Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2012, 10:35 PM   #841
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Ted - free admission
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - free admission
Powder Blue - DVD
Crazy, Stupid Love - HBO
To Rome With Love - free admission
The Do Deca Pentathlon - free admission
ZAAT! - free admission
Manhattan - free admission
Extraterrestre - free admission
Magic Mike - free admission
Coraline 3D - free admission
Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D - free admission
Beasts of the Southern Wild - free admission

First time seein' Coraline last week! Part of Drafthouse's Summer Kids' Camp series, it was playin' at Alamo Slaughter and in 3D, so I went...and got all kinds of grief for not havin' a kid with me. But I checked with the Alamo's twitter person, and they said a kid isn't necessary to get into the kids movie, so I was totally justified.

Also, that movie was pretty damn creepy.

Saw the fourth Ice Age in 3D at Alamo Slaughter the other day...not great, but not terrible, and pretty consistent with the previous movies in the series.

Went to Drafthouse South Lamar for the first show of the day of BotSW. Fairly decent film told from a child's perspective about life on a Louisiana barrier island before & after a hurricane (possibly Katrina, but no way to know for sure).

Saw Brave for a second time, in 2D, yesterday afternoon at Alamo Slaughter. Best part of that was the preshow - all Pixar shorts!

Not sure what I'll go to see tonight...

Last edited by od0_ital; July 18 2012 at 11:05 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:00 AM   #842
Agent Richard07
Admiral

200. 7 Faces of Dr. Lao: (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - A mysterious man visits a small town riding on the back of a donkey and sets up a circus for all to see, with various townsfolk being taught a thing or two thanks to his involvement. Tony Randall plays the title character as well as six others and I must say... Each performance was fantastic and shows what a talented and underrated actor he is. The life lessons were good too. This one never became a big-time classic, but it's worth seeing.

201. It Came from Beneath the Sea: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Biologists are called in to battle a giant octopus. The best part of the movie was the love life of one of our biologists played by the beautiful and lovely Faith Domergue.

202. Fugitive at 17: (✩✩½) - Live TV - TV movie about a teen who goes on the run from the police after she's falsely accused of getting her friend to overdoes on drugs at a party. It's "The Fugitive" with a teenage girl. It'll hold your attention, but that's about it.

203. The Adventures of Robin Hood: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Finally saw this classic. Very colorful, but slow and plodding. Apparently there was supposed to be a sequel, but it never got made due to the war effort.

204. The Three Musketeers: (✩✩½) - Live TV - Another classic. Even less engaging than Robin Hood, but I'm glad I tried to watch it. The only real positives were Vincent Price and seeing a young Angela Lansbury.

205. Ninja Assassin: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A woman who's trying to expose a clan of ninjas associated with a slew of murders finds herself being hunted by them. There to help her, is a former member of that clan. Shot in Germany, this one has lots of ninja work, ninjas hiding in shadows and a whole lot of blood splattering around like red paint. Not a great action movie, but it did remind me of Bruce Wayne's relationship with Ra's al Ghul's clan from Batman Begins.

206. The Rival: (✩✩½) - Live TV - TV movie about a woman who's jealous of her husband's supposed relationship with the surrogate who'd been hired to carry her child. Watchable if you have to plop down in front of the TV.

207. Brokeback Mountain: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Finally saw this and loved it. The two main characters aging 20 years was also somewhat believable. What's funny though, are all the connections to Nolan's Batman trilogy. We get to see the Joker (Heath Ledger) and Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) in the same movie. Then we have Jake Gyllenhaal, the sister of the actress who played Rachel Dawes and Michelle Williams, the costar of the other actress who played Rachel Dawes.

208. Due Date: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Robert Downey, Jr. and Zack Galifianakis. It was engaging enough and somewhat humourous in places, but it wasn't a great movie and Zack's character was endearing, but crass and annoying at times. This movie also reunites Downey with Michelle Monaghan, his costar from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Jamie Foxx, his costar from The Soloist.

Theatre: 10
DVD/Blu-Ray: 76
Live TV: 88
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 25
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:25 AM   #843
Harvey
Admiral

107. Three Colors: White (A-)
108. Logan's Run (C+)

Three Colors: White: This has been called the slightest film of this trilogy, but I think it's only marks a marginal decline from Three Colors: Blue. It's biggest problem is getting audiences to sympathize with the principal character, who loves his wife (swiftly, his ex-wife) despite her constant abuse. She divorces him for being able to perform sexually, wipes out his bank account, frames him for arson, and taunts his impotence over the phone. Yet, through all this antagonism, he still loves her. Even when he's ultimately completed a scheme to destroy her life, he still cries for her (at least, that's how I read the final shot). I think the ending might be the film's greatest strength; if Hollywood were to use this premise, his victory over her would be played solely as a just and happy one. Here, it's more ambiguous, and lends the movie a greater sense of reality.

Logan's Run: I've seen this 1976 sf film get rather savaged on this board for representing the nadir of 70s cheese, but I think that's a bit unfair. Oh, sure, there are moments (like the laughable robot) that must have looked silly 35 years ago, and certainly look silly now, but there are others that are more effective (the production design of the 23rd century, although very 70s, is pretty interesting). It's by no means a masterpiece (the direction is at times workmanlike, at other times renders sequences incoherent), but it makes for a passable spectacle. There's definitely room for a remake to improve upon it, although it's hard to imagine it getting away with the casual nudity and the pretty experimental score (by Jerry Goldsmith) that are present here.

Judging from Wikipedia, it departs rather dramatically from the novel (novella?), which also has a bunch of sequels. Worth reading?

Theatres: 41
Home Video: 59 +2
Computer: 8

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:51 PM   #844
nvek86
Commander

88. Mirror Mirror

The other Snow White film from this year and I liked it better than Snow White & the Huntsman. The advantage here is that the film knew what it wanted to be: simple, funny and great to look at (and I'll simply pretend the song/dance scene at the end did not happen).
Old July 20 2012, 02:25 PM   #845
Agent Richard07
Admiral

209. Something Borrowed: (✩✩✩) - DVD - A woman (Ginnifer Goodwin) falls for her best friend's (Kate Hudson) fiancé. The two of them then carry on an affair. This is a romantic comedy with some serious undertones, and it's based on a novel. Goodwin and Hudson are fun to watch and the sotory is gripping in that you'll want to know what will happen to their friendship once she finds out. I didn't like the movie's ending, but then I saw that it had a mid-credit sequence that sets things up for a sequel. Will it ever get made? This movie didn't do well critically or in terms of box office revenues, so I'm not holding my breath. I may have to read about what happens in the follow-up novel Something Blue.

210. Something New: (✩✩✩) - DVD - This isn't the sequel to Something Borrowed. It's something new. A single black career woman is set up on a blind date with a man and she's not comfortable with the fact that he's white. It stars Saana Lathan and Simon Baker and tackles racial issues from the perspective of its black cast of characters. There probably isn't a good way to raise the issue, but this movie does try to tackle its subject matter with balance, sensitivity and a bit of naturalistic humor.

211. The Dark Knight Rises: (✩✩✩✩½) - Theatre - I talk more about the movie here. I wanted to give it 5 stars, but I can't. It was fantastic, but it didn't blow me away. I think high expectations got the better of me. The movie had some powerful themes and moments, but they weren't milked as much as they could have been.

Theatre: 11
DVD/Blu-Ray: 78
Live TV: 88
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 25
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:07 PM   #846
CaptainCanada
Admiral

86. The Dark Knight Rises (A)

Discussed more thoroughly in the review thread. It's an epic, and arguably a bit messy in its plotting, but overall it's a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

Cinema: 20 (+1)
Home Video: 57

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 08:55 AM   #847
Harvey
Admiral

109. Horrible Bosses (B+)

Horrible Bosses: Funny and well-acted (especially the bosses: Jennifer Aniston reminds us she can act; Colin Farrell plays completely against type; Spacey essentially reprising his superb turn from Swimming with Sharks), this comedy doesn't break any barriers, but is consistently entertaining. The leads do their job but aren't as memorable, except for Charlie Day, who proves he has absolutely no range as an actor, which doesn't stop him from stealing scene after scene. The characters behave like utter morons in a way that keeps the plot moving, but unlike most other movies, the point is that they actually are utter morons.

Apparently a sequel is in the works; although the ending is open rather than closed, I can't see a follow-up doing anything that isn't a complete repetition of this film's premise. Assuming the three leads remain the same, casting some horrible bosses as good as the group here might make it worth seeing, but they'll be difficult to top.

Theatres: 41
Home Video: 60 +1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 07:52 PM   #848
nvek86
Commander

89. The Cabin in the Woods

I thought this was quite boring, maybe because I don't watch a lot of horror films and didn't get all the references/allusions this film contained.
The one part I really did like was...
Old July 21 2012, 11:58 PM   #849
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

21) Moonrise Kingdom - (2012) - A
22) Fantastic Mr. Fox - (2009) - B+
23) The Dark Knight Rises - (2012) - B+

I'm going to try to not give spoilers, but if something slips, I apologize.

I went in to TDKR probably with a bit too high expectations, because while it was a good movie, there were parts of it that were a bit frustrating. Maybe it was the lack of power from Heath Ledgers Joker, or some lack of focus that made the first Nolan Batman film a lot tighter, I don't know, but I felt this one kind of went all over the place. The cast did very well and there was a great story here, but maybe with some editing, it could have been a lot better. I will say I really liked Hathaway as Catwoman, even though I kept thinking "she's no Michelle Pfeiffer" and Joseph Gordon Levitt continues to impress me with all the movies he is in. Right now in terms of probably favorite male/female young actors getting in their prime, I would rank Emma Stone and Gordon Levitt at the top.

Theater: 9 (+1)
BluRay: 6
On Demand/TV: 2
Itunes: 6
Old July 22 2012, 04:10 AM   #850
stj
Rear Admiral

The Chameleon, starring Ellen Barkin as the druggie mother of a missing son, Nick Stahl as his violent druggie brother, Emilie Ravin as his weepy sister and Famke Janssen as a cop of some sort. The plot starts when a boy speaking French claims to be the missing son. His sister comes to France, positively identifies him and he goes home. The movie takes a twist when he is exposed as a fraud. The resolution is that everyone identified him as the missing son so that he could provide an alibi. For the brother? Or possibly the mother?

The interesting thing is that after I saw this I found there is a new documentary out about the true case that inspired this. (The real case took place in Texas, not the more colorful Louisiana.) Like Monster or Daniel y Ana, the discovery it's supposed to be about real people is disconcerting and makes me uncomfortable. Accusing real people, instead of characters, of murder is serious business. The movie is indie solemn but I suspect takes far too many liberties with characters to feel right about fingering a real person.

Of course the thing about Monster is the way it exonerated the Wuornos' girlfriend and the thing about Daniel y Ana was the hysteria mongering. But the slapdash Hollywood approach to fact (shared by indies) makes movies about private figures seem intrinsically suspect. Public figures we usually know enough about (since they're public) to catch "artistic" deviations.

PS I saw an EW sidebar on this and they didn't even seem to be aware of this movie.
Old July 22 2012, 06:44 AM   #851
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

21) Moonrise Kingdom - (2012) - A
22) Fantastic Mr. Fox - (2009) - B+
23) The Dark Knight Rises - (2012) - B+
24) Contagion - (2011) - B

Talk about a movie that hits the ground running. We pretty much start when people were starting to get sick and all the character development would have to happen deep in the plot. I thought that kind of format worked here. We're introduced to several characters and their own different stories and each one got it's time, except for Marion Cotillard, which seemed to be a little wasted in this film. Other than that, it was a pretty good movie with excellent pacing and a great cast.

Theater: 9
BluRay: 6
On Demand/TV: 3 (+1)
Itunes: 6
Old July 22 2012, 09:58 PM   #852
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

47. Kill Bill vol.2: B
48. The Amazing Spider-man: B-
49. Virgin Territory: C-
50. 21 Jump Street: B+
51. The Dark Knight Rises: A-

My full review is here from the discussion thread. It's long...god is it long and not in a good way. That's my biggest glaring detraction. The narrative could've been sped along, too much exposition was happening at times imo. As Bruce's back healed mine was starting to ache from time in the seat.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth seeing at least once on the big screen. If this Nolan-verse is truly closed I'd like to have a tonal change for the next Batman world. I don't mean campy but there has to be a line of fun similar to what is happening at Marvel for Batman on screen. The character lends himself, and has as evidenced by '60's show, Burton and now Nolan to many variations.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:06 PM   #853
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I think a problem I had with DKR the more I think about it was it didn't feel like a batman movie to me. I'm not asking for the campiness of Batman and Robin, but it was almost as if it was a thriller and Batman was a bit of an afterthought. Perhaps, again, my expectations were too high and that diminished my feeling on the movie somewhat.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; July 22 2012 at 11:58 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:38 PM   #854
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Batman in the Nolan films has been a secondary character. I agree with that feeling.
He was even more backseat for this film. Long, long stretches with no Batman in a Batman film.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:22 AM   #855
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Ted - free admission
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - free admission
Powder Blue - DVD
Crazy, Stupid Love - HBO
To Rome With Love - free admission
The Do Deca Pentathlon - free admission
ZAAT! - free admission
Manhattan - free admission
Extraterrestre - free admission
Magic Mike - free admission
Coraline 3D - free admission
Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D - free admission
Beasts of the Southern Wild - free admission
The Dark Knight Rises - matinee

I reimbursed crusherdisciple for our tickets to see TDKR yesterday, since the show sold out & I couldn't use my employee discount to get in for free.

I liked the movie more than she did, but I still think TDK is the best of the three films.

Will probably see it a couple more times, once I can get in for free. And may pay to see it at the Bob Bullock IMAX after my next payday.

Been fallin' a bit behind in my movie watchin', since not a whole lot of new stuff has come out the last couple of weeks, and I haven't been able to watch DVDs, either.

Gonna have to play catchup if I'm goin' to get back to my new movie a day average...