RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,396
Posts: 5,358,467
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 529
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 25 2012, 09:25 PM   #91
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Absolutely loved this shot from Naked Now:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...now_hd_206.jpg

Looks as good as any effect from the recent Trek movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:25 PM   #92
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

A full second season that was cut short because of a writers strike. Another thing I want to see as part of this new in depth documentary, that I am praising to no end because it was just so good, is a footage filled discussion on the writers strike (Heck, that can be part 2 if they split it in parts like they did here) and how that impacted the season. I've heard stories of them using plots from Star Trek Phase II and various reasons for the clip show, but if this Doc is allowing them to go in depth, than do it. Yeah it might be stuff we've heard before, but there was a lot from the documentary last night that I hadn't heard before so indulge me.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:27 PM   #93
BriGuy
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Absolutely loved this shot from Naked Now:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...now_hd_206.jpg

Looks as good as any effect from the recent Trek movie.
Rats. I thought you were linking a pic of Yar's wiggling hiney...
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:31 PM   #94
Sagart
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Northern Ireland
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Has anyone noticed a problem with the opening credits? The Enterprise seems to move in and out of, well, a dullness, the brightness of the ship changes. The names of the cast lack brightness as well; the picture gets brighter as the Enterprise moves into shot after Wil Wheaton's name. Anyone else seeing this?
__________________
Carpenter from Nazareth, seeks joiners.
Sagart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:31 PM   #95
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
A full second season that was cut short because of a writers strike. Another thing I want to see as part of this new in depth documentary, that I am praising to no end because it was just so good, is a footage filled discussion on the writers strike (Heck, that can be part 2 if they split it in parts like they did here) and how that impacted the season. I've heard stories of them using plots from Star Trek Phase II and various reasons for the clip show, but if this Doc is allowing them to go in depth, than do it. Yeah it might be stuff we've heard before, but there was a lot from the documentary last night that I hadn't heard before so indulge me.
The Child was originally written for Phase II.
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:31 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Absolutely loved this shot from Naked Now:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...now_hd_206.jpg

Looks as good as any effect from the recent Trek movie.
That is stunning.

I'd love to see a set of trading cards based on the remastered episodes.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:32 PM   #97
BriGuy
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
BriGuy wrote: View Post
I can't imagine it being an "unqualified hit right out of the gate" as you say. It became that, but early on, it was an unknown. Our look back is colored by all that has come since TNG first debuted; it may be hard to remember what it was like when all there was of Trek was TOS and the TOS movies.
http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/syndicated_1987/

TV Obscurities wrote:

None of the syndicated programming premiering in the fall of 1987 was as highly anticipated as the two-hour premiered of Paramount Television’s Star Trek: The Next Generation. Proving that within the television industry you can go home again, Gene Roddenberry brought his unique vision of the future back to the small screen, starting the week of September 28th (because syndicated programs air at different times on different days in different areas of the country there is no set airdate).

Overall, in Nielsen’s fifteen major markets, the premiere averaged a 21 share and, more importantly, an impressive 300% improvement in share over the comparable year-ago numbers in those same markets. Ratings for the series were so good, in fact, that Paramount renewed Star Trek: The Next Generation for a full second season in November of 1987.
An unqualified hit right out of the gate.
I don't see it that way. I see it as highly anticipated, heavily promoted, but not an "unqualified hit." Out of the gate, it was a huge unknown, with an uncertain future - even the actors knew that.

It was a big, high profile gamble. That's why the debut numbers were so high. There were many questions swirling around it, many doubts, many questions.

TNG stumbled, soared and fell through its first two seasons; it became a hit in its third season, as it found its own footing, came out of the writer's strike-affected second season, and outlived its predecessor.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:37 PM   #98
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
A full second season that was cut short because of a writers strike. Another thing I want to see as part of this new in depth documentary, that I am praising to no end because it was just so good, is a footage filled discussion on the writers strike (Heck, that can be part 2 if they split it in parts like they did here) and how that impacted the season. I've heard stories of them using plots from Star Trek Phase II and various reasons for the clip show, but if this Doc is allowing them to go in depth, than do it. Yeah it might be stuff we've heard before, but there was a lot from the documentary last night that I hadn't heard before so indulge me.
The Child was originally written for Phase II.
I know, and to go more in depth on your sentence is something I'm finding myself looking forward to. If they don't do it, fine, no loss but it would be a nice wish for Season 2.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:40 PM   #99
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BriGuy wrote: View Post
I don't see it that way. I see it as highly anticipated, heavily promoted, but not an "unqualified hit." Out of the gate, it was a huge unknown, with an uncertain future - even the actors knew that.

It was a big, high profile gamble. That's why the debut numbers were so high. There were many questions swirling around it, many doubts, many questions.

TNG stumbled, soared and fell through its first two seasons; it became a hit in its third season, as it found its own footing, came out of the writer's strike-affected second season, and outlived its predecessor.
You just don't want to be wrong, but the numbers simply state that you are (unless you can produce something that says differently). You don't renew the most expensive series, which is millions of dollars over budget at that point according to the documentary, on TV six to eight weeks into its first season unless it is pulling in exceptional numbers.

Just because the first two seasons aren't up to your standards doesn't mean the series wasn't pulling good numbers every week. Hell the article I quoted said some network stations decided to leave TNG in primetime over network offerings.

I'm a huge TOS guy, but that doesn't change the fact that TNG was pulling great ratings right from the beginning.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 09:40 PM   #100
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BriGuy wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Absolutely loved this shot from Naked Now:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...now_hd_206.jpg

Looks as good as any effect from the recent Trek movie.
Rats. I thought you were linking a pic of Yar's wiggling hiney...


There's a larger version of the pic, and lovely it is too.....
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 10:24 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
BriGuy wrote: View Post
I don't see it that way. I see it as highly anticipated, heavily promoted, but not an "unqualified hit." Out of the gate, it was a huge unknown, with an uncertain future - even the actors knew that.

It was a big, high profile gamble. That's why the debut numbers were so high. There were many questions swirling around it, many doubts, many questions.

TNG stumbled, soared and fell through its first two seasons; it became a hit in its third season, as it found its own footing, came out of the writer's strike-affected second season, and outlived its predecessor.
You just don't want to be wrong, but the numbers simply state that you are (unless you can produce something that says differently). You don't renew the most expensive series, which is millions of dollars over budget at that point according to the documentary, on TV six to eight weeks into its first season unless it is pulling in exceptional numbers.

Just because the first two seasons aren't up to your standards doesn't mean the series wasn't pulling good numbers every week. Hell the article I quoted said some network stations decided to leave TNG in primetime over network offerings.

I'm a huge TOS guy, but that doesn't change the fact that TNG was pulling great ratings right from the beginning.
Seems like Stewart knew it was a hit in season two at least...

http://blastr.com/2012/02/why-patrick-stewart-panic.php

"I'd heard of actors who'd stayed away from the stage for a number of years who'd lost their nerve and never went back. I was horrified that might happen to me," he said. "In my second season of Star Trek, I began creating a series of one-man shows to get myself back on stage. The only condition was that there would be no other actors, so that I didn't depend on anyone else, and that the whole production could fit into the trunk of my car."
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 10:42 PM   #102
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I'm watching Naked Now properly right now, so many good moments in this episode. My favourite thing about this is how Riker is just to damned tough to give in to the disease.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 10:51 PM   #103
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

^ Riker has always been my favorite character on the show. You tend to not notice him, but when you think a bit about it, he's had a surprisingly large number of really solid episodes in the series. Kind of in the way how superficially the big things in Best of Both Worlds are the Borg and Locutus, but really when it gets down to it, it's a Riker story. He forms the emotional core of that story and Frakes delivers a damn fine performance.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 10:53 PM   #104
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Sho wrote: View Post
^ Riker has always been my favorite character on the show. You tend to not notice him, but when you think a bit about it, he's had a surprisingly large number of really solid episodes in the series. Kind of in the way how superficially the big things in Best of Both Worlds are the Borg and Locutus, but really when it gets down to it, it's a Riker story. He forms the emotional core of that story and Frakes delivers a damn fine performance.
He's always been my favourite next gen character too. I think probably because he reminds me of Kirk.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 10:58 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Pindar wrote: View Post
Sho wrote: View Post
^ Riker has always been my favorite character on the show. You tend to not notice him, but when you think a bit about it, he's had a surprisingly large number of really solid episodes in the series. Kind of in the way how superficially the big things in Best of Both Worlds are the Borg and Locutus, but really when it gets down to it, it's a Riker story. He forms the emotional core of that story and Frakes delivers a damn fine performance.
He's always been my favourite next gen character too. I think probably because he reminds me of Kirk.
He was my favorite up until the end of season 3, after that he just felt redundant.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.