RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 519
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 24 2012, 08:48 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Picked mine up this morning.

So far I'm up to Lonely Among Us and they all look spectacular.
Old July 24 2012, 09:20 PM   #17
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Another review for season 1: http://io9.com/5928504/star-trek-the...all-over-again
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:36 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
No mention of audio issues there either...
Old July 24 2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't understand how all the reviews have missed it.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:42 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't understand how all the reviews have missed it.
Like I said in the other thread, they probably skipped Farpoint because they'd already seen it on the sampler.
Old July 24 2012, 10:05 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

I think Justice is one of the best pieces of 'social' science-fiction Star Trek ever did.
Old July 24 2012, 10:24 PM   #22
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Well, I've been watching a little bit of the blu-ray and I have some thoughts (And please forgive me since I'm not as technical as a lot of people here)

-What I've seen so far looks beautiful. CBS did a great job with this project and I was watching the Documentary on how they do it and man that's a pure definition of "labor of love". Looking for all that film that looks like it's as high (At least stacked in boxes) as a 5 story building looks daunting.

-The aspect ratio (Or if I'm getting it wrong, simply the black on the left and right of the screen) is something I thought they would adjust for on TVs. They did it on the DVD release so I was surprised they didn't do it here. Again, I'm not technical, so I'm sure there is a very good reason for that.

-I watched the first part of Stardate Revisited and man I'm already loving all this new stuff on the series that they never put in the DVDs. That documentary might be worth the 65 bucks I paid already because TNG was a great series and to see it grow from the ground up is really fascinating. I know he isn't the most popular guy around here, but hearing Rick Berman's story of how he got involved was very interesting and I wonder, is he retired? Also all the stuff from Probert and Justman and the rest of the Art Department was great too, like how we got the Enterprise D, or the stuff with the engine in the middle of the ship. One other thing, Gene Roddenberry didn't know California Labor Laws? It's one thing to run a family business but man, that story was great too, especially considering what Rod Roddenberry is doing now. Best to start them young I suppose.

-One glaring thing I noticed was are the opening credits supposed to flash like that? I'm not sure if I can simply explain what I mean, but you have the credits, and when we get to the text portion (EG Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard, Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher) the screen for a few seconds fades to black. Is this part of the converting to HD? I know on the SD, the stars are always present so I was just wondering what was going on there. Not a big deal, but like everything else on this set I'm just fascinated.

-I love the fact that the episode previews are part of the set now, as one of my favorite aspects of watching TNG growing up was waiting to see what the next episode was. I would always go to my parents, "Wait, we have to see what the next episode is about" before they changed the channel. Also, you can really see the difference between this HD project, and the original standard def. Still, seeing the "Neeexxxxt Time, on Star Trek: The Next Generation" will never get old. Maybe on the DS9 sets they will include the promos there because those promos were awesome as well, whether it was the blue station design overlapping with the promo in Season 2, or the Text promos we got in Season 6 and 7.

Like I said, this whole thing feels like a Labor of Love and considering when Star Trek was remastered and my qualms with that (Changing the visual effects, not appreciating the time it was filmed, pretty much everything that one episode of South Park criticized George Lucas for) this is quite an achievement.
Old July 24 2012, 10:35 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post

-The aspect ratio (Or if I'm getting it wrong, simply the black on the left and right of the screen) is something I thought they would adjust for on TVs. They did it on the DVD release so I was surprised they didn't do it here. Again, I'm not technical, so I'm sure there is a very good reason for that.
Either your TV or disc player is stretching the content to fit the screen on DVD. You can stretch the blu-ray, usually through a setting on your TV, but you'll have to do it manually. But if you do this then the menus won't fit the screen properly.
Old July 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #24
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Either your TV or disc player is stretching the content to fit the screen on DVD. You can stretch the blu-ray, usually through a setting on your TV, but you'll have to do it manually. But if you do this then the menus won't fit the screen properly.
So it's best to leave it be then? I'm just wondering because with everyone having big screen TVs these days, I'm just wondering how distracting it is, or if it's not a big deal.
Old July 24 2012, 10:46 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

So it's best to leave it be then? I'm just wondering because with everyone having big screen TVs these days, I'm just wondering how distracting it is, or if it's not a big deal.
I've been too busy being mesmerized by the pretty pictures in the middle of the screen for the black bars to bother me.

Yeah, I'd leave it be. It's the way it was originally intended to be viewed.
Old July 24 2012, 10:52 PM   #26
Sagart
Fleet Captain

I've actually started with the documentaries which are wonderful. There's so much stuff I haven't seen in years and some I've never seen before. This is a real gift to TNG fans. Roll on seasons 2-7!!
Old July 24 2012, 10:54 PM   #27
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

One of the most important things you can do to help yourself look past the black bars is to make sure the brightness and contrast settings are adjusted on your TV. Right out of the box, all TV's have their brightness cranked to the max; this is in case a store were to pull one out to be a floor model, it would need to look good under the harsh fluorescent lighting. But at home, it's just overkill. There are several DVDs out there that have a THX home calibration feature (I know Fight Club and the original Star Wars DVDs have them). Even if you don't have access to those, at least turn your brightness way, way down, even further than looks good. Watch like that for several days, then start creeping it up until it looks better.

What you're trying to achieve is for the black bars to actually look "black", and not glowing grey. If the frame of your TV is also black, this will go a long way towards helping you learn to ignore the black bars.
Old July 24 2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

The 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio (the shape of modern TVs) was designed specifically to accommodate all of the most common aspect ratios from 1.33:1 to 2.40:1. 16:9 (1.78:1) is the geometric mean between those ARs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9
Old July 24 2012, 11:04 PM   #29
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

milo bloom wrote: View Post

One of the most important things you can do to help yourself look past the black bars is to make sure the brightness and contrast settings are adjusted on your TV. Right out of the box, all TV's have their brightness cranked to the max; this is in case a store were to pull one out to be a floor model, it would need to look good under the harsh fluorescent lighting. But at home, it's just overkill. There are several DVDs out there that have a THX home calibration feature (I know Fight Club and the original Star Wars DVDs have them). Even if you don't have access to those, at least turn your brightness way, way down, even further than looks good. Watch like that for several days, then start creeping it up until it looks better.

What you're trying to achieve is for the black bars to actually look "black", and not glowing grey. If the frame of your TV is also black, this will go a long way towards helping you learn to ignore the black bars.
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually used to the bars but I was just wondering if it was the case for all of your TVs too and I just was doing something wrong. The black bars have been there since DVDs and studios wanting to keep the theatrical aspect ratio, thereby showing the movies in wide-screen.
Old July 24 2012, 11:06 PM   #30
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Is the July 24 release date a suggestion that we should be watching TNG 7/24 (or 24/7 for European fans)?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote