Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 13 2012, 01:23 PM   #376
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Buffy season nine discussion thread

Dark Horse: Joss Whedon goes this evening. I'm assuming that Joss will discuss Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season Nine and Angel and Faith. I'm not sure if there is an addition Scott Allie panel/presentation but then I'm been behind on my SDCC tracking LOL.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 08:04 AM   #377
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Here is the Dark Horse: Joss Whedon presentation. Kind of a bit of everything here, didn't really focus or discuss anything specific to Season Nine or Angel and Faith. He was asked if he would be writing any issues, and he basically said he trusts those who have already been writing (so I gather that was a no, he's really busy right now lol). When asked about more Fray, he replied "Ummm...sure." and mentioned that she was very much part of the universe now (referring to the crossover no doubt from last season). I hope this means we could get more Fray. I really enjoyed the five parter last year. He also confirmed more Firefly/Serenity comics and talked briefly about the sequel to "Dr. Horrible".

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc...ss-whedon.html

Old July 26 2012, 07:45 PM   #378
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Just finished reading Angel and Faith #12..."Family Reunion" has been awesome so far. As I stated last issue, this crossover has felt most like an episode of the series. Connor takes centre stage as we learn about his time in Quor'toth (yeah I probably spelled that wrong) and the cliffhanger was awesome! This is finally starting to get really good again.

Old July 27 2012, 01:19 AM   #379
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Just finished reading Angel and Faith #12..."Family Reunion" has been awesome so far. As I stated last issue, this crossover has felt most like an episode of the series. Connor takes centre stage as we learn about his time in Quor'toth (yeah I probably spelled that wrong) and the cliffhanger was awesome! This is finally starting to get really good again.
Who knew when we watched the show that Connor would one day be the most likeable and most responsible character in the cast of Angel, Willow and Faith?

So if Connor's family has lost their fake memories, does that also mean that the Scoobies have lost their fake memories of Dawn? What about Dawn herself? Did she keep her own fake memories or does she also remember them as a movie she saw? I suppose not, since that would be even weirder/more traumatic, and she's seemed normal.

With Willow's warning about people becoming a darker version of themselves in Quor'toth, I bet we'll see something like that with Angel, Willow (who's totally bullshitting when she says her magic is protecting her from that - WTF? Since when does it work that way, magic certainly didn't protect her from darkness before!) and Faith... Lots of potential for conflict! It's good to see Faith express doubts in Angel's behavior instead of blindly worhiping him, but why doesn't she just tell him that to his face, instead of looking for allies and gossiping about him? And the Connor/Angel relationship is far too harmonious now - something bad is bound to happen soon!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 01:32 AM   #380
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think there was a cover with a tease of Dark Willow right? Faith has told her problems that she has about his plan to his face, in the first arc, he ignored her and dismissed those problems. He's also asked her to trust him several times, and she has...but it's clear she doesn't. She hasn't exactly been able to confide in anyone about this until Willow. What does one do when you confront the person and they don't listen?

Old August 2 2012, 06:23 PM   #381
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Interview with Chambliss and Gage.
Old August 10 2012, 09:13 AM   #382
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Meh. I'm now starting to feel like the rest of you in the thread who have given up. issue twelve was uninteresting. At least with last season we had a direction that we were constantly moving forward towards. This we started somewhere, but now we've kind of lost track of that focus it seems. Angel and Faith is a whole lot more entertaining right now.

Old August 10 2012, 02:34 PM   #383
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Count me in as lost interest too. I flicked through Buffy #11 last week in the comic store, and looked at the last page... the big revelation was "we work for Wolfram & Hart."

...erm, we already knew that thanks to the solicitations and issue info. Rubbish. And then there was a big queue so I didn't bother buying it.
Enjoyed A&F #11, but I'd heard #12 was a letdown as well so didn't even looking for that.

With only 25 issues instead of s8's 40 you'd think things might actually happen sooner. The first 10 of A&F just seemed to keep going round and round with the same old schtick, and while I enjoyed Buffy s9 at first, the whole Buffy robot double thing was just awful.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 12:35 PM   #384
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Issue 12 was the dullest, most uneventful issue so far.

I'm not a big fan of Angel & Faith either - it's just Gage trying to throw in as many possible guest spots by Buffyverse characters, which obviously gets people happy (as opposed to the Buffy book losing more and more main characters), but when you look past that, nothing of note has actually happened there either. Add to that that the annoying attempts to retcon/ignore the implications of Angel's actions in season 8 has been , and the characterization of Angel which is so bland and cardboard. They've been doing their best to focus on Angel killing Giles (something he did while possessed), instead of everything else he did prior to that (and which lead to that), and I get the impression that we're supposed to just take from all this that Angel is so noble for feeling guilty. At the moment I'm not sure which is worse and blander, the characterization of Buffy in her book or Angel in his.

And what about the "social commentary" - first we get a stab at the Kardashians and similar celebrities in A&F with Harmony's issue, now in the latest issue of Buffy we get a stab at Facebook... Bleh, how deep and edgy.

It's been a long time since I've actually loved an issue of either book. Let's hope that things pick up, or that the Spike and Willow minis are better than this.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old August 13 2012, 05:35 PM   #385
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah the creation of "Tincan" should have been fun and engaging yet it felt like a forced "social commentary" that was dragged out and felt irrelevant. I think this season is suffering from not having top notch guest writers like last season did. There is something missing from this season as I mentioned before. It's not as entertaining. Hopefully that will change...but it's kind of been in a lag at this point.

Old August 23 2012, 05:27 PM   #386
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Just finished reading the first issue of Spike, and it's fantastic. The art is great and the writing is awesome...who knew the guy responsible for the disaster that was Curse of the Mutants last year could write this good? I'll be following this.

Old August 24 2012, 01:20 PM   #387
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a really nice issue. It's hard to judge how good the entire arc would be until we read the rest of the issues, but it's a nice beginning. Spike is well written; I love the bugs and the writing for them is really funny, and it was great to see Spike protective of them.

So far, the writer seems to get Spike; I knew he said he was a fan, but being a fan of the character doesn't mean you will write them well (see: Brian Lynch, many fanfic writers) but Gischler seems to be doing a rather good job so far. Certainly better than Chambliss and Allie have been doing writing Buffy, or Gage has been doing writing Angel, though that may be jumping the gun, judging by just one issue. (I thought Angel & Faith would be great and an honest exploration of Angel's character mistakes after the first issue *sigh*). The art is lovely and Spike looks like himself (I wouldn't say that Buffy's book has been bad an that account, but it has been hit and miss; Jeanty in particular can draw Spike really well in some panels but awfully in others. Sometimes he draws Spike in a really ugly way and sometimes he makes him look 14-year old.)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old August 30 2012, 10:55 AM   #388
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Angel and Faith #13 was another great issue...once again these last two issues have actually felt like they were episodes of the show, also a little bit of a surprise as we find out that Whistler was behind the whole Twilight thing and is on a quest himself to make it still happen if I understood his conversation with Giles Aunts (who are my new favourite characters! I would have loved to seen them in the show!). Whistler is also working with or employing the two demon kids we've seen this season. The cliffhanger for this issue, while expected, was still pretty awesome. This book is finally getting good again, and I didn't even mention the great little quips between Angel and Faith all issue either until now!

Old August 30 2012, 08:39 PM   #389
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

^ We already knew that Whistler was behind it/supporting and still trying to make it happen in the very first issue of Angel & Faith.

I'd never thought I'd say that before the comics, but Whistler is making every issue he appears in more interesting. He's become a lot more interesting as a character since he was revealed to be a villain - though, of course, he wouldn't consider himself one. He's a "balance demon", which means that when evil is strong, he helps the good, but when good is strong, he helps evil... and in any case, doesn't seem to care about individual humans one bit - if a bunch of them have to die for the universe to 'evolve', so be it. Though he and Pearl and Nash weren't nearly as creepy here as in issue 1.

The part in Quor'toth was, surprisingly, dull by comparison. Instead of bringing out the darkness, the place seems to have made everyone want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Faith constantly telling Angel he's awesome and shouldn't feel bad about anything has gotten really old, and Connor and Angel are nauseatingly sweet and nice to each other these days, so much that it almost makes me wish Connor was still screwed up and hated Angel as he did pre-season 5, since that dynamic was a lot more interesting. I hope the next issue will change that and bring some conflict.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 11 2012, 03:56 AM   #390
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This should be interesting.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gay-...ffy-comic.html