Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2012, 09:42 PM   #271
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Obiwanshinobi, Mr. Adventure is right. I did intentionally call her 'Tatelia' (Tate + Talia) in reflection of Marion's dual role in the film.
oh gotcha. while we're talking about her, did anybody else think her and bruce hooking up in front of the fireplace came out of nowhere?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:47 PM   #272
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Obiwanshinobi, Mr. Adventure is right. I did intentionally call her 'Tatelia' (Tate + Talia) in reflection of Marion's dual role in the film.
oh gotcha. while we're talking about her, did anybody else think her and bruce hooking up in front of the fireplace came out of nowhere?
I just expect that in movies. Connor gets laid in the Highlander movies immediately after basically saying "I am Connor McLeod and I cannot die.".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:50 PM   #273
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Grade: A-
For this thread: Good

Before reading anyone else's reviews, pro critic or msg board, here are my summary thoughts.

It's a good film, if long. It's a long film that fills long and while that can be alright for an initial viewing for me personally (see TDK) it means reduced re-watchability. Even though I disagree with the politics of the film Nolan crafted a solid film and solid trilogy. He, Bale, Caine and Freeman may not want or feel a need to come back but clearly Nolan left the door open to this universe.

The movie is more lacking in action pieces, perhaps due to the length? There are long stretches of narrative that seem to drag the film down a few times in the film. The worst is during his time in the, I assume, West African prison cell. I think those sequences could've been moved along better with a montage...something. I felt my back was breaking from being in my theater chair too long while being conveyed that Bruce's back was healing. Marked down a notch for that.

A glaring omission of the narrative was any mention of Joker. THE agent of chaos is never mentioned as chaos is seemingly happening all around. It's only more glaring an omission cause every main player in the saga got some face time EXCEPT Joker. Now, I get the face time, respect for the family. However, some mention of what, where, who the Joker is with or doing seems too much a stretch. Marked down a notch for that.

Alfred actually leaving, while not uncharacteristic of the character I didn't feel it added anything to this particular narrative. Bruce going from seemingly needing a mechanical knee brace pre-back break, to body back in peak shape was just a disconnect really. Over thinking it, I don't think so. Also, did I miss the Mirranda Tate/Talia and Bruce googly eyes at each other? Where did the sudden "let's fuck" moment come from? Marked down a notch for that.

With available rumors months, and months ago it became clear either where those started or that indeed someone did a leak regarding Detective Blake. When his background of having come from a boys home was mentioned it led some credence to the Robin mythos (Jason Todd), then he mentions how he deduced Wayne was Batman (Tim Drake) so the themes were in play. Points there.

Bane coming from a prison. Bane doing the classic back break pose. Bane having affection for Talia. Bane freeing inmates from Blackgate. Selina having her own personal ally/ward with her. All positive inspiration from the comics woven together. Points there.

Gordon getting separated/divorced (can't recall how he phrased it) is a true comic character development. Bruce going into seclusion, taking Batman out of the game ala The Dark Knight Returns was a thread pulled from there woven into this. Separating Gotham from the outside world due to a catastrophe and seeing Kangaroo courts and a struggle for basic necessities pulls from the story lines of Cataclysm where Gotham underwent an earthquake. Points there.

This is neither here nor there and not part of my grading but since the theme was "target the rich" it might've been an interesting visual nod to see perhaps Cobblepot Estate. Maybe being ransacked and/or hearing about squatters taking up there.

So while this saga "appears" to be concluded there really is no reason this universe need not go on. Batman vanished for awhile and came back. Just cause this film ends with him gone again doesn't mean he can't come back. Especially if Robin really gets things up and going in Gotham as the end seems to demonstrate he just might. Nolan set up Robin, perhaps as producer of a 4th film he could help craft another return of the Bat with another installment.

I'm likely going to see this again mid week. That's a few days for this to marinate to test the re-watchability.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:50 PM   #274
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I figured Nolan would be above that cliche, I was mistaken. Oh well.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:51 PM   #275
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

More interestingly is that Bruce's tryst with Miranda/Talia is the first time in the Nolan films Bruce gets any "action," as it were. Apart from some smooching at the end of Batman Begins, we never see him romancing anyone (which led to my theory that the whole reason he's such a good "angry" Batman is because he just really needs to get laid. Sure enough, once he does, he gets the shit kicked out of him by Bane.
Old July 22 2012, 09:56 PM   #276
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Blake's first name might be Robin, but the film's ending rather heavily implies that Batman will eventually re-emerge, and that when it happens, it will happen with Blake wearing the cowl, armor, and cape.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:58 PM   #277
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I have to add in here as someone who didn't like the 80s films at all, doesn't read comics.
I liked this film A LOT. I felt it was better than the previous outing...and on par with Batman Begins.
vampgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:09 PM   #278
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
More interestingly is that Bruce's tryst with Miranda/Talia is the first time in the Nolan films Bruce gets any "action," as it were. Apart from some smooching at the end of Batman Begins, we never see him romancing anyone (which led to my theory that the whole reason he's such a good "angry" Batman is because he just really needs to get laid. Sure enough, once he does, he gets the shit kicked out of him by Bane.
By god, Talia thought of everything! She's diabolical!
Old July 22 2012, 11:11 PM   #279
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Greg, was there any real build up to their nookie in the script?
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:14 PM   #280
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I'm not in favour of any further works in the Nolanverse - I think Nolan's said what he wanted to say here and it's time to pass the cowl to the next creative team as the film passed it to John Blake - but I'd be particularly opposed to any film that returns Christian Bale to being Batman. That would just rob this movie of the significance of Wayne's entire character arc here. Wayne is done being Batman, it's Blake's turn to be Gotham's superhero.

...although, yeah, sure, I'd like a Catwoman movie as much as the next person, but what chance is there of that happening anyway (and this Catwoman has settled down happily with Bruce Wayne, so... eh.)

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure the movie did not make one lick of sense - but I kinda don't care.
Me neither, to be honest. I was emphasizing the logical flaws of the film in that post there because the person I was talking to felt that it isn't fair to compare the Dark Knight Rises to Prometheus because Prometheus cannot be considered a good film due to its galling plot holes - to which I pointed out DKR also has some big plot holes.

I enjoyed the heck out of Dark Knight Rises. And I also enjoyed Prometheus, and in each case it was in spite of their faults. One can pick apart the logic in plot terms of the prison hole, for example, but dramatically and emotionally it was where the movie needed Batman to be: Unable to save his city, unable to do anything at all. That entire stretch about DKR is about the situation getting worse and worse and the film's heroes being either unsuccessful (Gordon, Blake) untrustworthy (Catwoman) or simply impotent (Batman). There's a lot that works for the film even if it doesn't make sense in other ways, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by Kegg; July 22 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:18 PM   #281
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Greg, was there any real build up to their nookie in the script?
Just what you saw in the movie.

But consider: Bruce is having a really bad day. He's lost his fortune, Alfred has abandoned him, Gordon has been shot up, Bane is causing havoc. He's standing in the rain, locked out of his own lonely mansion, having lost pretty much everything and everyone in his life . . . is it really surprising that he would welcome whatever comfort Miranda offered? She caught him at a really vulnerable moment, on a rainy night in front of a warm fireplace.

And, of course, she has her own agenda.
Old July 22 2012, 11:33 PM   #282
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Talia has her own agenda...that's really all that's important.

If a bullet list of bad day items was all that was needed to get laid the world would be one big shag shack.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:37 PM   #283
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
Talia has her own agenda...that's really all that's important.

If a bullet list of bad day items was all that was needed to get laid the world would be one big shag shack.
But it may explain why Bruce finally succumbs to her charms.

Seriously, Miranda Tate throws herself at you at the end of a rough day, and you're going to say no?

That scene played out perfectly naturally to me . . . .
Old July 22 2012, 11:38 PM   #284
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's interesting that Bruce's philanthropic actions didn't sway her opinion one bit in the end. Blind revenge and all I guess but kind of odd. EDIT: Well, I guess if you're going to kill 12 million people, not too odd....
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 11:41 PM   #285
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's interesting that Bruce's philanthropic actions didn't sway her opinion one bit in the end. Blind revenge and all I guess but kind of odd.
Why would his philanthropic activities sway her in any way? She's the head of the League of Shadows. She does not give a damn about philanthropy. Plus...he killed her father....or more precisely allowed him to die.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote