Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 25 2012, 06:50 PM   #1246
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If they can't point to some kind of cult following in America, then what are they going to use to make their case? What is the value of Blake's 7' vs Generic New Space Opera Series?
The value of the international brand name would open up possibilities for a co-production, thereby reducing costs for the American outlet that aired it.
Old July 25 2012, 07:02 PM   #1247
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah that could work...Good way to pitch to to SyFy,
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 07:06 PM   #1248
Christopher
Writer

But trying to sell in a show from a genre that isn't so healthy nowadays is going to require more persuation. If they can't point to some kind of cult following in America, then what are they going to use to make their case? What is the value of Blake's 7' vs Generic New Space Opera Series?
Its own merits and quality as a concept, and the strength of its characters and storylines. If what the producers have to offer sounds better than the other ideas competing for the network's funding, then the execs will go for it. And if the producers can't take a concept as strong as Blake's 7 and make it sound better than the other pilot proposals it's competing with, then we probably don't want to see their version of B7 anyway.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 07:19 PM   #1249
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure there are plenty of pitches that have inherent merit, and are in a genre that has more current credibility, that will therefore have an advantage.

Or to put it another way, as far as we know, the studios turn down great pitches ten times a day, each with plenty of merit. I don't doubt there is plenty of talent out there trying their best to sell stuff. but what gets bought, is driven by other considerations, such as that the pitch has some kind of guarantee of success, even if that guarantee is an illusion, such as a brand name that means nothing of substance if the resulting show gallops off in some completely different direction.

Another important factor is the track record of the people making the pitch of having successful shows on American TV. If JJ Abrams were pitching B7, I bet it's odds would be a lot better. In fact, that's probably the most important element - the person, followed by the brand name. As for the quality of what theyre pitching, it's all in the execution anyway.

Space opera has already got a heavy strike against it, just being a space opera, which is expensive, niche audience, and the suits cant point to another current success to justify their decision. So thats going to make any B7 pitch sound bad to the ears of the people with the money.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be a good show, just that it probably won't make it through all the hoops it faces. The idea of lining up international co-production to spread the risk is a good idea, since that squarely addresses one of the biggest obstacles it faces.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; July 25 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old July 25 2012, 10:19 PM   #1250
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Homeland and The Office are from genres that are generally healthy in America, the thriller and the workplace comedy. They could be pitched just on that basis alone.
Actually, Prisoners of War (the source material for Homeland) is not a thriller. It's a drama, and most of the focus of the drama is on the impact the returning Israeli veterans have on their family's lives.

Homeland shifts the equation, going from two prisoners returning home to one prisoner returning home, and giving far greater emphasis (and immediacy) to the part of the series that dealt with intelligence agents analyzing the veteran's behaviour, turning them into the show's protagonists rather than distant secondary characters.

While Homeland still recycles a lot of elements from the Israeli series it's a very different show. Which leads to the following:

What is the value of Blake's 7' vs Generic New Space Opera Series?
This one has been successful, somewhere. Honestly why bother getting the rights to Prisoner of War for Homeland, a series that probably owes as much to 24 if not more? An adaption of a specific space opera property sounds a little safer than a brand new space opera venture.
Old July 26 2012, 04:47 AM   #1251
JD
Admiral

I know it's kinda OT, but if anyone is interested Hulu just added the original Israeli Prisoners of War a week or two ago. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to check it out eventually.
Old July 26 2012, 05:10 AM   #1252
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Honestly why bother getting the rights to Prisoner of War for Homeland, a series that probably owes as much to 24 if not more? An adaption of a specific space opera property sounds a little safer than a brand new space opera venture.
"A series that's like 24" would be a great pitch for any network; there's nothing like it on broadcast now, and there really should be. There's a big audience there that's not being served. Most people don't get Showtime. Not that a premium cable version of 24 isn't also a good idea...and sure enough, Homeland has been a success. But that same idea on broadcast, tamed down of course, could also be a ratings winner.

Space opera is not a safe bet. A known brand is safer than unknown, of course, but known in America is safer than unknown in America. My first choice for a space opera brand to reboot is Stargate. I've never been particularly happy with what they did with it, but it has a still well known movie and three series of varying degrees of success for its bona fides.
Old July 26 2012, 05:21 AM   #1253
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'd say a lot of the SFF types have at least heard of Blake's 7. There seems to be something to mining old territory even if it's just psychological. Plus there's a safety net of a previous storyline and characters to lean on out of the gate (even if they deviate heavily).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 05:28 AM   #1254
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Space opera is not a safe bet. A known brand is safer than unknown, of course, but known in America is safer than unknown in America. My first choice for a space opera brand to reboot is Stargate. I've never been particularly happy with what they did with it, but it has a still well known movie and three series of varying degrees of success for its bona fides.
Mix vampires and a space opera and you might have a winner!
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 05:40 AM   #1255
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Vampires + space opera = Borg.

Still want that?

Okay seriously, you could also say they're the Wraith or even go further afield for the Goauld or those critters on Falling Skies. Wasn't Rev Bem of Andromeda another of that general type? I might be veering into zombie territory now, but they're no slouches in the ratings either.

Any new space opera series could do worse than try to integrate popular elements like the eternally tragic and sexy vampire character. Or just drag in some kind of cop show angle. Either would increase its marketability.
Old July 26 2012, 05:44 AM   #1256
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Wouldn't the Borg be more analogous to zombies? Mindless part of the collective, emotionless consumption, body mutilation....
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 05:45 AM   #1257
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

I say vampires and the orbit patrol. Takes place in the Sol System...could involve mining and such...maybe a cruise ship...like Love Boat in space with vampires. Ha!

ETA - Okay...we have a generation ship heading to a near by star system...but there are vampires aboard too.

Last edited by TayLaLaLa; July 26 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old July 26 2012, 05:52 AM   #1258
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Borg are the intersection between zombies and vampires. They have the contagion feature that is common to both, but don't devour their prey, either by drinking blood or cannibalism, so it's hard to say which one they really are.

But let's say that the Borg are more zombies. That leaves the concept of vampire Borg wide open to interpretation. A new character type for a space opera producer searching for a marketable angle? The immortality angle is probably key here, which leads right back to cyborgs. Give up your humanity and live forever.
Old July 26 2012, 07:35 AM   #1259
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Samaritan wrote: View Post

Mix vampires and a space opera and you might have a winner!
Buck Rogers already did it.
Old July 26 2012, 08:38 AM   #1260
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

^ Remake Buck Rogers. I always liked Twiki.