Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2012, 09:28 PM   #16
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: What's next for Batman...

Hmm. There would be risk involved in returning to the Nolan-verse, and in bringing back the character of The Joker, but I don't think the risk would outweigh the potential reward to a significant enough degree to stop them from doing it if they so chose.

I do think that the risk associated with both ideas (returning to the Nolan-verse and bringing back The Joker) would be effectively and significantly minimized, though, by using the setup that Nolan provided to finally bring a variation of Batman Beyond to the screen.
Old July 22 2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Gojira
Commodore

I think they should use Batman in a JLA movie. If Christian Bale wants to play the character again that would be sweet but not essential. He can be recast. If the JLA movie does well then whoever plays Batman could launch into another solo set of movies. By then we will be ready for them.
Old July 22 2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I do think that the risk associated with both ideas (returning to the Nolan-verse and bringing back The Joker) would be effectively and significantly minimized, though, by using the setup that Nolan provided to finally bring a variation of Batman Beyond to the screen.
I like this idea a lot. And they could keep the title because it would totally fit.
Old July 22 2012, 11:08 PM   #19
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't mind seeing a new live-action Batman TV series, so long as it's done well. I'm with Warped9, in that I personally would like to see it set in the late 1930's or early 1940's, with Batman having more of a classic Lewis Wilson/Alex Ross Batman look, but that's just me personally.

I'm all for new Batman feature films, but not in the near future... I'd give the franchise a few years before revisiting it, or rebooting it, as will most likely occur. With this last Nolan Batman, comes the last time I can foresee spending money to see a DC-universe film. I have absolutely zero intention of seeing the new Superman, because I personally loved "Superman Returns", and felt it was perfect, and see no reason to undo what that film did, as if it somehow hurt the franchise.

But back on topic, I'm pretty sure the cartoon realm will be where any Batman projects stay for the time being, until the next big-screen film comes.
NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:23 PM   #20
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Speaking of the JLA, I highly doubt that next year's Man of Steel is going to have any connection to a JLA film if and when it materializes, primarily because Christopher Nolan has said that he has absolutely no interest in being even remotely involved in or with the establishment of a shared universe akin to what Marvel's doing with the MCU,
I'd take it as a given that Man of Steel won't set up any Justice League stuff in the manner of the way the individual Marvel films have been setting up the Avengers for years.

But just because he won't be involved in the Justice League movies it doesn't necessarily mean the new Superman won't be involved... or that, say, Zack Synder wouldn't be involved in some fashion.

The Joker was only 'off-limits' because Christopher Nolan did not feel it was appropriate to re-utilize the character following Heath's death; if someone did step into Nolan's shoes and do a continuation of the universe he established with the Dark Knight Trilogy, they would in no wise be beholden to the personal choice that Nolan made.
But at this point you're asking the question: Why continue the Nolanverse?

You have a new director, a new Joker, and very probably a new Batman (unless you convince Christian Bale to take up the cowl again). The connection to the Nolanverse would mostly be that the film undermines the intent of how Nolan concluded his last movie.

When you reach that point as a fan we're better off with a clean reboot. New Joker, new Batman, new director, new direction.
Old July 22 2012, 11:32 PM   #21
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Batman: The Musical

On Broadway.

Robert Smith will write the music.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:45 PM   #22
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

^

Aldready done... in a way.

NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:52 PM   #23
Let the Good Times Roll!!

NebulaClassGuy wrote: View Post
^

Aldready done... in a way.
Good Lord.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had envisioned.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:10 AM   #24
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The TAS retro-future always appealed to me most as the world Batman most belonged in and one of the few (out of so many) cartoon and movie Batverses where I could believe Superman or the JL might show up.

Whatever they do is going to be best served by not following Nolan's lead too much I think. We'll probably be waiting 5 years or so, plenty of time for them to put together another phenomenal creative team.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:16 AM   #25
Caliburn24
Commodore

I know that tonally it would be all wrong, but it would be amazing if at the end of Man of Steel(post credits or whatever) Christian Bale is sitting in Clark's apartment with a "proposition" about forming a group of heroes.

And while tonally and logistically it would be difficult to manage effectively it could work. The Bruce Wayne of the Nolanverse is more willing to play with others now and share his toys, he is somewhat distanced from Gotham(maybe now he cares about the whole world etc). He is in a good place to be sort of the founding father of the Justice League.

Will it happen like that? Probably not, but it would be sweet if it did.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
I know that tonally it would be all wrong, but it would be amazing if at the end of Man of Steel(post credits or whatever) Christian Bale is sitting in Clark's apartment with a "proposition" about forming a group of heroes.
With an eyepatch.
Old July 23 2012, 02:11 AM   #27
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Speaking of the JLA, I highly doubt that next year's Man of Steel is going to have any connection to a JLA film if and when it materializes, primarily because Christopher Nolan has said that he has absolutely no interest in being even remotely involved in or with the establishment of a shared universe akin to what Marvel's doing with the MCU,
I'd take it as a given that Man of Steel won't set up any Justice League stuff in the manner of the way the individual Marvel films have been setting up the Avengers for years.

But just because he won't be involved in the Justice League movies it doesn't necessarily mean the new Superman won't be involved... or that, say, Zack Synder wouldn't be involved in some fashion.
So long as Nolan remains attached to the MoS franchise as a producer, the character of Superman as represented in and by the MoS franchise will not be associated with the JLA because Nolan said that he wants no part whatsoever in anything having to do with the build-up to or creation of a shared MCU-style filmic universe, and unless Warner Bros. and DC plans on waiting until they've officially finished with the MoS franchise in its entirety, the only way they'll be able to use the Henry Cavill Superman in a JLA film or associate him with such a film will be if Nolan stops his association with the MoS franchise as a producer.

The Joker was only 'off-limits' because Christopher Nolan did not feel it was appropriate to re-utilize the character following Heath's death; if someone did step into Nolan's shoes and do a continuation of the universe he established with the Dark Knight Trilogy, they would in no wise be beholden to the personal choice that Nolan made.
But at this point you're asking the question: Why continue the Nolanverse?

You have a new director, a new Joker, and very probably a new Batman (unless you convince Christian Bale to take up the cowl again). The connection to the Nolanverse would mostly be that the film undermines the intent of how Nolan concluded his last movie.

When you reach that point as a fan we're better off with a clean reboot. New Joker, new Batman, new director, new direction.
Simple answer? Money and the ability to market a new series of Batman solo films set in the Nolanverse as being set in the Nolanverse. Being able to piggyback a new series of Batman solo films off of the success of Nolan's trilogy by touting that the new films are set in that same universe would be very helpful in generating marketing for said new set of films, which would lead to more money.
Old July 23 2012, 02:22 AM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

and DC plans on waiting until they've officially finished with the MoS franchise in its entirety, the only way they'll be able to use the Henry Cavill Superman in a JLA film or associate him with such a film will be if Nolan stops his association with the MoS franchise as a producer.
I wasn't sure if it's confirmed Nolan would be around for the sequels, honestly.

Simple answer? Money and the ability to market a new series of Batman solo films set in the Nolanverse as being set in the Nolanverse. Being able to piggyback a new series of Batman solo films off of the success of Nolan's trilogy by touting that the new films are set in that same universe would be very helpful in generating marketing for said new set of films, which would lead to more money.
I really think that's overstating the relevance of the universe as universe.

Christian Bale as Batman, Heath Ledger as Joker, Christopher Nolan directed, sure, all those things matter.

But a brand new Batman who is however also still in continuity with the older Batman? Less so. In this case the bankable property is the new Batman - like the new Spider-Man. The 'Nolanverse' is defined as Nolan's specific take, and his beginning-middle-end, on the Batman mythos. I don't think a new Batman movie would do better just because it says it's set in the same universe.
Old July 23 2012, 05:47 AM   #29
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Loved the Nolan movies but am ready for something different.

I'd like to see a Batman franchise that takes itself seriously enough in tone but has a place for heroics. A costume that isn't completely body armor, villains like Clayface, the Lazerous pit, killer Croc, basically the tone of the 90s animated series or something that's truer to the tone of the comics.

Last edited by Stone_Cold_Sisko; July 23 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 09:42 PM   #30
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

I loved the Nolan Batfilms and consider them to be the definitive versions of the character, as far as live action Batman films goes. (Batman: The Animated Series is the definitive version of Batman pretty much overall).

But I really would like to see some of the more fantastical Bat-villains show up in a new Batman film. The kind of baddies from the rogues' gallery who Nolan thought were too 'out there' for his films, like Clayface, Manbat and even the Penguin (who could have been done realistically even in a Nolan Batman film, IMO).

Having finally gotten the Batman films I've always wanted, thanks to Nolan, I'm now open to any new interpetation of the Dark Knight, just so long as they don't go overboard with the camp (such as in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin).

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote