RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 825
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 19 2012, 10:30 PM   #76
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: TIL...

^The good thing about it is that at least now I know what to look for! I swear, the first reaction of any woman being taught to do a breast self exam is, "But it's all lumps!"

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 10:35 PM   #77
Zion Ravescene
''You brought me here...''

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^The good thing about it is that at least now I know what to look for! I swear, the first reaction of any woman being taught to do a breast self exam is, "But it's all lumps!"
Pretty much the same reaction I had when I was taught the breast exam as a student. They do teach us what to look for in the history and examination, and after a while and lots of practice, eventually I did get a better grasp of the subject.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 10:45 PM   #78
Gary7
Rear Admiral

What I get most frustrated about with myself is when I learn a lesson... and then remember I'd already learned that lesson not once, not twice, but a handful of times.

Never, I repeat never, hold a bunch of things in your hand, with one of them fragile enough to break if dropped, and then go about doing something without thinking about what may drop. I had the sugar bowl with lid and two narrow cans of tea in my hand as I tried to move some mugs around to reach a green tea whisk behind them. My hand tilted forward enough that the lid slid off and plummeted down to the hard tiled floor, resulting in a shattered mess. Why didn't I put it down first?
Old July 20 2012, 12:44 AM   #79
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Today I learned that...

they won't do a mammogram on you if you're younger than 35 without doing a sono first
Interesting. I'm used to the opposite direction. As an over-35-year-old, I've had a couple breast sonograms as follow-ups to iffy mammograms.

I hope the evaluation by the surgeon confirms that it is absolutely nothing of concern, TSQ.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 01:07 AM   #80
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Pretty much the same reaction I had when I was taught the breast exam as a student. They do teach us what to look for in the history and examination, and after a while and lots of practice, eventually I did get a better grasp of the subject.
A good grasp on the subject is ideal when examining her breasts.
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Today I learned that...

they won't do a mammogram on you if you're younger than 35 without doing a sono first
Interesting. I'm used to the opposite direction. As an over-35-year-old, I've had a couple breast sonograms as follow-ups to iffy mammograms.

I hope the evaluation by the surgeon confirms that it is absolutely nothing of concern, TSQ.
Yeah, I didn't know about this either until I called to schedule an appointment for a mammogram. I don't know if the surgeon will want to order a mammogram, and to be honest, I'm a bit scared of the mammogram. It's strange, as I've never been frightened of medical procedures, and have endured hundreds of them...some even painful. I was in the hospital practically as often as out between the ages of 2 and 10, after all. But the thought of a mammogram gives me a lot of anxiety, especially as I wasn't thinking I'd have to dea with one for another ten or twenty years!

View my art!
Old July 20 2012, 01:18 AM   #81
Zion Ravescene

A good grasp on the subject is ideal when examining her breasts.
Absolutely. Knowing what to look for, such as the features of cancerous tumours, cysts, abscesses, benign lumps, skin and lymph node involvement, and... oh, wait. I see... Oh my.

Old July 24 2012, 03:27 AM   #82
trampledamage
Clone

Today I learned that a unit of alcohol in Ireland is bigger than a unit of alcohol in the UK.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 05:31 AM   #83
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Today, I learned that lidocaine injections burn like a MOTHER !
Old July 24 2012, 07:10 AM   #84
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Learned today that it's probably not the best idea to eat leftover pizza and then follow it up with some pudding half an hour later.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:44 AM   #85
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Yesterday I (re)leant the fun of managing my Diabetes when it's a bit warm.

Falling asleep in the sun + too much insulin for what I ate = blood glucose levels at 2.6!

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 02:15 PM   #86
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Isn't it just obnoxious how even the fucking temperature affects it? Although I have to say the best fun is when my liver decides to pump out glucose for no reason giving me a nice spike to 550. I only have a vague sense of the conversion, but I'm thinking a 2.6 is around 40 and a 550 is around 16. Also, I wonder why you guys don't measure it like we do -- mg/dl is more exact than mmol/l.

View my art!
Old July 24 2012, 02:25 PM   #87
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Thanks to Dimesdan and tsq, TIL that temperature can affect blood glucose levels. I wish I'd know that 12 years ago when I had diet-controlled gestational diabetes with my youngest, whose birthday is this Saturday. That was a hot summer, and towards the end of my pregnancy my glucose was all over the damned place. Knowing that temperature can affect it could have helped me control it a bit better.

Dimesdan, that's a scary reading!
Old July 26 2012, 02:16 PM   #88
Zion Ravescene

I learned today that my mother has the same birthday as Helen Mirren, Stanley Kubrick, Queen's Roger Taylor, and Kevin Spacey.

Old July 26 2012, 03:22 PM   #89
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Today I learned that a couple of Rolaids can be your best friend in the world.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 05:57 PM   #90
ITL
Vice Admiral

I learned today that my mother has the same birthday as Helen Mirren, Stanley Kubrick, Queen's Roger Taylor, and Kevin Spacey.
I share a birthday with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Randy Newman, Karen Gillan, John Bunyan, Friedrich Engels, Berry Gordy Jr, William Blake, Ed Harris, Kriss Akabusi, Judd Nelson, Martin Clunes and Jon Stewart.

I knew about some of them before, but I just Googled my birthday to find the rest.

ETA:

Winstead and Gillan were born on my 18th and my 21st birthdays, so I can remember exactly what I was doing on those days. Inebriation may* have been involved.

* was.