Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2012, 08:50 PM   #4621
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Yeah, so for those folks who think there are too many comic book movies you are getting a 10month break till Iron Man 3 comes out next May. No DC, Marvel or indie comic book adaption film coming out.
There are no more big superhero adaptations until May, but there are two indie non-superhero comic book adaptations before then: Dredd in September and I, Frankenstein in February.
Old July 22 2012, 11:35 PM   #4622
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

How did I forget Dredd at the least??!!! DOH!! I even have an inkling to see that.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:41 AM   #4623
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

A better quality version of the Comic Con trailer is out. It's unlisted on youtube but the name of it is funny

mongoose on steroids leaked in his pants (hq)
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:47 AM   #4624
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Almost has a Bill Bixby Hulk vibe in parts.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:15 AM   #4625
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

This is it? How underwhelming! For people who wanted to get away from Singer's Superman Returns, they put out a similar trailer but done worse. The whole thing would've been a better teaser for Aquaman The Movie with all that fisherman stuff!
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:23 AM   #4626
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
This is it? How underwhelming! For people who wanted to get away from Singer's Superman Returns, they put out a similar trailer but done worse. The whole thing would've been a better teaser for Aquaman The Movie with all that fisherman stuff!
The absolute feeling am getting about this movie is dread. Sure, I havent seen any real footage yet, but with the gloominess of the trailer and setting up Supes to be in a "real world setting" is pretty underwhelming IMO.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:24 AM   #4627
davejames
Vice Admiral

Damn, love all the new detail we can finally see. The spaceship, the Fortress, the head shot of him as Supes...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:25 AM   #4628
davejames
Vice Admiral

I guess you haven't seen the longer version then.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:28 AM   #4629
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I have to agree with you. Superman Returns was a movie I was psyched about and it disappointed me greatly. But the teaser (whose only flaw was spending a quarter of its running time on logos) was just fantastic. It's remarkable how similar and how much better it is to the new teaser. Maybe part of it is John Williams' Superman theme (The new trailer used a great piece of music from Horner - Gandalf's fall, but it's obviously not what will be used, and represents Gandalf more than Superman), or maybe it's the power of Brando's voice (which far surpasses the voice of either Crowe or Costner) or maybe it's the words themselves, unforgettable and poetic. Maybe its the iconic shots they used in the trailer, people gazing skyward, or how heroic and romantic Supes looks as he steps to rather tiny (in comparison) Lois, or the fantastic shot from above both of them as he takes off. Or maybe its the glimmer in Routh's eyes before he rockets down to Earth. The new trailer, which looks more like the first hour of Batman Begins, doesn't come close, despite teasing the audience in the same way.
Old July 23 2012, 04:52 AM   #4630
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I kinda like it but I can see why people are underwhelmed by it. It's a bit like the first teaser for Batman Begins - only at the end did you realise that it was a trailer for a Batman movie and not a drama; only at the end of this one is it clear that it's for Superman. It's clearly aimed at general cinema audiences who may not be aware of the movie's existence, not for we geeks who do.

The end shot of Superman is a little disappointing for those of us who know what the trailer is for. Not quite the same as waiting 10 years to see Clark don the cape and tights in Smallville, then getting a cheapo CGI Superman but I would have liked a clearer look at him.

On the plus, Snyder seems to have moved away from his trademark style and the imagery here is lovely, while the idea of differing narratives is a neat one. I prefer the Costner one, personally. Crowe seems to have adapted a good voice for Jor-El; whether by design or accident, it seems pitched between Brando and Stamp.
Yeah some of those shots remind me of a Terence Malick film.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 06:02 AM   #4631
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here's a better quality version of the extended comic con trailer for those who missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DoW5...ayer_embedded#!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 06:37 AM   #4632
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Hmm. yeah, I definitely wish that was the trailer I'd seen on the big screen in front of 'Dark Knight Rises.'
Old July 23 2012, 01:54 PM   #4633
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

sojourner wrote: View Post
Maybe this scene starts with him watching 300? That definitely has alot of red cape imagery in it.
<Kicks the dog into the well> "This is KANDOR!!"
Old July 23 2012, 02:04 PM   #4634
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Which is exactly my point. What is he playing as if there is no Superman figure for him to imitate? In a world without superheroes with capes, where do the kids get the idea?
Probably the same place Siegel and Shuster got the idea. Superman's costume wasn't pulled out of the ether, it was based on the costumes that circus strongmen wore in the 1930s. Maybe in a world where that look didn't become associated with superheroes, it continued to be associated with circus performers. For that matter, Evel Knievel wore a cape during his career as a daredevil/stuntman, so even in real life the custom lasted at least until the '70s. Young Clark could've been emulating his favorite daredevil or acrobat or weightlifter.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:10 PM   #4635
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'd want Superman/Clark Kent to be a very wise, enlightened being, conscious, confident, a role model for everyone, because of his origin, and because Ma and Pa Kent are wonderful parents. He isn't prejudiced or jealous, and when he fights criminals he never kills (but then again, that's also Batman's thing), and he doesn't take justice into his own hands. But it seems that the film again goes for the "I don't know who I am, I don't know what I want" angle.

Superman Returns had him being depressive and jealous, I never liked that.

Superman II had him turning into a pussy after he lost his powers, and at the end, when he got his powers back, he bullied the guy. Not something someone could admire.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote