RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 505
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 27 2012, 08:08 PM   #211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Scotty wrote: View Post
Just watched The Last Outpost (I'm planning to watch just one episode a day). Another great episode that looks and sounds superb. I love how the sound of Portal's energyfield travels through all the speakers. The 7.1 mixes really do add something (when they're authored correctly). Great job.
Yeah I'm doing the same one-a-day thing too.

One other thing I really liked in Last Outpost was the conference room scene, where they attempted to show the light from the sun moving across the room over time.

It's a shame they didn't continue to do that, because it really gave a sense that this was a real ship in space and not just a studio set.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 10:34 PM   #212
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Update from Digital Bits

All right, I do have a quick update for you today on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray 7.1 audio issue. CBS has investigated, they're in the process of correcting the problem and we expect to have an official statement from them very soon on how they're going to handle it with consumers.

Now... here's something important: For those of you who may be experiencing audio sync issues with the Dolby Digital audio on the extra features on the TNG BDs, check your Blu-ray player settings. Some people are reporting problems and others aren't. It appears NOT to be a player model issue or an actual problem on the discs, but rather inconsistencies in the way people have their players setup. I've done some experiments with our demo system here at The Bits, and essentially what's happening is the more work your Blu-ray player is having to do in terms of processing the video and the audio signal, the more delay between audio and video appears when watching the extras. So if you have a very good display, set your player simply to deliver the video signal without extra processing and let your display do all the work of video processing. Conversely, if you have a high-end A/V receiver, let the receiver do all the heavy-lifting with the audio decoding. In our test system, sure enough when we overworked the player (two different models - Oppo and Panasonic) a significant audio delay appeared. When we restored the proper settings, the problem cleared up. Give that a shot and spread the word when you hear others having similar problems with audio sync on the extras. That at least is NOT a problem with the discs. I should note that setting your player settings in this manner is just a good idea in general - after all, the reason you buy high-quality displays (flat screens or projectors) and A/V receivers is that they have the extra muscle to do the work in delivering the reference video and audio quality you want.
Old July 28 2012, 12:19 AM   #213
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Don't really understand the second part of the message on the Bits. My A/V set is pretty normal. It works for 99,9% of the titles I play on it. Furthermore, both the video and audio is fed into my receiver to minimise delay. I shouldn't be having the problems, so it must be a fault on the discs.
Old July 28 2012, 12:42 AM   #214
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Scotty wrote: View Post
Don't really understand the second part of the message on the Bits. My A/V set is pretty normal. It works for 99,9% of the titles I play on it. Furthermore, both the video and audio is fed into my receiver to minimise delay. I shouldn't be having the problems, so it must be a fault on the discs.
Sounds like CBS is trying to minimize the public backlash by blaming some issues on equipment.
Old July 28 2012, 01:22 AM   #215
NewHorizon
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sounds like CBS is trying to minimize the public backlash by blaming some issues on equipment.
Indeed, and while it may very well solve the issue in most cases it doesn't explain why the people experiencing it have not had the same problem with other Blurays. What did CBS do differently in the authoring process to make these Blurays so much more resource intensive than all the others out there?

In any case, I'm extremely happy to hear that they are correcting the major issues and look forward to getting corrected discs. My set will be delivered on Tuesday.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 03:19 AM   #216
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I don't get the second part, I dont have to adjust any settings for any of my other blu rays. I am watching the extras on disc 1, and the voice is slightly out of sync with the picture.

I think the Bit's second piece of advice is a load of crap

-Chris
Old July 28 2012, 04:14 AM   #217
ATimson
Rear Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
I don't get the second part, I dont have to adjust any settings for any of my other blu rays. I am watching the extras on disc 1, and the voice is slightly out of sync with the picture.

I think the Bit's second piece of advice is a load of crap
It's not a problem for everyone, so it's not a problem with the discs. And they were able to reproduce player settings causing the problem to appear.

It sounds like a well-reasoned evaluation of the situation, not "a load of crap".

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 04:17 AM   #218
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

So, it looks like in Australia, S1 has been recalled and has a new release date of September 5th:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=189238&page=3

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/d...blu-ray/668847

Looks like this will hopefully be resolved in a few weeks.
Old July 28 2012, 04:44 AM   #219
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I certainly hope they've done a thorough testing now of all the audio. How could they do that in 3 days? The Bits previously only mentioned the LCR mixing errors, but not the other audio problems noted by many on other episodes. I sure hope they've covered everything.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 04:50 AM   #220
LastRideOut
Ensign

The .srt subtitles can be found here now.

http://subscene.com/subtitles/star-t...english/605439

I did notice that the "Naked Now" subtitles (both the blu-ray subtitle and the .srt file) are delayed slightly, by 500 milliseconds. I've corrected it in my own .srt file that is muxed into that episode, but the subscene .srt is unaltered, and original.
LastRideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 05:35 AM   #221
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
So, it looks like in Australia, S1 has been recalled and has a new release date of September 5th:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=189238&page=3

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/d...blu-ray/668847

Looks like this will hopefully be resolved in a few weeks.

Hmm on one hand im glad we will get a correct release, on the other im annoyed I have to wait. I was hoping to get through it whilst on annual leave.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 08:50 AM   #222
GNDN
Commodore

Despite all the problems reported, Season 1 LOOKS absolutely amazing. Some of the stories may be weaker than later seasons, but the cinematography and mystery of the show comes across as much closer to classic Star Trek than later seasons.

I'm actually looking forward to several Season one eps and many Season two eps than later seasons once the storytelling is more refined (and the visuals and music are far more restrained and pedestrian) This hi def presentation has given me, and hopefully many other fans a renewed respect and appreciation for the early, risk-taking style of TNG
Old July 28 2012, 10:57 AM   #223
NewHorizon
Captain

It's not a problem for everyone, so it's not a problem with the discs. And they were able to reproduce player settings causing the problem to appear.

It sounds like a well-reasoned evaluation of the situation, not "a load of crap".
It may be a viable work around, but it still doesn't explain why people are only experiencing issues with these discs but not others in their collection. So while it may not appear to be an issue with the discs in your eyes, there is clearly something different about the way these discs were made. If someone with a decent knowledge of their hardware, and a collection of fifty discs is only experiencing a problem with this one, then it would indicate that the discs are not quite 'correct'. Given the other problems, I think it's a safe bet they did something different that makes the discs much more resource intensive than others.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 11:00 AM   #224
Scotty
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post

It "might not be a problem for everyone", but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Loads of people, even on this forum, hadn't noticed the audio problems on EaF because they don't have a home cinema set and are just listening on their tv speakers. The problem should still be audible then, but most people don't hear it and don't care. I think a small audio synch problem on the extras goes unnoticed by a lot of people. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

And even if it is true that some players have synch issues and others don't, CBS should've made sure that NO players had synch issues.
Old July 28 2012, 11:01 AM   #225
Scotty
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

I doubt the solution came from CBS. It just Bill Hunt trying to be helpful.