Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23 2012, 12:07 PM   #331
indianatrekker26
Captain

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

HLN news this morning showed that the movie made about 180 million over the weekend. Some figures are showing the film was understandably hit on ticket sales, due to the Colorado tragedy. when my wife and i went to see it, she felt uncomfortable at the beginning, looking around the theatre to see if some maniac would pop up.
And i gotta say, during the shooting in the stock exchange scene, i gotta say i felt a little uncomfortable watching that, with colorado still fresh in my mind.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 01:53 PM   #332
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Saw the movie yesterday in IMAX. I really enjoyed it. I selected, "Good," only because Ledger's Joker performance will forever be hard to top. So overall the acting was better in the previous film if not only because of him.

Bain was an interesting bad guy. I wish they had explained more why he had the mask. It seemed unclear what exactly happened. Did the comic books do a better job of explaining that?

Michael Cain's, Alfred, didn't come off to me as well as in previous films. Maybe is tires of the role. Also the grave side scene where he cries with emotion didn't come off well.

The film was a little long IMO and with previews over 3 hours. For me, that's a long time to sit in the theater.

Overall I give it an A-. The problem with Batman films is they are so incredible both visually as well as the acting that even slight problems with the script or acting makes it easy to criticize, likely unfairly.

As an aside: when we were waiting in line to go into the theater I was speaking with the usher. She was saying she was so tired and exhausted from the weekend. Apparently at the theater several stupid morons were opening the back door as a prank and they had to call the police 1/2 dozen times over the course of the weekend. Some people are really dumb asses.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 01:59 PM   #333
Mr Light
Admiral

Bane just wears a luchador wrestling mask in the comics and his mouth is not obscured. They decided to cover up his mouth for the movie and make him impossible to understand... for some reason...

The in-movie explanation is that he has injuries and is in chronic pain and the mask delivers anesthesia gas.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:03 PM   #334
tighr
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
As an aside: when we were waiting in line to go into the theater I was speaking with the usher. She was saying she was so tired and exhausted from the weekend. Apparently at the theater several stupid morons were opening the back door as a prank and they had to call the police 1/2 dozen times over the course of the weekend. Some people are really dumb asses.
At my theater, they usually have a greeter before the trailers start, to welcome you to the theater and see if you have any questions. Some dumbass in the back of the theater asked, "After what happened in Denver, will we be getting bulletproof vests??"

Some people just don't know when a joke isn't funny.
Old July 23 2012, 02:04 PM   #335
Warped9
Admiral

It also makes something of the opposite of Batman visually. Whereas Batman is completely covered except for the lower part of his face Bane isn't so covered up except for the lower part of his face.
Old July 23 2012, 02:12 PM   #336
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Our theater had more security than usual - checking exit doors, flashlights looking down aisles, etc.
Old July 23 2012, 02:16 PM   #337
Agent Richard07
Retired

I'm catching up on the 60s TV series and last night, the stock footage they used for Gotham was of New York, just like in this movie. And what else did we get? The opening of a bridge.

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Blake wasn't set up to keep things going as "Robin". Without doubt or question, he becomes Batman. Bruce isn't coming back. Blake is the Dark Knight now. He even has his own "Alfred" in the priest who runs the orphans home upstairs. Gordon and Fox are still around as well, so Blake certainly won't be without connections and resources.
Thanks for addressing the issue of where Blake will get his resources to maintain his crime fighting.

Now how did he find the batcave?

I selected, "Good," only because Ledger's Joker performance will forever be hard to top. So overall the acting was better in the previous film if not only because of him.
A lot of people say this. Heath Ledger was indeed good and fun to watch, but I've never thought of his performance or the Joker as so earth-shattering that nothing else compares. I think anyone would be just as good if they put on some clown make-up and let loose. I also think that other villains are equally worthwhile and interesting in their own right.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; July 23 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:31 PM   #338
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
At my theater, they usually have a greeter before the trailers start, to welcome you to the theater and see if you have any questions. Some dumbass in the back of the theater asked, "After what happened in Denver, will we be getting bulletproof vests??"

Some people just don't know when a joke isn't funny.
Agreed. Anyone that thinks making jokes or pranks about a mass shooting after the CO tragedy needs to seek psychological help IMO. There is nothing remotely funny about the situation nor is there in scaring people at theaters.
Old July 23 2012, 02:32 PM   #339
Agent Richard07
Retired

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The in-movie explanation is that he has injuries and is in chronic pain and the mask delivers anesthesia gas.
I wonder how he eats.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:41 PM   #340
tighr
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I selected, "Good," only because Ledger's Joker performance will forever be hard to top. So overall the acting was better in the previous film if not only because of him.
A lot of people say this. Heath Ledger was indeed good and fun to watch, but I've never thought of his performance or the Joker as so earth-shattering that nothing else compares. I think anyone would be just as good if they put on some clown make-up and let loose. I also think that other villains are equally worthwhile and interesting in their own right.
Other villains are equally worthwhile, but Heath Ledger's performance was above and beyond. It's a matter of becoming the role. The best examples I can think of is your standard episode of Saturday Night Live: you can definitely tell which hosts are phoning it in, and which hosts are invested in their roles. It's not "letting loose", its becoming the character.

For another example, I've never thought Christian Bale ever truly owned the Batman role, rather he just did a decent job of portraying it. Robert Downey Jr, however, IS Tony Stark.
Old July 23 2012, 03:04 PM   #341
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I wonder how he eats.
Given the way he used the Venom fluid to enhance his abilities in other appearances it might have been a nice touch to have him feed from some tube.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:05 PM   #342
Gen. Zod
Lieutenant

Now how did he find the batcave?
Bruce left him the GPS coordinates and the rappelling gear in the duffel bag.
Old July 23 2012, 03:31 PM   #343
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
[
Other villains are equally worthwhile, but Heath Ledger's performance was above and beyond. It's a matter of becoming the role. The best examples I can think of is your standard episode of Saturday Night Live: you can definitely tell which hosts are phoning it in, and which hosts are invested in their roles. It's not "letting loose", its becoming the character.
Ledger also won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for the performance. While the academy was likely giving him a tribute after his death, it's undeniable his acting performance in the role was breathtaking. And IMHO, better than Nicholson.
Old July 23 2012, 03:33 PM   #344
Mage
Commodore

You know, we were talking after the movie..... A lot of people must be very deaf. Since no one I spoke to had any issues whatsoever understanding Bane. Is this just a haters gonna hate thing, or do most theaters have crappy sound installations or something?
Old July 23 2012, 03:36 PM   #345
Warped9
Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
You know, we were talking after the movie..... A lot of people must be very deaf. Since no one I spoke to had any issues whatsoever understanding Bane. Is this just a haters gonna hate thing, or do most theaters have crappy sound installations or something?
I had concerns when watching previous trailers, but during the film I had no problem whatsoever.