RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 434
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27 2012, 11:44 PM   #616
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Guartho wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post

This is genuinely surprising news to me. Where are they?
Stunning. stunning example of "out of context". I applaud you.
When you're done applauding would you mind answering the question, because I was being completely serious. I have never heard of a man made fusion reaction, practical or otherwise.
A thermonuclear bomb (also known as a hydrogen bomb) uses a man-made fusion reaction to increase the destructive power of a fission reaction (as opposed to an atomic bomb, which uses just a fission reaction). It was developed way back in 1951 (tested for the first time in 1952).

The first man-made semistationary fusion reaction goes back to 1968.

Last edited by Snaploud; July 28 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 12:31 AM   #617
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
My mind is more blown than Justin Bieber at a community college sorority party.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 12:57 AM   #618
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Interesting article on Time online about how Robin John Blake, while seeming to be a new character created just for TDKR, is actually an amalgam of the original 3 Robins. In fact I just noticed that his full name incorporates Dick Grayson's father's name as middle name - just as in Richard John Grayson. I had thought he was a pretty straight up nod to Dick Grayson, but the article points out solid material that came from Jason and Tim as well.

In the course of reading about some of this stuff, I've come across that Damian Wayne has been Robin the last three years (I haven't read a Batman comic in many years)? And I know Dick was Batman for a while - don't know if that's still going on but I assume not after the Return of Bruce Wayne story. So what's become of Tim in the comics?
Old July 28 2012, 02:20 AM   #619
Snaploud
Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
In the course of reading about some of this stuff, I've come across that Damian Wayne has been Robin the last three years (I haven't read a Batman comic in many years)? And I know Dick was Batman for a while - don't know if that's still going on but I assume not after the Return of Bruce Wayne story. So what's become of Tim in the comics?
Tim now goes by the name Red Robin (changing his name/costume when Damian took up the Robin identity). He leads the Teen Titans, and there are rumors that they're going to pretend he was never a Robin and always went by the name Red Robin.

Dick is no longer Batman. He goes by Nightwing again (which is strange because his run as an additional Batman--holding the cowl along with Bruce--was quite popular).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 02:30 AM   #620
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Dick is no longer Batman. He goes by Nightwing again (which is strange because his run as an additional Batman--holding the cowl along with Bruce--was quite popular).
Popularity is no surprise, Dick has always been a great character.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 02:45 AM   #621
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Interesting article on Time online about how Robin John Blake, while seeming to be a new character created just for TDKR, is actually an amalgam of the original 3 Robins

I think fans pretty much came to that conclusion too

Dick Grayson- Orphan

Jason Todd- Hot head

Tim Drake- Detective
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 03:36 AM   #622
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Tim now goes by the name Red Robin (changing his name/costume when Damian took up the Robin identity). He leads the Teen Titans, and there are rumors that they're going to pretend he was never a Robin and always went by the name Red Robin.
Well if they'd retcon in the awful Son of the Demon and have Bruce running around with a biological son (which all sounds wildly soap opera-y to me) - and resurrect Jason Todd to boot, I guess nothing would suprise me when it comes to how they handle Robin.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Interesting article on Time online about how Robin John Blake, while seeming to be a new character created just for TDKR, is actually an amalgam of the original 3 Robins

I think fans pretty much came to that conclusion too

Dick Grayson- Orphan

Jason Todd- Hot head

Tim Drake- Detective
Well, the article puts it a little differently:

Blake has the general demeanor, humor, and optimism of Dick Grayson - plus being a cop as Dick was (is?) when he first moved to the Nightwing title; he's an orphan from the wrong side of the tracks like Jason Todd (while Foley labels Blake a hothead, he doesn't ever seem to actually be one, certainly not anything like Jason was) and he figures out who Batman is like Tim.
Old July 28 2012, 05:28 AM   #623
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Great end to an excellent trilogy.

I especially like how Blake now controls a Batcave under an orphanage full of likely candidates, ensuring that Batman may well live on forever.
Old July 28 2012, 05:49 AM   #624
sojourner
Admiral

My mind is more blown than Justin Bieber at a community college sorority party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power
Old July 28 2012, 05:52 AM   #625
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

The movie was a big "meh" for me. It was at least an hour long, and dragged too much.

I'm mildly satisfied with the ending. I'm happy for Bruce. I loved seeing Talia in the movie.

The highlight of the movie for me was Blake's character. I enjoyed watching him more than I did Bruce Wayne. Wayne was a little too much "50 Shades of Grey broken" for me this go around.
Old July 28 2012, 05:56 AM   #626
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

John's arc...especially the end...reminds me a little of Terry McGuiness as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 09:55 AM   #627
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Sweet Zombie Jesus! That was awesome!

I need to watch this at least once more to fully ingest this movie, but here are some random initial thoughts.

Tom Hardy was everything I wanted and more. He has come a long way since Shinzon (and in retrospect, I don't blame him for that performance). Layer Cake, Bronson, Rocknrolla, Inception, and now this. The man has an incredible charisma and physical presence as Bane, and although he's not as chilling as The Joker, he's very terrifying nonetheless.

Michael Caine stole every single scene he was in and he had me jerking back tears more than once. Alfred's falling out with Bruce was shocking and disturbing, but it also felt real and a lot of that is thanks to Caine. Seriously, give this man (another) Oscar!

Major props to Joseph Gordon-Levitt who did a terrific job as John Blake and I thoroughly enjoyed the overall character, including the Robin/Nightwing setup.

I loved Liam Neeson's cameo largely because I expected him to show up in a flashback, but I was also relieved he wasn't actually immortal (even though the idea was referenced). Cillian Murphy's two short scenes were also great. He looked llike he had a lot of fun despite the small role.

I was firmly in the "Bruce Wayne should die" camp and I was even convinced that he did die, but I do like his final fate nonetheless because Alfred's fantasy came true.

I even liked the few comic book moments like Miranda/Talia reveal "Bane wasn't Ra's Al Ghul's son! I was his daughter! Hahaha!" and her death scene "Ra's Al Ghul has won...hahaha....."

The Avengers was incredibly fun. The Dark Knight Rises was more. Not only was it an amazing movie, it was a fantastic conclusion to an astounding trilogy. Thank you, Christopher Nolan, thank you, a million thank yous.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 10:48 AM   #628
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Hans Zimmer composed a piece of music as a tribute to those lost in Aurora.
Old July 28 2012, 11:15 AM   #629
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Thank you for sharing that. Gorgeous piece of music.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 04:05 PM   #630
flavaflav
Commander

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
John's arc...especially the end...reminds me a little of Terry McGuiness as well.
bingo. this is exactly why I liked John's arc so much. I was definitely getting the McGuiness vibe the whole time... and having the Batman Beyond car flying around helped too.

edit: just wanted to add that something else I dug in the movie was how Ra's summoned his inner Qui-Gon to commune with Bruce! Ra's = not dead
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote