Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 26 2012, 03:41 PM   #4471
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
If you told a police officer that someone has stolen your DVD collection, they'd open a case file and investigate it. If you told them someone has made copies of all your DVDs, they'd laugh at you and tell you to stop wasting their time.
They'd probably open a case file so that you could claim on your insurance. As for investigating the crime, they'd probably laugh at you for expecting that as well. It would cut too much into their doughnut-eating time.
Old July 26 2012, 06:12 PM   #4472
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Wait, you guys don't put your DVD collection on a rider on your insurance like I do?

Those black panels covering up glares on the aft bridge stations are very much more noticeable now. I guess now we need some fan-wank explanation on how these things are functional pieces of equipment on the Enterprise in its first couple years.
Old July 26 2012, 06:57 PM   #4473
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Selected "English" for the language (Dammit! I hate this!)
When I put my Spartacus BDs in the player, it asks me if I want to resume my Play All from where I left off months ago. Why can't TNG remember a language selection?
Old July 26 2012, 07:16 PM   #4474
davejames
Vice Admiral

Those black panels covering up glares on the aft bridge stations are very much more noticeable now. I guess now we need some fan-wank explanation on how these things are functional pieces of equipment on the Enterprise in its first couple years.
Maybe those stations were just under repair. What with all the sparks we see back there during battles and everything.
Old July 26 2012, 07:18 PM   #4475
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Maybe those stations were just under repair. What with all the sparks we see back there during battles and everything.
Funny, I'm just about through disc four and I haven't noticed them yet.
Old July 26 2012, 09:23 PM   #4476
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I was thinking more like they're used by staff to cover up annoying bits or distracting flashes on the screen while they're working.

Funny, I'm just about through disc four and I haven't noticed them yet.
Well, I may be noticing them more because "I know they're there," so I'm subconsciously looking for them and then finding them.
Old July 26 2012, 09:56 PM   #4477
Ghostface1701
Commander

Maybe they're small PADDs that crew members can attach to displays to augment them, or transfer data?
Old July 27 2012, 06:12 AM   #4478
JJ-R
Ensign

Terrific and lengthy interview with Robert Meyer Burnett here.

Highlights include:
- his determination to make exhaustive, probing documentaries, not the EPK-type featurettes that were on the DVDs.
- Patrick Stewart saying it was one of the best interviews he'd ever given.
- a bunch of never-before-seen photos will be included in the later docos, including Ronald Reagan visiting the set and the cast at the White House to meet the Mercury 7 astronauts.
- deleted scenes and alternate takes will be few and far between, as they were routinely discarded.

There's not much more new information, but it's worth reading to get an even greater sense of the passion that's behind this project.
Old July 27 2012, 09:59 AM   #4479
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

captrek wrote: View Post
When I put my Spartacus BDs in the player, it asks me if I want to resume my Play All from where I left off months ago. Why can't TNG remember a language selection?
With my TNG and DS9 DVDs, it often defaults to the start of the last episode I watched, and switches to German language! Not every time, though, weirdly. It takes me a while to realise what's wrong with everyone's voice!

JJ-R wrote: View Post
Terrific and lengthy interview with Robert Meyer Burnett here.
Linky no worky. Try this:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/48...tt/index1.html
Old July 27 2012, 10:00 AM   #4480
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Maybe they're small PADDs that crew members can attach to displays to augment them, or transfer data?
Section 31 have censored the recording to protect sensitive Starfleet and Federation information.
Old July 27 2012, 10:15 AM   #4481
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

The next video in our TNG: SD to HD series is up! 'Encounter at Farpoint, Part 2': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxawPX5lHbs
Old July 27 2012, 01:32 PM   #4482
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

deleted scenes and alternate takes will be few and far between, as they were routinely discarded.

There's not much more new information, but it's worth reading to get an even greater sense of the passion that's behind this project.
The new interviews are great - exactly the sort of thing that should have been on the DVDs.

Not quite sure I understand the deleted scenes in the archives though.

If they have to search for all the correct footage, surely that implies there's the wrong footage in there too.

Otherwise they could just digitise the whole archive - after all they'd need it all done eventually!
Old July 27 2012, 02:30 PM   #4483
trekker670
Captain

Rarewolf wrote: View Post

deleted scenes and alternate takes will be few and far between, as they were routinely discarded.

The new interviews are great - exactly the sort of thing that should have been on the DVDs.

Not quite sure I understand the deleted scenes in the archives though.

If they have to search for all the correct footage, surely that implies there's the wrong footage in there too.

Otherwise they could just digitise the whole archive - after all they'd need it all done eventually!
I think what he's saying is that they didn't save all of the dailies, which is as expected because that would be a lot of footage when really they only need a small fraction of it, so they could save on storage and shipping costs. I think this project would be a LOT bigger if they had to scan through all the footage that was filmed for a given episode to find the right take. It seems like, in many cases, what they have are brief segments of footage already cut that they then just scan in and arrange. If you look at the documentaries so far, they show a lot of boxes with a few small reels of film. Also remember that the stuff they're missing is often just very short cuts (13 and 2 seconds long), which lends towards the theory that they only kept what they needed and don't just have all of a given day's film in a single reel.

I could very well be wrong, but that's just the impression/instinct that I have.
Old July 27 2012, 03:04 PM   #4484
trekker670
Captain

I found this part particularly interesting

Well what I'll say is the two biggest hurdles were because the show is shot on film and the visual effects: such as the ship shots, some of them had ten different passes because you would do a beauty pass, you'll do a warp nacelle pass, you'll do a window pass, a deflector pass. Some of those elements had shrunk and they had not shrunk all at the same rate, so in order to keep the registration on the various elements they had to use computer technology to stabilize, so all of the elements would go together correctly for a lot of the ship shots and that was a massive effort that for people like compositor Eric Bruno at CBS Digital spent days and weeks making sure that was done.
And they've confirmed that they're committed to do all 7 seasons, so sales of any given season shouldn't affect the restoration of the others. He also stated that the purpose CBS Television, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount are paying for this is to future-proof the show, so I would call it safe to assume that the other series will most likely get the treatment as well, but again it depends on the sales of these sets.
Old July 27 2012, 05:17 PM   #4485
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, that pic in the interview really threw me for a second. I've never noticed before that Tasha was wearing a different uniform at the end of Farpoint:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_916.jpg
Closed Thread