TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Fallen Gods.
Outstanding 1 1.11%
Above Average 14 15.56%
Average 40 44.44%
Below Average 24 26.67%
Poor 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26 2012, 08:07 PM   #61
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sho wrote: View Post
It just wasn't ever really credible that they they're organized enough for spacefaring, but then you have the Pakled ...
There's an idea- a Pakled crew member on Titan. But then, how about a Horta crew member!?!

You can have a Pakled captain in STO. I wonder if anyone has actually chosen that option?
Old July 27 2012, 02:57 AM   #62
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just happened to see this out at my local B&N and snatched it up. Was only on the New Release paperback shelf and not doubled up on the Trek shelf, and at the lowest lefthand corner. Weird, as the trek books are usually at head-height on the NRPB shelf. As well, the book is a regular glossy cover, which makes the cover treatment look pretty poor. No matte finish, no raised title section. Shame as I thought it was nice to have a distinct cover treatment and texture for a distinct series. Won't be reading this soon, but I am getting closer to finally starting the Post-NEM novel verse!
Old July 27 2012, 08:30 AM   #63
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

My copy will arrive in a few days, or so I'm told. I can't remember which of you suggested The Book Depository to me, but I'm glad you did.
Old July 27 2012, 08:31 AM   #64
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
It just wasn't ever really credible that they they're organized enough for spacefaring, but then you have the Pakled ...
There's an idea- a Pakled crew member on Titan. But then, how about a Horta crew member!?!
They have a Horta already, actually. Or they did in the early books; he left after Destiny. Strangely enough, we never got to meet him. He was the subject of a few "tripping over the mobile rock" jokes and that was it. Chwollk is the enterprising fellow's name.
Old July 27 2012, 10:27 PM   #65
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have it preordered on my Kindle and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately, Odd Apocalypse also comes out the same day, and between the two, I'm sticking with Odd in terms of which I read first.
YubYubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 02:46 AM   #66
CommodoreNero
Captain

Pre-ordered for my Kindle. I'm excited to see where the story goes. The overall 24th Century direction has been great, so far.
Old July 28 2012, 02:57 AM   #67
Sho
Fleet Captain

In terms of the overall direction, I feel a clear trend has been for the 24th century to move toward the 25th century.

*takes a sip of tea*
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 03:00 AM   #68
CommodoreNero
Captain

In terms of the overall direction, I feel a clear trend has been for the 24th century to move toward the 25th century.

*takes a sip of tea*
Stolen, my thunder is.
Old July 28 2012, 03:02 AM   #69
Sho
Fleet Captain

Sorry for that sillyness, I'm killing time while transferring my newly-arrived TNG Remastered Blu-rays to my home server. Then it's off to Farpoint Station for me!
Old July 28 2012, 03:27 PM   #70
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Just happened to see this out at my local B&N and snatched it up. Was only on the New Release paperback shelf and not doubled up on the Trek shelf, and at the lowest lefthand corner. Weird, as the trek books are usually at head-height on the NRPB shelf. As well, the book is a regular glossy cover, which makes the cover treatment look pretty poor. No matte finish, no raised title section. Shame as I thought it was nice to have a distinct cover treatment and texture for a distinct series.
I was afraid of that. I love the Titan series' cover designs but not having the matte finish and raised title section along the side kinda ruins the look.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 06:10 PM   #71
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I was afraid of that. I love the Titan series' cover designs but not having the matte finish and raised title section along the side kinda ruins the look.
This.
Old July 28 2012, 07:39 PM   #72
JD
Admiral

I agree to. I loved the textured and raised elements of the earlier covers, but I have a feeling it was probably a lot more expensive than a regular glossy cover.
Old July 28 2012, 08:05 PM   #73
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I agree to. I loved the textured and raised elements of the earlier covers, but I have a feeling it was probably a lot more expensive than a regular glossy cover.
Yeah, and I get the financial reasons. Just a bummer for the fans of the dead tree edition because those matte covers were nice.
Old July 28 2012, 08:06 PM   #74
Sho
Fleet Captain

Makes me a bit worried about cost-cutting taking place ...
Old July 28 2012, 08:43 PM   #75
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

The same thing happened to Vanguard, didn't it? The first three (?) installments had a nicer matte finish, then they switched to glossy covers? Or am I remembering it wrong? It didn't seem like a big deal to me. But it's different for the Titan cover design, since it made very specific use of the glossy "TITAN" etched on the side to give it a cool effect.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote