Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 27 2012, 02:45 PM   #196
Nighthawk
Ensign

View Nighthawk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Nighthawk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nighthawk Send a message via Yahoo to Nighthawk
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I noticed with the Blue Ray set as well not sure if any one else also touched on it.

To me the Audio is out of sync with the video by a few seconds.

Either you see mouths moving a few milliseconds (data speak) and then you hear the dialog.

Or the dialog starts and then the mouths move.

I have a Samsung Blue Ray and Sound bar with wireless sub woffer.

My TV is the first generation Samsung LCD 32 inch TV and have never encountered this issue before watching Blue Rays or DVDs.

I am going to try and reach CBS customer support regarding this and the audio issues.
co@ussiwojima.net
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 03:03 PM   #197
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nighthawk wrote: View Post
I noticed with the Blue Ray set as well not sure if any one else also touched on it.

Either you see mouths moving a few milliseconds (data speak) and then you hear the dialog.

My TV is the first generation Samsung LCD 32 inch TV and have never encountered this issue before watching Blue Rays or DVDs.

I am going to try and reach CBS customer support regarding this and the audio issues.
Have you tried turning the sound bar off and watching through the TV speakers? I'm nearing disc five and haven't noticed any audio sync issues in the episodes themselves.
Old July 27 2012, 06:05 PM   #198
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Just watched The Last Outpost (I'm planning to watch just one episode a day). Another great episode that looks and sounds superb. I love how the sound of Portal's energyfield travels through all the speakers. The 7.1 mixes really do add something (when they're authored correctly). Great job.
Old July 27 2012, 06:36 PM   #199
trekker670
Captain

I'm almost through disc 2 and I've noticed that so far all of the SD content (episodic promos and the 2 intro features) are all appearing in wide-screen for me. I couldn't tell you if it's being stretched or zoomed, but the settings on my TV are fine for everything else. Has anyone else experienced this? My instinct is that it's just a setting on my TV or bluray player, but I can't seem to find where...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:51 PM   #200
ATimson
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I'm almost through disc 2 and I've noticed that so far all of the SD content (episodic promos and the 2 intro features) are all appearing in wide-screen for me. I couldn't tell you if it's being stretched or zoomed, but the settings on my TV are fine for everything else. Has anyone else experienced this? My instinct is that it's just a setting on my TV or bluray player, but I can't seem to find where...
The promos and the intro features appeared in 4:3 for me.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:52 PM   #201
zephramc
Commodore

Mine does the same. I get fullscreen (16:9) for the SD promos and 4:3 for the HD episodes. There may be something that could be (re)set, but it doesn't really bother me.

As far as my nitpicks, I watched The Last Outpost last night and it looks like one scene out of the episode isn't in true HD and appears to be upconverted SD. The scene is immediately following the away team's transport to the planet where Riker is separated from the group. The part where he yells "anybooooddddyyyyy" and is on the ledge overlooking the canyon looks "fuzzy". Did anyone else notice this, or is it only me?
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:55 PM   #202
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

zephramc wrote: View Post
Mine does the same. I get fullscreen (16:9) for the SD promos and 4:3 for the HD episodes. There may be something that could be (re)set, but it doesn't really bother me.

As far as my nitpicks, I watched The Last Outpost last night and it looks like one scene out of the episode isn't in true HD and appears to be upconverted SD. The scene is immediately following the away team's transport to the planet where Riker is separated from the group. The part where he yells "anybooooddddyyyyy" and is on the ledge overlooking the canyon looks "fuzzy". Did anyone else notice this, or is it only me?
Could just be the quality of the effects shot. I've noticed scenes here and there that look "grainy," or "filmy." Doesn't bother me much.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:55 PM   #203
Harvey
Admiral

That was discussed in the other thread. I believe the shot was created by shooting in widescreen and then pan-and-scanning the image in post-production, which accounts for the reduced image quality.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:56 PM   #204
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

You also could have a way of adjusting your speakers to compensate for any lag or delay.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 06:59 PM   #205
trekker670
Captain

BriGuy wrote: View Post

You also could have a way of adjusting your speakers to compensate for any lag or delay.
I know my BluRay player has a AV Sync setting that allows you to adjust the audio and video synchronization by a second or two, I have a Sony btw.
Old July 27 2012, 07:05 PM   #206
senten
Ensign

Mine does the same. I get fullscreen (16:9) for the SD promos and 4:3 for the HD episodes.
I think I can explain this. The SD promos are stored on the disc in 480p (720x480). This is a 4:3 resolution. Your TV detects this and stretches/zooms/whatever to 16:9.

For the episodes themselves, the files are 1080p, and the resolution is 1920x1080. This is 16:9. The left and right of the image have black bars. (See here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/exclu...Farpoint15.jpg ) Most TV's will see the content as being 16:9 (which it is, technically) and not alter it. The black bars on the left and right are stored as part of the video image itself.

Hope that makes sense.

The part where he yells "anybooooddddyyyyy" and is on the ledge overlooking the canyon looks "fuzzy". Did anyone else notice this, or is it only me?
Yes, I've noticed that on some scenes also. I also noticed the same issue in Code of Honor, when Yar is showing the holodeck to Lutan. If I remember right, it's just at the start of the scene where they walk onto the holodeck. Seems to have much less detail than normal. Just for a few seconds, the camera shot changes then and it's back to normal detail.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, maybe I shouldn't double post, but there's an issue with the audio on my setup on episode 11, Haven. (Seems to be seperate from the previously reported issues). From 28 minutes on, there's a noticeable echo on the audio. Anyone else notice this?
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 07:08 PM   #207
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

I'm watching "Haven" right now and wow that echoing sound in the 7.1 Soundoption that starts when the Holodeckscence begins is really annoying. I had to switch to the stereo sound. It's really sad that this great set is being brought down by these sound issues so much.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 07:08 PM   #208
trekker670
Captain

I'm not sure if I'm just crazy, but I've noticed a few times while watching episodes where there are bluescreen shots (for example, Picard standing in front the viewscreen on the bridge or Data sitting in front on the conference room windows) that their outlines look to have been softened as if to hide some of the overfill from the bluescreen and/or cover up mistakes in the rotoscoping. It does make the VFX shots stand out a bit more, but it's not a big deal for me, it's just something I've noticed and wanted to see if anyone else had as well.
Old July 27 2012, 07:15 PM   #209
trekker670
Captain

[QUOTE=senten;6708053]
The part where he yells "anybooooddddyyyyy" and is on the ledge overlooking the canyon looks "fuzzy". Did anyone else notice this, or is it only me?
Yes, I've noticed that on some scenes also. I also noticed the same issue in Code of Honor, when Yar is showing the holodeck to Lutan. If I remember right, it's just at the start of the scene where they walk onto the holodeck. Seems to have much less detail than normal. Just for a few seconds, the camera shot changes then and it's back to normal detail.
I think this has been discussed previously in one of these threads. I believe it's due to the use of a digital zoom. If you recall, in EaF in the shot where Q freezes the guy on the bridge they replaced the shot with a wider angle, presumably because the original effect was a digital zoom that became blurry. I believe this is the same thing, but instead of replacing the shot with the wider angle, they restored the zoom. Whether this was the best choice is debatable, depending on if you prefer a strict restoration of the original product or a liberal remastering for a better viewing experience.
Old July 27 2012, 07:40 PM   #210
zephramc
Commodore

senten wrote: View Post
Mine does the same. I get fullscreen (16:9) for the SD promos and 4:3 for the HD episodes.
I think I can explain this. The SD promos are stored on the disc in 480p (720x480). This is a 4:3 resolution. Your TV detects this and stretches/zooms/whatever to 16:9.

For the episodes themselves, the files are 1080p, and the resolution is 1920x1080. This is 16:9. The left and right of the image have black bars. (See here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/exclu...Farpoint15.jpg ) Most TV's will see the content as being 16:9 (which it is, technically) and not alter it. The black bars on the left and right are stored as part of the video image itself.

Hope that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote