Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26 2012, 09:35 PM   #556
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

sojourner wrote: View Post
To continue, we do have fusion reactors that work. Lots of them.

This is genuinely surprising news to me. Where are they?

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 10:14 PM   #557
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
First of all, I think it's worth remembering that this is not necessarily supposed the be the exact Batman from the comics, so I think we should look at this from the perspective of the movies along.
And I don't think Bruce left because he thought Gotham didn't need him anymore. He left because he didn't need Gotham.
And it's pretty clear he didn't think things were that great in Gotham now, he did leave Blake in charge of the cave. I think if he really thought Gotham was going to be fine without a guardian he would have destroyed the cave, not left it active with a new person in control.
Well obviously he didn't end up being the Batman of the comics, but it still appeared in the first two movies that he was headed in that direction.
Not really. Firstly, Bruce makes it a point in BBegins to call Batman a symbol (and he returns to that idea in TDKR, telling Blake, "Batman is a symbol. He could be anyone. That's the whole point of Batman.")- that's a far cry from the preferred interpretation in the comics and animated series where Bruce thinks of himself as Batman first and everything else second. In Nolan's universe, he doesn't consider Batman anything but a tool to fulfill Bruce Wayne's goals.

Secondly, in The Dark Knight his entire goal is to protect Harvey Dent so that Gotham can have "a hero with a face", and he can hang up the cape and be with Rachel.

So he wasn't headed in the direction of being the Batman from the comics at all.

And it certainly seemed to be the intention that this would be the most faithful depiction of the character we've ever seen.
Faithful to what? Batman has had many interpretations over the years, and only a few of them have been the fully obsessed, I'll die before I take off the cape, I am the night Batman.

Nolan certainly picked up the tone of his universe from that interpretation, but his take on the character's goals has always been very different.

I get that this is supposed to be Batman's last story, and that's something I was really looking forward to seeing. I just don't buy that it would ever end up being this "happy and wonderful", or that he'd be so easily cured of his obsession with helping the innocent and avenging his parents' death.
Nolan's Batman is not doing this to avenge his parents' deaths. He wanted to murder Joe Chill to avenge their deaths and was denied that - he explains that to Ra's while in training. I could even argue that Nolan's Batman is not obsessed with helping the innocent - he's actually obsessed with death, first his parents', then Rachel's. What feels weird about TDKR is that his reaction to Rachel's death is the opposite of his reaction to his parents - their deaths spurred him to action, hers shut him down. It would have been more effective to explore that a little, indicate that he felt fully responsible for Rachel's death because his activity as Batman unleashed the insanity of the Joker, who had been merely a two-bit operator before. That he quit because he'd done the opposite of what he'd wanted to do - inspired death instead of hope. That theme skirts around the edges of TDKR, but is never developed.
Old July 26 2012, 10:28 PM   #558
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I actually enjoyed this movie more than the last one. Here, I said it.

Sue me.
Old July 26 2012, 10:42 PM   #559
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Well, I loved The Dark Knight but I really enjoyed Rises too. I'm not sure yet if it's better that TDK yet...I need to see it again to figure that out.

Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman...
Old July 26 2012, 11:09 PM   #560
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've seen in twice now and the second time things seemed to draw on even longer. Likely cause I wasn't waiting for any reveals, hanging on every speech for a clue as to what happens next. The things that don't make any sense don't get any better.

I guess to wrap this up like Nolan wanted to do he had to circle back to League of Shadows. The LOS was never referenced in TDK which for me makes returning them a bit meh. It'll be like circling back to the Ten Rings when no mention was made in IM2, despite the implication they were there. Would it have been so tough to toss out a LOS reference in TDK?

That said I did like having a very faithful, near perfect adaptation of Bane (stupid breather mask aside) and his stories the past 20yrs come to the screen. Nice that Talia is also finally introduced to the masses from his Rogues gallery.
Yet, I'm saddened we never got a Riddler, Penguin, Black Mask or Croc showing in a Nolan film.

It's still a solid film, I'll own it but it's not a go to film. I can't say I enjoy them.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 11:23 PM   #561
RoJoHen
Awesome

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I guess to wrap this up like Nolan wanted to do he had to circle back to League of Shadows. The LOS was never referenced in TDK which for me makes returning them a bit meh. It'll be like circling back to the Ten Rings when no mention was made in IM2, despite the implication they were there. Would it have been so tough to toss out a LOS reference in TDK?
This was an issue for me as well. Aside from the bits with evil Harvey Dent, TDK may as well have not happened. TDKR was far more a direct sequel to Batman Begins; I feel like the whole Joker story may as well have not happened. While it is arguably the best of the series, TDK doesn't really fit in with the other two movies.
Old July 27 2012, 12:20 AM   #562
davejames
Vice Admiral

That said I did like having a very faithful, near perfect adaptation of Bane (stupid breather mask aside) and his stories the past 20yrs come to the screen.
It was definitely a good adaptation of the character... but I still don't know if Bane's really a worthy enough villain to be Batman's big, final opponent.

Beyond the physical thing I just didn't find him all that interesting here.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:21 AM   #563
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Yet, I'm saddened we never got a Riddler, Penguin, Black Mask or Croc showing in a Nolan film.
Croc? In na NOLAN film? You may as well throw in Mr. Freeze, while you're at it. Played by Arnold.
Old July 27 2012, 12:29 AM   #564
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This was an issue for me as well. Aside from the bits with evil Harvey Dent, TDK may as well have not happened. TDKR was far more a direct sequel to Batman Begins; I feel like the whole Joker story may as well have not happened. .
Well, aside from Rachel dying . . . and Batman being blamed for Dent's murder . . .
Old July 27 2012, 12:33 AM   #565
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Guartho wrote: View Post
Nowhere. He probably thought of fission reactors.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:42 AM   #566
Snaploud
Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Guartho wrote: View Post
Nowhere. He probably thought of fission reactors.
Fusion reactors exist. They're just not very useful. Up until now, they've all consumed more energy than they've produced.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:47 AM   #567
scnj
Captain

This was an issue for me as well. Aside from the bits with evil Harvey Dent, TDK may as well have not happened. TDKR was far more a direct sequel to Batman Begins; I feel like the whole Joker story may as well have not happened. While it is arguably the best of the series, TDK doesn't really fit in with the other two movies.
But Joker's big plan involved breaking Harvey Dent. Joker's story is integral.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:54 AM   #568
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I still think of "Bruce dies" at the Occam's Razor ending. It's the simplest solution to what's seen on screen. You don't have to invent a scenario to explain how Bruce escapes the explosion that doesn't make the narrative as shown a lie.
It's a movie. The reality of physics doesn't matter. He survived by bailing out, and it's not really important how or if that would be possible in the real world (since plenty of other things that happen in this movie series are similarly impossible).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:55 AM   #569
DWF
Vice Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
But Joker's big plan involved breaking Harvey Dent. Joker's story is integral.
Funny how the Joker tried to kill Dent after he admitted to being Batman.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 01:02 AM   #570
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Fusion reactors exist. They're just not very useful. Up until now, they've all consumed more energy than they've produced.
Let's just call them fusion test devices. They're still a long shot from a working reactor that can sustain fusion reactions for more than a second.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote