Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2012, 08:15 PM   #61
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, so much for all those commercials saying how terrible your life will end up if you don't drop cable and switch to DirecTV.

This will pass.

DirecTV is, generally, awesome.

And until someone else gets the NFL Sunday ticket, I'm not even thinking about other providers.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 11:11 PM   #62
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Pretty good. For a minute there, I thought they were going to rehabilitate Zapp and keep him with Leela's mom.

"Leprechaunorrhea."
Old July 20 2012, 06:22 AM   #63
JD
Admiral

I thought this week's episode was pretty good. I can't think of any specific comments.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

Last edited by JD; July 20 2012 at 06:59 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 08:46 PM   #64
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Fun episode.

On the satellite wars front, AMC is running ads telling people their shows are not available on Dish. Like its their idea.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:22 PM   #65
Redfern
Commodore

Whatever the "truth" behind the scenes, the various Viacom owned networks were restored to DirecTV sometime Friday. Plus, it's finally providing the hi-def signal for TCM. (I noticed it Thursday just before tCM aired "Forbidden Planet". Yeah, I i know TCM itself was already offering it, but DirecTV finally opted to carry it.

Now, it only it will do the same for BBC America before the season premiere of "Doctor Who" in August. (Hmm, August... I first watched DW in August 1982 with one of my PBS affiliates, WFSU of Tallahassee, FL got the rights. Mercy! Has it really been 30 years?!)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 03:42 AM   #66
Disruptor
Commodore

7:7 The Six Million Dollar Mon

Pretty good, but also pretty gross. Zoidberg's relationship with Hermes finally gets some exploring.

The end of a recurring character? Maybe, maybe not. One I never cared much for anyway.

Hermes' son still hasn't aged.

Robot cemetary...uh...yeah.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 04:55 AM   #67
Christopher
Writer

Decent for the Zoidberg character study (his relationships are really being fleshed out these days), but too broad otherwise.

Given how easily Futurama characters can be cut to pieces and put back together, or otherwise survive horrible dismemberments, I'm increasingly convinced that everyone in the 31st century is a beneficiary of advanced nanotechnological augmentation, with sophisticated self-repair systems. How else could Hermes come back to life just from having his brain loosely placed on top of his head? And where did those stitches come from once it was in place? Basically what we're seeing is a transhuman species that's largely immune to death except in cases of extreme bodily destruction or dissolution (and even that can be recovered from with stem cells), which could explain why they're so casual about facing (or inflicting) mortal injury and dismemberment. Evidently this augmentation is extended to revived cryonics subjects as well, given that Fry shows similar nigh-invulnerability.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 08:22 AM   #68
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Great character piece for both Zoidberg and Hermes, and hopefully the end of Roberto. I've never liked him.

My only complaint is that after Hermes gets the Cylon upgrade and begins making out with LaBarbara, we should've seen his spine glow.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 09:35 AM   #69
Darth_Daver
Captain

Emh wrote: View Post
Great character piece for both Zoidberg and Hermes, and hopefully the end of Roberto. I've never liked him.

My only complaint is that after Hermes gets the Cylon upgrade and begins making out with LaBarbara, we should've seen his spine glow.
Well something did glow
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 12:35 PM   #70
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Yes, yes, but not the right thing, dangit!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 12:54 PM   #71
Disruptor
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

Given how easily Futurama characters can be cut to pieces and put back together, or otherwise survive horrible dismemberments, I'm increasingly convinced that everyone in the 31st century is a beneficiary of advanced nanotechnological augmentation, with sophisticated self-repair systems.
Yeah, that's the only way to make things make sense even within the context of the show itself. Casual dismemberment comes up a lot (In A Clockwork Origin how Amy casually lops off a finger, which winds up in the soup.)

Fry obviously got "infected" with whatever it is pretty soon after waking (he has an arm snipped off in Why Must I Be A Crustacean in Love).

I was wondering why they'd bury dead robots, but then I remembered The Honking had a cemetary by the castle on Thermostadt. So it wasn't the first time.

Next week's episode sounds really disgusting.
Old July 26 2012, 03:23 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer

Of course, if they have such advanced regenerative capabilities, why does the Professor need dentures?

And is there a way to use this theory to explain why Cubert and Dwight haven't aged out of preadolescence in the past decade?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 04:31 PM   #73
Redfern
Commodore

And yet everyone is missing the obvious throw-away gag...

Leela (in the shower): "Frye? Can you help me apply this body wash?"

Amy (also in shower)" "Yeah, Frye. Leela 'punishes' me when I don't do it right."

Frye (distracted): "Not now! I'm eavesdropping!"

Plays like a lead-in for material posted upon "The Turanga Pages".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 09:08 PM   #74
Disruptor
Commodore

Yeah. They must've gotten closer as butterfly derby partners than we thought. Cycle of addicition and recover, indeed.

I'm still bothered by the fact that Zoidberg sang in melody with himself.

Wha-ooo!
Old July 27 2012, 01:56 AM   #75
JD
Admiral

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I like Hermes and Zoidberg, so there was a lot for me to like here.
Was Hermes hating Zoidberg something new, or have I just never noticed it before?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote