits's chart hits (and videos!) when I was a child, and I got their Very Best Of... CD some time ago. Later I got "Brothers In Arms" and I can see why it was the one CD that everyone had to own back in the day - even today it's still a fantastic listen.

Then I saw the film "Local Hero" for which Mark Knopfler composed the soundtrack. To date it's still one of my favourite movie soundtracks. The Live version of the "Wild Theme" is one of the best things I have ever heard.

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 02:31 PM   #99
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

On the subject of the 80's, you can't leave out Weird Al. Mark Knopfler insisted he play guitar on this one when asked for permission.

Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 07:17 PM   #100
Santaman
Rear Admiral

JayOwl...another thing about the early 80's is that we are a true MTV generation. When MTV first came on, it was fabulous..and alot of us spent hours and hours in front of MTV....staying up all night,
Yeah, it was a time that MTV actually broadcasted music.. oh and Beavis and Butthead... hu hu hu yeah uh hu hu...

There has been good music in the 80's but also stuff beyond bad... and don't mention the hair and costumes of those days..

Oh and some series even had Tangerine Dream performing the intro music..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCItnKrXvMM
Old July 28 2012, 07:55 PM   #101
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Santaman wrote: View Post
There has been good music in the 80's but also stuff beyond bad... and don't mention the hair and costumes of those days..
Sigue Sigue Sputnik were very much a product of the 80s:

Old July 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #102
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I loved several of Dire Straits's chart hits (and videos!) when I was a child, and I got their Very Best Of... CD some time ago. Later I got "Brothers In Arms" and I can see why it was the one CD that everyone had to own back in the day - even today it's still a fantastic listen.

Then I saw the film "Local Hero" for which Mark Knopfler composed the soundtrack. To date it's still one of my favourite movie soundtracks. The Live version of the "Wild Theme" is one of the best things I have ever heard.
You know, I do not own that "Very Best Of" album. At that point, I owned all of their studio albums and had purchased "Money For Nothing" a decade earlier (I always got a kick out of them using "Money for Nothing" as the title of that...like they had a sense of humor about the fact that there were no new songs on the record - it was just a 'best of' compilation. ) so I didn't buy "The Very Best Of". Would you recommend it to JayOwl? I don't even know what tracks are on it!

Here is a link to their discography on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Straits_discography

There you can see that, like most British bands, they got big in the UK before the US....I would say that over here, their 'breakout' album was Making Movies and of course, their mega-hit album was Brothers In Arms.

JayOwl...if you end up liking Brothers In Arms..I would suggest Making Movies and Love Over Gold as next steps. You mentioned that you really liked "Telegraph Road" - well, that song is on Love Over Gold and is AWESOME. It was not a single...but it is the song that really got my personal attention, back in the day. Here is the studio version...all 14 minutes of it! :

Beautiful song!

Old July 28 2012, 08:42 PM   #103
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post

You know, I do not own that "Very Best Of" album. At that point, I owned all of their studio albums and had purchased "Money For Nothing" a decade earlier (I always got a kick out of them using "Money for Nothing" as the title of that...like they had a sense of humor about the fact that there were no new songs on the record - it was just a 'best of' compilation. ) so I didn't buy "The Very Best Of". Would you recommend it to JayOwl? I don't even know what tracks are on it!
Its full title is "Sultans of Swing: the very best of Dire Straits" released in the late 90s, and is a collection of their singles, including the radio edit of "Money For Nothing" and live versions of Local Hero's "Wild Theme" and "Your Latest Trick." It's a decent introduction to their work, I think, and might inspire someone new to the band to seek the rest of their discography.

Track list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultans...f_Dire_Straits

Old July 28 2012, 08:48 PM   #104
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Santaman...I agree with you about the 80's. I think that, like any era of music, there was good and bad. Most of the bad is sort of forgotten at this point (unless it was so bad that it is actually remembered for it's excessive badness! )...but there is good and bad in all eras.

I mean, I was a child in the 70's...and I can tell you that while there were great bands making great music (Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones were all huge in the 70's, Motown was roaring, and bands such as Queen, Bruce Springsteen, and Aerosmith had made their marks with their best years still ahead of them). But then we had truly godawful music in the 70's too. Pop music in particular was just GHASTLY in the 70's. I mean, get a load of this piece of crap:

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

And then there was disco. I mean, I know she just died...but Jesus, this song is just TERRIBLE:

Tremendous lyrics in that song, huh? I mean, in between the faux-orgasms.

What I'm trying to say here is that these days, when people think about the 70's, they (thankfully) remember bands like Led Zeppelin...or The Eagles...or Fleetwood Mac....or even bands like the Commodores, who were AWESOME in the 70's:

But thankfully, for most of us, songs like this>

are largely forgotten by all but the most traumatized among us.

Old July 28 2012, 08:58 PM   #105
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Santaman...I agree with you about the 80's. I think that, like any era of music, there was good and bad. Most of the bad is sort of forgotten at this point (unless it was so bad that it is actually remembered for it's excessive badness! )...but there is good and bad in all eras.
As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, I can definitely concur with this. In the UK, BBC Four rebroadcasts old episodes of Top of the Pops originally shown in the late 70s each Thursday (except when The Sky At Night is on) and the vast majority of the songs featured each week have been rightly forgotten in the mists of time, with only one or two songs that have survived in the general collective memory - not coincidentally, such songs are genuinely good. But yeah, the truly awful ones are remembered for their badness, and as such still stay with us whether we like it or not!

Also, our Radio 2 each week has a Pick of the Pops programme which revisits the UK top 40 from the present week in 2 different years - occasionally featuring music from my childhood years - and while it gives us the chance to listen again to great songs, it does unearth some forgotten gems of songs and, again, some rubbish that should have stayed forgotten but didn't.