Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 24 2012, 11:36 PM   #1486
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

^Don't worry about it. 'WASD' will very quickly become second nature. The only tricky part is the space button, which for some reason Bioware decided to assign about 50 different situational functions to. It can make running away, diving and getting in and out of cover a bit of a toss up as to which you intend to do and what you'll actually do.

Honestly though, just stick to the bronze matches and you'll be fine. Basic rule of thumb: any character still below Lv10 should stick to bronze; Lv15 and up should be OK for gold. Needless to say the new platinum difficulty is for experienced Lv20s only. It's also worth noting that unlike SP, in MP soldiers can be one of the hardest classes to play. For the high level matches, it tends to come down to either asari adepts (for the warp/throw detonations and of course the stasis bubble) or infiltrators (mostly geth or salarian) with widows for sheer DPS.

Realistically, once you've got your characters levelled up you'll be spending most of your time in silver matches. Unfortunately, most gold matches are most often used for credit farming. If you come into a lobby and see it says 'Gold, Geth & Firebase White' at the top of the screen then you'd best leave unless you want to spend 10 rounds camping over on the far left with everyone else. It can get very dull.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 11:39 PM   #1487
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Hey, thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I saw something about "the old Gold/Geth/White trick" in a topic on BSN earlier. I figured it was something like that. Credits are nice, but that's... no fun at all.

I heard about the spacebar issue. I remember some major bickering over it before ending discussions usurped all else sometime around March 8th.
Old July 25 2012, 01:10 AM   #1488
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Don't worry about it. 'WASD' will very quickly become second nature.
Eew. WASD.

(For PC games I stick with the arrow keys, personally.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 01:19 AM   #1489
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Eew. WASD.

(For PC games I stick with the arrow keys, personally.)
Yuck. I remember when I first started PC gaming years ago I used the arrow keys, but considering how nearby keys like Q, E, F, C, X etc also get used by default, it's highly inefficient.
Reverend wrote: View Post
^Don't worry about it. 'WASD' will very quickly become second nature. The only tricky part is the space button, which for some reason Bioware decided to assign about 50 different situational functions to. It can make running away, diving and getting in and out of cover a bit of a toss up as to which you intend to do and what you'll actually do.
*Shepard runs up to a button on a wall to press it, proceeds to dive roll into the wall*
Old July 25 2012, 01:24 AM   #1490
Skywalker
Admiral

I hate WASD, too.

And yeah, BioWare tied a lot of actions to the A button on the Xbox, too. I imagine it's the same with the X button for PS3.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 02:06 AM   #1491
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm a lefty that uses the mouse with my left hand, as god intended me to, so arrow keys make more sense to me. Using WASD causes me to dig my right elbow into my ribcage, which can't be good for me, but I understand why it's the default for the tyrannical righties.
Old July 25 2012, 02:39 AM   #1492
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Yuck. I remember when I first started PC gaming years ago I used the arrow keys, but considering how nearby keys like Q, E, F, C, X etc also get used by default, it's highly inefficient.
Only if you don't remap them too, and if you don't have problems with fingers slipping off WASD onto their neighbors and not realizing it 'cause they all feed the same.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 03:27 AM   #1493
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm a lefty that uses the mouse with my left hand, as god intended me to, so arrow keys make more sense to me. Using WASD causes me to dig my right elbow into my ribcage, which can't be good for me, but I understand why it's the default for the tyrannical righties.
Hmm, touche. I'm a lefty as well. Arrows might be my go-to.
Old July 25 2012, 03:28 AM   #1494
Skywalker
Admiral

Wait, GodBen is left-handed? So that's how they came to call it "sinister!"
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 03:34 AM   #1495
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Just because I murdered Mordin, Wrex, and Legion while claiming to be their friend doesn't mean I'm sinister.

Wait, no, it probably does.
Old July 25 2012, 03:35 AM   #1496
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

You...

...monster...
Old July 25 2012, 03:38 AM   #1497
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

In fairness, Legion and Wrex would have died anyway, I think that pulling the trigger myself and allowing a friend to kill them instead was very righteous of me.
Old July 25 2012, 03:51 AM   #1498
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Whatever you say, Reaper.

Old July 25 2012, 04:03 AM   #1499
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Speaking of deaths, I finished ME2 on my paragade last night, and will happily be experiencing a Miranda- and Jacob-free ME3. Oh, I killed Thane too, because I find his presence in ME3 slightly on the depressing side, as he's just hanging around Huerta waiting to die. At least I spare him the indignity of getting killed by that Kai Leng loser yet again and finally get to see Kirrahe replace him.

First time I heard Shep's renegade response to TIM after destroying the Collector base. "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line."
Old July 25 2012, 04:09 AM   #1500
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Heh, geez. I like Thane in ME3, I like Kai Leng as a secondary antagonist (he'd have been awful as a primary, though) and I like Miranda quite a bit. Different strokes, lawl. Miranda definitely could have used more screen time in 3, though; her on-the-run storyline is a passable if not good explanation for her disappearance act, but she needed more than just a single biotic blast at the end of Sanctuary. Everyone else got more action, and I wouldn't care so much if there weren't so much action going around already.

Kirrahe doesn't really fight Kai Leng, per se, btw, so temper your expectations accordingly. He does something cool, and it's something you don't see Thane do or anything, and it's very salarian. But it's no duel.

The bullshit line is absolutely stellar.