TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2012, 11:52 PM   #286
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's interesting that Bruce's philanthropic actions didn't sway her opinion one bit in the end.
Why would it? It didn't with her father; indeed, it's completely in opposition to the League's agenda.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #287
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I guess I need to watch the films again (been a while with the first two) because I don't know what their agenda is. I assumed the "eat the rich" was some kind of statement to which maybe Bruce's actions would matter. If it was just a random way to fuck with people that seems pointless as well.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #288
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Greg, was there any real build up to their nookie in the script?
Just what you saw in the movie.

But consider: Bruce is having a really bad day. He's lost his fortune, Alfred has abandoned him, Gordon has been shot up, Bane is causing havoc. He's standing in the rain, locked out of his own lonely mansion, having lost pretty much everything and everyone in his life . . . is it really surprising that he would welcome whatever comfort Miranda offered? She caught him at a really vulnerable moment, on a rainy night in front of a warm fireplace.

And, of course, she has her own agenda.
Good point, Greg. In truth I never really needed a reason for why Bruce slept with Miranda. The only reason I asked about a build up was because I forgot that Miranda and Talia were the same person.

If Miranda was a real person she probably would have needed to be wined and dined before giving it up. As was said, Talia had her own agenda. I just have to give Marion Cotillard props for making Miranda as distinct from Talia as possible so that I could forget that one was an alter ego of the other.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:58 PM   #289
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I guess I need to watch the films again (been a while with the first two) because I don't know what their agenda is. I assumed the "eat the rich" was some kind of statement to which maybe Bruce's actions would matter. If it was just a random way to fuck with people that seems pointless as well.
Their agenda is that they view Gotham as a symbol of corruption and decadence (which it was more in the first movie than the third, but Talia is just carrying out her father's original mission) and want to destroy it as a warning to the rest of the world. Bane's rhetoric is just a way to lead some elements of the masses around; he wants them all to die in the end, just like Ra's, whose plan involved the populace tearing each other to pieces.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:34 AM   #290
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Just been to see it and what can I say .? Great story and a great ending had no problem of understanding bane and some of the sub plots I didn't see coming. Again Nolan has produced a masterpiece. I noticed the film started off slow like the DK but builds you up just nice.

Glad that the bane character was not just the main villain I did notice that his voice is chilling but just watch his eyes some scenes I noticed he had them evilness in them. And the ending where does it go from here .? I wouldn't like to see a film with just robin in it. I also thought that mr Nolan was not making another movie. ??

Another thing I liked is that the people close to batman realised who he was without him taking off his mask ?? Brilliant story telling.
Old July 23 2012, 01:53 AM   #291
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Greg I am curious if John Blake's age is given in the script you saw or in your novel? While Joseph Gordon=Levitt is currently 31. Based on details in the movie about the actual character's past and being a rookie I would think its much younger.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 01:57 AM   #292
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Someone on another board brought up the question of why Talia wanted to destroy Gotham even though Gordon and Batman had cleaned up its streets, which led me to the following thought:

Talia might claim that she's finishing her father's work, but she's really got more in common with The Joker than she does with Ra's. The vehemence with which she stabs Bruce and tells him who she really is indicates somebody who, like The Joker, 'just wants to watch the world burn'... in this case LITERALLY. The difference between Talia and The Joker, though, is that Talia wanted Bruce/Batman to 'watch the world burn' with her and know that, because of his actions in both of his identities (killing her father as Batman and building/financing the fusion reactor as Bruce), he was responsible FOR and complicit IN the city's destruction, whereas The Joker just wanted Batman dead.
Old July 23 2012, 02:08 AM   #293
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Questions.

How did Bruce get back into the city? How did he know exactly how to find Selena at some random place at some random time to make a dramatic reappearance?

How did i go from the middle of a business day at the Stock Market to pitch dark once Bats appears on his bike? Did his power gun control the sun too?
Old July 23 2012, 02:14 AM   #294
O'Dib
Commodore

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Someone on another board brought up the question of why Talia wanted to destroy Gotham even though Gordon and Batman had cleaned up its streets
Ras didn't wanna destroy Gotham to rid it of crime, that's ridiculous. It was to strike a killing blow to American Imperialism. These people think global.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Questions.

1 How did Bruce get back into the city?

How did he know exactly how to find Selena at some random place at some random time to make a dramatic reappearance?

3 How did i go from the middle of a business day at the Stock Market to pitch dark once Bats appears on his bike? Did his power gun control the sun too?
1. He's the goddamn Batman.
2. He looked for her at her apartment. She said something to the thugs about her neighborhood.
3. This was inside an artificially lit tunnel.

Here's my question: Was the limp psychosomatic? Or is a specific injury from TDK? Cause despite having worn out all his joints, the doctor says nothing of the leg, that I recall. And the prosthetic seems to lose significance later on.
Old July 23 2012, 02:18 AM   #295
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ of course he can control the sun he's the dark night...

I had forgotten they set up the TV so Bruce could see what was happening. That at least a little bit prolonging Gotham's fall.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:19 AM   #296
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Did anyone notice how bad the editing was in the film.

The bomb seems to have eleven minutes and something for a long time. From about the time Talia finishes her flashback speech, all the way To Batman boards and takes off in his stupid jet bat thing. It's still in eleven minutes. Two minutes later we're at five minutes something. And with a minute and a half left Bats has time to secure a grapple to the device (which always takes longer than a second) talk to Catwoman, give her a kiss, tell Gordon who he is, and then fly off. Wow.
Old July 23 2012, 02:21 AM   #297
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The more I think about it its unlikely Bruce retired immediately after TDK. Maybe 6 months to a year at most. He did rebuild the Batcave. Also for the public to buy into the deception G0rdon and Batman created they would have had to play it out for some time. With the police trying to relentlessly capture the fugitive. With Batman perhaps almost in a Green Hornet role. Appearing to be a crminal to end his "competition".
Old July 23 2012, 02:24 AM   #298
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Ras didn't wanna destroy Gotham to rid it of crime, that's ridiculous. It was to strike a killing blow to American Imperialism. These people think global.
Actually, the League of Shadows under Ra's DID want to destroy Gotham because of its decadence and corruption; Ra's blatantly says so, and talks about the League also having been responsible for the destruction or downfall of other decadent and corrupt locations/societies, such as Rome.
Old July 23 2012, 02:24 AM   #299
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=O'Dib;6682001]
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Here's my question: Was the limp psychosomatic? Or is a specific injury from TDK? Cause despite having worn out all his joints, the doctor says nothing of the leg, that I recall. And the prosthetic seems to lose significance later on.
I have had the very same thought. He was emotionally and psychologically crippled. It took a real injury at the hands of Bane to over come all that.
Old July 23 2012, 02:31 AM   #300
DWF
Vice Admiral

O'Dib wrote: View Post
His knee was in pretty bad shape as was the rest of his joints.

Doctor: [from TV spot] I've seen worse cartilage in knees.
Bruce Wayne: It's good.
Doctor: No, that's because there is no cartilage in your knee. Scar tissue on your kidneys. Concussive damage to your brain tissue. I can not recommend that you go heliskiing.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote